PDA

View Full Version : I need the Sky!

kevinmcpoland
10-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Ok, I've posted this on a different forum but no one seems to be able to help...

My project is to show various angles of a plane flying in the air... Sounds simple right?

I have the airplane, but my problem comes with gettin a realistic sky with no ground plane (after all, it's quite high up there!!).

I have tried using SkyTracer 2 to get the nice sky, and wanted to bake it to save on rendering times, but I can't get rid of the horizon line/ground plane. The idea is to move the camera around the plane whilst it is in flight, and if I bake SkyTracer I keep getting the ground plane, when I wanted it to look like there were clouds underneath aswell. Even if I use the Ozone plug in it keeps giving me the horizon line. Surely someone must have done an image where you were so high up you couldn't see the ground?

So, if anyone can tell me another way to achieve my wish, or tell me how to disable the ground plane, I would appreciate it.

p.s. I have tried just raising the camera up about 3km, but still cant get rid of the blooming ground.... or should I be turning the ground plane into a cloud base...? HELP!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin McPoland

renderingfarmer
10-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Well with skytracer the thing is, no matter how high you go there will always be "ground" so to speak, kind of like in reality, no matter how high you go a slight tilt will have some part of you facing earth. What I'd do is work on getting some clouds as an "inbetween" layer so you've got sky above and clouds below.
Just do a quick search in the forum here I remember some really good cloud discussions a few weeks ago.

Mylenium
10-29-2003, 11:40 PM
Well, since SKT will alway try to simulate a spheroid planet, there is always more or less of a visible horizon. However, all other tools I know do have the same approach and behavior. The only solution would be to create some textures manually and use them on an environment sphere. You could also use several textures mapped with transparency onto flat planes to simulate your clouds. Anothe way is using HyperVoxels or GroundFog with proper settings.

Mylenium