yep >
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/foundry-and-luxology-merge-fxg-exclusive

Thomas Leitner
09-25-2012, 02:24 AM
The Foundry and Luxology join forces.
See:
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/
and:
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/articles/2012/09/25/415/the-foundry-and-luxology-q-and-as/?utm_campaign=GLOBAL%2012%20Sept%20Luxology%20Anno uncement%20Email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua&elq=6dd93c9ce734460793c5ea452b96c7d9&elqCampaignId=377

ciao
Thomas

Serling
09-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Just got the email. Here's a snippet:

Dear Phil,

I am really excited to be able to tell you that The Foundry and Luxology are a joint entity as of today. We’ll keep you posted on developments, but in the interim please visit our Q&A page that we hope covers many of your questions.

Layoffs (Autodesk) and mergers (above) are signs of companies trying to survive in tight economic times. Here's hoping NewTek is weathering these times.

Must be a hot topic. LOL!

Steve: feel free to dump this thread. The other two beat me to it by nanoseconds. :hey:

walfridson
09-25-2012, 02:34 AM
As for marketing, the merger means The Foundry can leverage Luxology’s inroads into the game development and design industries, and Luxology can take advantage of The Foundry’s ties to film and broadcast. “As of this week, we’re sharing sales and marketing,” Collis says. “Product wise, we’ll still have separate products. But, people wise, where it makes sense, we’re sharing already.”

wouldn't have mind them joining with newtek instead...

Captain Obvious
09-25-2012, 02:39 AM
Seeing how Luxology are hiring, I don't see how this means that they're struggling to survive.

Darth Mole
09-25-2012, 03:02 AM
The Foundry makes nice, production-proven and stable apps - so maybe now modo won't bug out at the slightest thing like it currently does.

First thing I'd do is ditch modo's awful paint functions and add the Mari tech - or at least a subset of it. Instantly makes modo a much more appealing proposition for modellers/texturers.

geo_n
09-25-2012, 03:27 AM
Looks like the adaptation rate of modo 601 is not as high as expected. The Foundry is a bigger company with high end software. Its good that modo chose to merge with them rather than AD.

Some interesting info.
http://www.luxology.com/products/The_Foundry_announcement/questions_and_answers/index.aspx
Lux founders reporting directly to Bill Collis, CEO of The Foundry.
The price of modo 601 will not change. For future releases Luxology will take their usual approach of assessing product pricing on a release by release basis.

Seeing the price of mari, will modo be assesed to go in line with the same pricing.

fablefox
09-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Looks like the adaptation rate of modo 601 is not as high as expected. The Foundry is a bigger company with high end software. Its good that modo chose to merge with them rather than AD.

Some interesting info.
http://www.luxology.com/products/The_Foundry_announcement/questions_and_answers/index.aspx
The price of modo 601 will not change. For future releases Luxology will take their usual approach of assessing product pricing on a release by release basis.

Seeing the price of mari, will modo be assesed to go in line with the same pricing.

The adaptation is due to functioality. Ca is still half baked (out of a good licensed tech though). No sound support except indie plug in. Etc etc. I think it will get more people (ex ad?) to bring it to up to standard. The price then will be around cinema or maya. Except it is a good, easy to use software.

fablefox
09-25-2012, 04:30 AM
And if you read the articles at the fxguide, you will notice why the adaption rate is slow for modo. They go for small guys. Studios like digital domain, which at a location alone could have 280 employee, will think deeply before uses software from 30 man company.

And this merger will change that.

