PDA

View Full Version : Scene name overlay in OpenGL?

monovich
09-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Is there a way to create or activate an overlay that shows the current scene name in OpenGL view? I'm trying to work with an editor and need a visual way to keep track of shots she is using in the edit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not rendering my shots, I'm just generating previews right now so the render overlays won't work for me.

nickdigital
09-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I guess the crude way would be to make a lwo that's parented to the camera. Not very convenient or flexible though and you'd have to be building a new object for each scene.

probiner
09-25-2012, 02:32 PM
If your preview is with OGL, an ok solution would be to make a Null parented to camera with "Item Shape" where you put the scene name on "Label".
If you're using VPR instead, I would guess that an Image set on "Foreground" in the "Compositing Tab" would show up too.

Cheers

monovich
09-25-2012, 04:03 PM
I tried both of these and while they work, they go to pieces if you are using depth of field preview

What I've done is create a slider and I rename the null to the scene name. That floats on top of everything in OpenGL and isn't affected by DOF.

Thanks for the suggestions! I should add a feature request somewhere. It would really improve my workflow.

Greenlaw
09-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I've been wanting this feature too. At home, I typically use VPR and OGL animation previews for blocking and animatics, and having the shot number appear in frame would be very convenient. I appreciate that the frame numbers are visible in the preview render but I wish there was the option to also burn in the scene name, like we have when rendering animation through f10 or LWSN.

G.

Dexter2999
09-25-2012, 10:50 PM
There is a solution for Preview that does not support DOF.
There is a solution if you render that allows you to use DOF.

Would putting the info in the name of the saved preview not communicate the idea?

Not trying to bash or anything, just sounds like your situation is a very specific instance of your own making.

jeric_synergy
09-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I can TOTALLY see how one would want this, especially in a group environment. More auto-documentation, less confusion.

I wonder how exposed the slider parameters are in the SDK? You could put all sorts of information into the slider name.

In high-end editors, where do they store all that information one occasionally sees when you see a rough cut?

EDIT: PLUS, in the existing render overlay, I can think of all sorts of features that would be great to have for rough edits and whatnot. Currently there's some ludicrously small # of characters you can get in there.... :bangwall:

And that feature is really 'low-hanging fruit'. "Double the number of characters in the render overlay." How hard could that be?

Greenlaw
09-25-2012, 11:16 PM
For animatics, where I absolutely don't need or want full rendering features, I like being able to do quick OGL/VPR previews and dropping the shot directly on the timeline of my video editor--it's just a lot faster to knock out an edit this way, especially if I happen to be away from my render farm. It seems a small matter to add an optional text overlay to previews since Lightwave is already able to burn in a frame number overlay.

jeric_synergy
09-25-2012, 11:49 PM
This is the kind of thing that I think could be added very quickly by a large-brained scripter: no need to prise open the core code.

If the ability to A) extract the Scene name and B) create a slider with that name exists in either LScript, Python, or thru the SDK, well, time to get a Kickstarter campaign going.

Coding time X coder$ rate=NewFeature.

Dexter2999
09-26-2012, 12:00 AM
For animatics, where I absolutely don't need or want full rendering features, I like being able to do quick OGL/VPR previews and dropping the shot directly on the timeline of my video editor--it's just a lot faster to knock out an edit this way, especially if I happen to be away from my render farm. It seems a small matter to add an optional text overlay to previews since Lightwave is already able to burn in a frame number overlay.

But that's just it, you don't HAVE to render with full rendering features. There are Wireframe and Quickshade options. And you can bang them out at a lower resolution if you want.

I still think this sounds more like a workflow issue than a feature issue.

Greenlaw
09-26-2012, 12:01 AM
...In high-end editors, where do they store all that information one occasionally sees when you see a rough cut?

EDIT: PLUS, in the existing render overlay, I can think of all sorts of features that would be great to have for rough edits and whatnot. Currently there's some ludicrously small # of characters you can get in there.... :bangwall:

And that feature is really 'low-hanging fruit'. "Double the number of characters in the render overlay." How hard could that be?

I agree. BTW, at work where we use Fusion, we're able to pull a variety of useful info from the rendered frame's metadata and burn selected info onto the image, and then output a clip for our editing system. IMO, it would be very useful to do this directly in Lightwave in OGL, VPR, and even non-camera viewports as a HUD type display. The data is all there--all that's needed is an option to display it.

G.

Dexter2999
09-26-2012, 12:12 AM
BTW you can enter a ton of info using the Item Comment Plug in. Apply it to a null. Unless I am missing something it seems to work fine in Preview renderings even with DOF.