Quote:
Joking aside, Luxology can now approach some of the companies Pebbler mentioned with much more clout than prior to the merger. Luxology is not just hanging with the ‘big boys’ – it is one of the big boys now, and it would have to be expected that other companies would now be more willing to work with Luxology and also just buy from Luxology, now the company is over 200 people strong and so widely connected.
We asked Peebler if one of the reasons for merging the company was being able to go to other companies and now being able to command more attention? ”That wasn’t a conscious part of it, but it can’t hurt,” he replied. “Part of our business is as OEM – we license our technology to Solidworks – they include our renderer with their base package and they have over a million customers. Bentley which has MicroStation has over 300,000 customers licenses our renderer as well. When you’re going to these companies, as a small company as Luxology was, that is a challenging point. If you’re a company that has a million customers, are you going to standardize on a renderer that is from a company of only 30 people.”
It also will help with the adoption of modo, no longer is the product ‘risky’ as it comes from a small company. Pebbler points out that, “in terms of our ability to go in and sell 100 seats of Modo to a studio, that’s more likely to happen now than it was a week ago. Our sales model is radically different than theirs (The Foundry). The vast majority of our sales happen online – that was by design. When we started the company 10 years ago, online sales were barely nascent. This market was really driven by bars and high-touch sales model – we made the decision to first build up an online sales mechanism…what happens with resellers is that they get grouchy about your online sales. We have managed to build up a strong reseller channel, but nowhere near the direct sales model that The Foundry has. What you need at that high end VFX level, is not always pre and post close sales, but then a sales support after the fact. When you’re ILM, they’re not coming to your webstore and running a credit card and going off – they need a relationship, someone they can talk to – The Foundry has that level of sales and support model that we simply don’t. That does open up a level of business that we didn’t have before.”

geo_n
09-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Yeah. This is lux's move to get a significant piece of the market. Giving up the reigns to Foundry though will change things in the future, higher pricing, upgrade policy, etc.

lardbros
09-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Well, got the email this morning, and reckon it'll be nothing but brilliant for Luxology. Don't use Modo currently, but The Foundry have a marketing and strategic goal that I like... and like the company and all their products... good on them! I hope this works out for them both!

Now, Newtek could get straight on the case of implementing a Nuke export and a Fusion integration while they're at it too :D

kopperdrake
09-25-2012, 05:24 AM
Interesting to see where they go and if they'll keep the smaller studios and one man/two man bands on board whilst chasing the bigger studios. It's sure a tough place out there at the moment, with the whole thing in flux (studios, software suppliers, artists), its' really hard to figure out where the future lies. Do you reach for the big guys, wherever they end up being, hoping their big numbers help you grow/sustain/survive, but with the caveat that one or two big customers can put a company out of business. Do you stay with the small guys, who might at worst shrink their seats but can be more likley to weather a storm in some guise.

Seriously tough times. I suspect the price will go up once the software offering demands it, and the smaller studios/hobbyists will either cough up or look elsewhere. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens in the long haul.

geo_n
09-25-2012, 05:25 AM
So the Caylyle group of investors own the Foundry?
http://www.carlyle.com/news-room/news-release-archive/carlyle-group-acquire-visual-effects-software-developer-foundry-advent-ven

What's stopping them from selling the goods(Foundry,Lux) when its sellable? AD might be shopping in the future :D

khan973
09-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Very interesting and surprising new!

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/articles/2012/09/25/415/the-foundry-and-luxology-q-and-as/?utm_campaign=GLOBAL%2012%20Sept%20Luxology%20Anno uncement%20Email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua&elq=cf4def77b82d4534abc85c1556fad111&elqCampaignId=377

DogBoy
09-25-2012, 06:02 AM
thread #4.

khan973
09-25-2012, 06:21 AM
thread #4.

sorryt, how can I remove?

DogBoy
09-25-2012, 06:31 AM
sorryt, how can I remove?

Don't be. I almost posted about it too ;)

DogBoy
09-25-2012, 06:33 AM
http://www.carlyle.com/news-room/news-release-archive/carlyle-group-acquire-visual-effects-software-developer-foundry-advent-ven

What's stopping them from selling the goods(Foundry,Lux) when its sellable? AD might be shopping in the future :D

Oh, that is scary.

rcallicotte
09-25-2012, 06:42 AM
OMG. Got this email from The Foundry.

I am really excited to be able to tell you that The Foundry and Luxology are a joint entity as of today.

Luxology is home to the award-winning 3D software modo as well as some of the most notable brains in the field of 3D modelling and rendering.

modo is an established player in the design, CAD and architectural visualisation worlds as well as our more familiar territory - VFX - where we share numerous clients including Smoke & Mirrors, Double Negative and The Embassy.

Luxology shares our desire to build products that address genuine industry need. They are innovative, customer focussed, community-driven and we can’t wait to start working with them.

Our products and background technology are very distinct, but are also obviously highly complementary. In the short term we will be continuing to develop the interaction between our products, which will be of immediate benefit to all of our customers. We can’t wait to see what our combined experience and knowledge will allow us to build in the long term.

We’ll keep you posted on developments, but in the interim please visit our Q&A page that we hope covers many of your questions.

Thanks,

Bill Collis

50one
09-25-2012, 07:08 AM
The Foundry makes nice, production-proven and stable apps - so maybe now modo won't bug out at the slightest thing like it currently does.

First thing I'd do is ditch modo's awful paint functions and add the Mari tech - or at least a subset of it. Instantly makes modo a much more appealing proposition for modellers/texturers.

+1, the paining/sculpting is a joke with anything above 100k polys on screen., being a Modo user I'm quite happy to see this, not really a Foundry product user myself, but hopefully I will benefit from this, time will tell:)

rcallicotte
09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
From the Modocast it is clear The Foundry and Luxology have already been working on software development.

silviotoledo
09-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Time to have Newtek plus Adobe :)

another user suggestion :)

Efforts to better integrate After Effects and Lightwave ( specially now that we have a 3D plugin for after from the video copilot guy ). Would be so awesome.

The user base from after effects is bigger than the Foundry one and after is easier to use. A bit more popular and is not " behind" technology.
We can do a lot of professional compositions for cinema using After Effects!

robertoortiz
09-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Wow this is good news for CG in general. More competition to the Autodesk Monopoly can only be good.

Lightwolf
09-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Time to have Newtek plus Adobe :)

another user suggestion :)

Ouch... that would be even worse than AD gobbling up LW3D ;)

Cheers,
Mike

alexos
09-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Uhm... It sounds like the Foundry bought Lux to me; which in turn, for some reason, sounds... Not so good. But perhaps I'm wrong.

ADP.

cagey5
09-25-2012, 08:12 AM
I can see it being good for all concerned. The only downside would be loss of independance, that may be important at some point in the future.

[edit] All these threads should be merged too. [edit] Like this :)

Bookman
09-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Looks like all I had been hoping for, with an advanced LW/Nuke Pipeline is all but dead now. :P

m.d.
09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Ya don't do that....
I am a big adobe user but....they have killed off bigger products then lightwave in a heartbeat.....
If a certain product is not generating significant revenue they will discontinue in a heartbeat.
They probably let one product go every year.

If they did buy lightwave it would be included in CS
....they bought speedgrade last year which was a $40,000 piece of software....now it is freely included in CS6

Bookman
09-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Ouch... that would be even worse than AD gobbling up LW3D ;)

Cheers,
Mike

yeah, that would not turn out well for LW. I'm not against adobe, but LW and Adobe are very different beasts, and the changes imposed by Adobe, would probably lessen the LW experience.

silviotoledo
09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't think Foundry bought Luxology. It's a business partnership that will help both.

Phil
09-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't think Foundry bought Luxology. It's a business partnership that will help both.

Although Brad and Stuart report into the CEO of The Foundry, the former as 'The President of the Americas'. That indicates an acquisition rather than a partnership. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and there will always have to be a reporting structure within any reasonably sized undertaking, but I do wonder how this will function when push comes to shove for overall strategy and so on. We've seen the reverse with the LW Group and NT - the overall priorities for NT weren't fitting with those of the LW Group, resulting in the separate group being created.