But I won't argue the usefulness of Metadata. It would be nice if this plug were written to work with that info. or as a way to enter Metadata Tags.

Greenlaw
09-26-2012, 12:19 AM
I still think this sounds more like a workflow issue than a feature issue.
True. But, really, would it be a big deal to display the file name as an overlay in a preview render? Layout can do this in an f9/f10 render, so why not for VPR and OGL preview renders--besides, preview already contains a partial data overlay, so why not add the option to include the scene name as well?

Just to be clear, there are more important features I'd like to see put into Lightwave first, but as Jeric said, this should be a low hanging fruit. :)

G.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Just to be clear, there are more important features I'd like to see put into Lightwave first, but as Jeric said, this should be a low hanging fruit. :)
G.
Unfortunately, all the "low-hanging fruit" threads get hijacked by the nimnulls who want realtime volumentric subsurface ambient occlusion raytracing. While I'm lobbying to get the Content Directory working correctly. :cursin:

All that juicy metadata... heck, is it inserted at all? It may well be. :stumped:

Greenlaw
09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Whoops! I need to correct myself: even though VPR has the option to add an OGL overlay it does not display frame numbers like the regular OGL preview animation renders. This is certainly not a critical issue but if adding it happens to be 'easy' for a dev, I'd like to see the familiar data burns for both types of preview renders. Just a wish. :)

G.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2012, 10:58 AM
From the depths of my ignorance, I think (ha!) this would take a master-class plugin, as my impression of them is they are like a daemon and could continually update frame # labels.

Anyway, one thing that interests me: how much is this worth to users? $5? $10? And how much do programmers get paid?

Greenlaw
09-26-2012, 11:06 AM
If it was fully configurable to overlay metadata or whatever data I wanted, and worked for all preview and render modes, it would certainly be worth $10 to me...maybe a little more if it actually enhances my workflow. ;)

G.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2012, 11:16 AM
OK, let's say ten bucks. I'm guessing programmers make at least $500 day. (Based on ma cousine's hourly.) Maybe two days to program such a thing, so we need $1000 to make it worth their while.

So, we just need 100 LightWave users to throw a tenner into escrow, advertise "come and get it!" and sit back. ;)

probiner
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Best, I think would be a Viewport Overlay setting that you could set like a RTF or HTML table with fluid widht and height, where text would aligned, etc.
Several info could be added with keywords, like costum title, scene file($sf), current frame($cf), total number of frames(($ft), version, date ($d), camera($c).

Cheers

PS: oh, yeah greenlaw solutions sound better :D

monovich
09-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Not trying to bash or anything, just sounds like your situation is a very specific instance of your own making.

I save my previews in a very orderly way, but it's the editor and client that can't get with my system. Once they get into the editing bay it's all just a pile of footage to them and naming conventions don't matter when the CEO says "I like this shot not this shot" and sends out a screen grab. Burn-in makes sure nobody can sabotage my organization. With 50+ shots in the edit (not counting per-shot revisions), hunting for shots is not an option.

So yes this may be my own specific situation, but when is that last time anyone has used the 5 or 6 other random overlays that are offered (Such as Harmonious Triangles or Golden Spiral)? I'd trade them all in for this feature. :)

monovich
09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
PS Worley has a render plugin that works great for data overlay. Of course, it doesn't work for OpenGL, but its pretty robust.
http://butterflynetrender.com/web5/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=9&Itemid=130

As far as rendering to wireframe or quickshade instead of OpenGL. Even at level one AA a DOF scene can take 5-20 seconds per frame to render in quickshade wheras in OpenGL it's instant with a good video card. With the volume of shots and revisions I'm doing, we are talking about days and days saved over the course of the project.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2012, 12:36 PM
So yes this may be my own specific situation, but when is that last time anyone has used the 5 or 6 other random overlays that are offered (Such as Harmonious Triangles or Golden Spiral)? I'd trade them all in for this feature. :)
Yeah, I certainly hope no more than an hour was spent on THAT useless feature. :devil:

Meanwhile, how many characters do we get in the (not pertinent to this discussion) render overlay? 20? Fifteen? feh.

Greenlaw
09-26-2012, 03:02 PM
..but when is that last time anyone has used the 5 or 6 other random overlays that are offered (Such as Harmonious Triangles or Golden Spiral)? I'd trade them all in for this feature. :)
Maybe I'm weird but I actually I use these overlays in Lightwave from time to time. (I use such rules outside of Lightwave too.) But yeah, it would be awesome if the overlay was user customizable. :)

G.