I really hope some of the Luxology love for the smaller customers rubs off on The Foundry and they start to think about their pricepoints. It's something that comes up in the FXGuide podcast (assuming you can tolerate the munching from one of the participants throughout the session).

geo_n
09-25-2012, 09:36 AM
And the Foundry is owned by an investment group. 3 years forward would be interesting. Good or bad.

rcallicotte
09-25-2012, 09:38 AM
A FAQ of sorts - http://www.luxology.com/products/The_Foundry_announcement/questions_and_answers/index.aspx

samartin
09-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Myabe both parties will keep pricing points similar, but the synergy between the 2 companies could make for a really interesting product that most companies will want!!

wyattharris
09-25-2012, 10:01 AM
A company that can afford to play things like this: http://www.fxguide.com/featured/The_Foundry_Slashes_Prices_on_Sparks/ does not need to be concerned about AD.
It's not a matter of the Foundry being strong or not or needing to be concerned about AD. If the Carlyle Group decides that it would be more profitable to sell the Foundry and Luxology, then they may just do it. There's no pride or loyalty on the line for them. Business is business.

This is going to be an interesting shake up though.

calilifestyle
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM

Some interesting info.

Yeah sure about the price. right now maybe but next version just watch. damn this really sucks.

geo_n
09-25-2012, 10:15 AM
On the other hand the "merger" might turn out well. Didn't realize lux was so small. 30 people, that's why it took modo so long to develop. They are going to hire two more people and maybe more in the coming months, that could raise the price of modo. The rendernodes have been limited without being announced. Expect some more changes after 601.
I remember one of the people from Foundry answer a question why Mari was so expensive compared to other painting appz. The answer didn't seem convincing.
I hope newtek can still develop lw with the help of its other products. Stay independent.

calilifestyle
09-25-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't know this is crazy. i mean who know just time will tell.

TheDynamo
09-25-2012, 11:14 AM
On the other hand the "merger" might turn out well. Didn't realize lux was so small. 30 people, that's why it took modo so long to develop.

How many people does Newtek have going on working only on Lightwave just out of curiosity? I would be surprised if it was more than that.

-Rob

Nicolas Jordan
09-25-2012, 11:18 AM
I think the Lightwave dev team is at least 12 strong if not maybe a few more than that. The modo dev team probably isn't much bigger. I'm sure close to half of the 30 Luxology employees are other office and sales staff and probably not directly involved with development of modo.

wyattharris
09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I have this sneaky suspicion 601 will be the last version of Modo I could afford. Mari got real expensive real fast.

Nicolas Jordan
09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
If I had to guess I would say the modo price will likely be raised with each new release until they reach the goal price they are after. We may see modo raise it's price for 701 by at least $100 to $400.

calilifestyle
09-25-2012, 11:37 AM
I have this sneaky suspicion 601 will be the last version of Modo I could afford. Mari got real expensive real fast.
yup

GregMalick
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM

I think initial buy in will go up in software - but upgrades will move much slower.
Luxology and NewTek have great respect for the loyalty of their customers.
I'm not sweating it.

evolross
09-25-2012, 11:59 AM
With the way The Foundry has been introducing new products so rapidly, this definitely feels like them "buying" Luxology (not some PC "joint-entity" marketing spin), so they can roll out a 3D modeling application/capability. With Nuke for compositing, Mari for painting, Katana for lighting/look-dev, and Hiero for shot management... modo is the missing piece of the puzzle. Nuke's 3D system is so good I wondered if The Foundry would write their own modeler because you can do A LOT in Nuke's 3D system. You can even model geometry crudely now in Nuke 7.0. It felt like a logical piece that was missing. The good news is The Foundry puts out a great product, albeit expensive.

Lightwave actually currently works pretty well with Nuke via FBX export. I used Lightwave and Nuke extensively on multiple shots for several major features.

I'm sure whatever The Foundry does with modo and Luxology... it will be really cool and very integrated.

VonBon
09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
:deal: seems like an act of desperation :devil:

evolross
09-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't see any desperation... this is The Foundry continuing to swell up. Let's hope they don't turn into another Autodesk. BTW, does this leave Lightwave as the only independent 3D app? Or is Cinema 4D its own company? What about Vue?

Cageman
09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Not that I mind using their products or paying for them... still, competition is good. Hope this keeps NT awake. Not the right time to doze off... :D

Agreed. And I do have a feeling that NT has a momentum going with LW11.5 and all what they are excited about bringing in future releases. Regarding your comment on LW-users being the cheapest (except Blender) is very true indeed, for good and bad... On the good side we find many users and developers who release free tools/rigs/presets/models/tutorials, which makes it a very giving community to be in, the bad thing is that it sometimes can make tools that cost money too expensive, because we got almost the same functionality for free.

I personaly try to support developer with money... even those that does it for free, because, simply put; money will make people stay.

Oh well... it is going to be interresting to hear what will happen about this. There's been tons of speculation about it at work... I just hope that The Foundry isn't going to become the next AD. That would be really bad... (there is very little that points to such a thing though).

:)

Cageman
09-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Looks like all I had been hoping for, with an advanced LW/Nuke Pipeline is all but dead now. :P

;)

On a serious note though, any work related to LW3DG and Nuke, would not change. The Foundry is very keen on "play well with others", so, nothing to fear regarding this.

rcallicotte
09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Lol

not the right time to doze off... :d

- - - Updated - - -

According to the merger FAQ, it won't.

3dWannabe
09-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm hoping for a NewTek/Eyeon merger, as Fusion + Lightwave (I'd love to have ray traced renders in Fusion) would be very hard to beat.

tyrot
09-25-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm hoping for a NewTek/Eyeon merger, as Fusion + Lightwave (I'd love to have ray traced renders in Fusion) would be very hard to beat.
Hmmm that does sound awesome!...

scratch33
09-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I hope light wave continue to be indipendent.
Companies buy other companies... but not in luxology...luxology is not buyed by others, luxology merge..... :0))) please don't make me laugh...

robertoortiz
09-25-2012, 02:33 PM
This is good news for the industry. I wish the best to the Modo folks.

Snosrap
09-25-2012, 02:36 PM
I just hope that The Foundry isn't going to become the next AD. That would be really bad... (there is very little that points to such a thing though).:) Yeah - it won't happen. Autodesk is a behemoth with over 6,000 employees and over 100 products. Lux/Foundry 200 employees and maybe a dozen products and can still be a personable organization at that size, AD lost any personality it may have had years ago. No doubt Lux/Foundry could be able to compete very well with the AD DCC applications, but I don't see the corporate AD people really being concerned about this development.

50one
09-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Yip, quoting someone else from this thread Lightwave and Fusion, that would be a killer!

Celshader
09-25-2012, 04:14 PM
The Foundry makes nice, production-proven and stable apps

I'll give you two out of three. Two out of three ain't bad. :D

BTW, does this leave Lightwave as the only independent 3D app? Or is Cinema 4D its own company? What about Vue?

Cinema 4D, LightWave 3D, Houdini and Blender remain independent 3D apps.

jasonwestmas
09-25-2012, 04:26 PM

That's how I feel about all graphics software.

speismonqui
09-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Yip, quoting someone else from this thread Lightwave and Fusion, that would be a killer!

throw 3DCoat in that mix and we might have something pretty interesting. ;)

Darth Mole
09-26-2012, 01:10 AM

Not for Mac users it ain't.

CaptainMarlowe
09-26-2012, 01:20 AM
Not for mac users, you're right, but I could live with a link between lightwave and motion...
Sorry a bit off topic.

prometheus
09-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Interesting news, this will probably strengthen Luxology and Modo itself, the most interesting part in modo for me would be the coorporation work they have with Dassault and solidworks, that is an area Luxology has recognized as quite important for product visualisation and prototyping which also probably has a huge market and Lightwave will be having a hard time competing with that, this is with reference to import of solid cad files, cleaning of geometry and rendering, and external render system incorporated in solidworks itself.

That said, I have experienced modo UI (and even model manipulation) to be somewhat clunky to the point that I actually prefer layout and modeler in Lightwave, but the toolset in modo and subdivision tools and presets are very sweet, UI didn´t become
that great to work with as it looks like at first glance though....(sorry for slipping in some off topic views.)

Doesn´t Lightwave have the largest model/layout area in viewports to work with? That´s what I love about it and hope Newtek can retain that as much as possible if
and when they update the UI.

Michael

geo_n
09-26-2012, 02:11 AM

Sidefx is the next one to sellout. As good as the software is, do they have extra income besides houdini? Big vfx houses closing down and some are not even upgrading software. The apprentice version is like a messiah 45 bucks desperation attempt to get more users and be more mainstream.
I doubt C4D will bowout soon they have a huge userbase and their price is not exactly cheap. C4d, Lw, blender will remain independent for different reasons. Glad I didn't buy into 601. The price is going to see a change in the next versions to align with the Foundry's philosophy.

AbstractTech3D
09-26-2012, 02:25 AM
Indeed C4D seems to be winning the game - even over AD, in my circles.

Netvudu
09-26-2012, 05:14 AM
Sidefx is the next one to sellout. As good as the software is, do they have extra income besides houdini? Big vfx houses closing down and some are not even upgrading software. The apprentice version is like a messiah 45 bucks desperation attempt to get more users and be more mainstream.

Sure. With several big production houses moving their whole FX department to Houdini, included but not limited to Dreamworks, and SideFX actively hiring people to support their growth it´s pretty clear they are going to disappear pretty soon...*facepalm*

Do you think Autodesk is desperately buying stuff to add to Maya because they enjoy spending money? They´re just trying to regain the lost ground in FX departments.

50one
09-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Sure. With several big production houses moving their whole FX department to Houdini, included but not limited to Dreamworks, and SideFX actively hiring people to support their growth it´s pretty clear they are going to disappear pretty soon...*facepalm*

Do you think Autodesk is desperately buying stuff to add to Maya because they enjoy spending money? They´re just trying to regain the lost ground in FX departments.

I can see a lot of comments about desperation, but I can imagine SideFx is just trying to make their software more accessible to anyone willing to learn.

On a sidenote, I took a plunge and decided to learn something about Houdini, even though I've seen the app on numerous occasions and was always impressed by it's capabilities. So, decided it will be good to join the webinars, they're running at the moment - yesterday was the first one...and my brain farted after 30 minutes...:D To much command line fun, but the great thing is that it can work under Linux, now if only few other companies would do Linx versions of their soft[Adobe, Luxology, Newtek] that would be brilliant.

Anyway Houdini is here to stay, I can rather imagine Autodesk going out of business than the Houdini guys...

Anywya, the only thing that concerns me about Lux/Foundry merging is their pricing/plugin policy, I can imagine there will be some 'kits' available to us in the future - for instance AE export/import - but I suppose this is gonna be paid addition to the software - just like the CAD importers are...and the RECOIL was in the past[which is still unfinished tbh - slow and crashy...]

geo_n
09-26-2012, 05:49 AM

Yeah we know you love houdini to death but be objective. *facepalm*
Several VFX houses, I hope they're not any of the recent defunct houses. ANY of these big vfx houses(using houdini,etc) are not bankcrupt proof. So are software companies. Who's going to buy houdini licenses when these big vfx companies go poof?
Software that has been passed around or killed due to mergers, acquisitions, etc. Maya, Softimage, Truespace, bunch of programs acquired by AD, adobe, corel, metacreation.
Who would have thought lux would make this move to get absorbed? Granted its the opposite of the pmg messiah mega super sale approach. No company on earth is as secure, not even AD.

jwiede
09-26-2012, 06:10 AM
I'm not sure I see how The Foundry's merge with Luxology somehow turns Modo into a non-"independent" 3D app? Independent in what sense? Typically the way the term's been used of late, it usually seems to mean "not an AD product", and by that standard, I see no evidence Modo's any less "independent" than it was before.

Nicolas Jordan
09-26-2012, 07:03 AM
I'm not sure I see how The Foundry's merge with Luxology somehow turns Modo into a non-"independent" 3D app? Independent in what sense? Typically the way the term's been used of late, it usually seems to mean "not an AD product", and by that standard, I see no evidence Modo's any less "independent" than it was before.

I agree. I think modo is still very much independent or at least as independent as Lightwave is but now just part of a larger more diverse company. The new company is still being run by Brad Peebler here in North America.

cagey5
09-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Independent as in Luxology is now owned by the Foundry who are in turn owned by the Carlyle group. Either of whom could decide to sell on or merge the technology with other products, or double the price or.. or.. In other words they are not independent of others influence.

Newtek have no shareholders and so far as I am aware no group structure that they have to answer to. I don't see any connection or interpretation that would involve Autodesk.

metahumanity
09-26-2012, 08:53 AM
In my experience Modo has become very stable over the last versions.

EDIT: I see the threads have been merged. I´m referring to someone saying that Modo crashes constantly.

zarti
09-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah we know you love houdini to death but be objective. *facepalm*
Several VFX houses, I hope they're not any of the recent defunct houses. ANY of these big vfx houses(using houdini,etc) are not bankcrupt proof. So are software companies. Who's going to buy houdini licenses when these big vfx companies go poof?
Software that has been passed around or killed due to mergers, acquisitions, etc. Maya, Softimage, Truespace, bunch of programs acquired by AD, adobe, corel, metacreation.
Who would have thought lux would make this move to get absorbed? Granted its the opposite of the pmg messiah mega super sale approach. No company on earth is as secure, not even AD.

if someone replaces the word "houdini" with any "software-X" , still your post wd make sense .

also you are not giving any 'serious evidence' or fact to support your idea .

so .. to me it looks more like you have something against the poster other than the argument itself .

also if you look carefully , ( and as 50one mentioned ) from some time Houdini-makers are trying to demystify it to 'conventional 3D artists' .

a lot of interests is being expressed by users of other 'non-future-safe-apps' to invest in Houdini .

at least looks like for some people there might be a more secure home and a longer relationship to consume .

i do not think the next one is going to be Houdini's turn . =)

--

now two half sentences about Houdini ;

- Houdini is a problem solver .. ( many apps fail continuously / consume too much energy and time for a lot of tasks )

- Houdini 's 'philosophy' has survived for more than 25 years .. ( can you give me a similar example ? )

.cheers

jwiede
09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Newtek have no shareholders and so far as I am aware no group structure that they have to answer to. I don't see any connection or interpretation that would involve Autodesk.
Newtek is a corporation (Newtek, _Inc._), and as such has all the things corporations are legally required to have, shareholders, board of directors, the works. The shares are not publicly-traded (for now, anyway), but as all corporations, it answers to its board and shareholders.

cagey5
09-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Fine. If you think that makes Luxology as independent as Newtek, then great. Carry on.

Celshader
09-26-2012, 11:32 AM

I thought the artist was asking for a list of non-Autodesk apps that could replace Maya, Max or XSI in a VFX studio's pipeline. I do not trust modo to form the backbone of a studio's 3D pipeline at this time.

I classify modo as a 3D specialty app alongside pmG:messiah, ZBrush and 3DCoat.

Celshader
09-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Who's going to buy houdini licenses when these big vfx companies go poof?

Video game companies. At SIGGRAPH 2012 an Electronic Arts artist demonstrated an elegant game design solution that relied on Houdini procedural methods to generate 30 times as many levels in a fraction of the time as previous solutions. It was a remarkable presentation.

rcallicotte
09-26-2012, 11:36 AM
This is how I understand this, especially after reading the latest FAQ about the merger.

I agree. I think modo is still very much independent or at least as independent as Lightwave is but now just part of a larger more diverse company. The new company is still being run by Brad Peebler here in North America.

zarti
09-26-2012, 12:15 PM
i do not think the next one is going to be Houdini's turn . =)

- Houdini is a problem solver .. ( many apps fail continuously / consume too much energy and time for a lot of tasks )

--

here is an example . ( maybe this is what Celshader is mentioning too .. )

anyway ,

now what wd an studio owner , .. ( or why not an artist ) think EVEN in time of crisis when is looking at this video ? =)

--

http://youtube.com/v/PDrALvAqsaI?version=3

--

.cheers

ps: sh!t , forgot how to embed a video =P .

Celshader
09-26-2012, 12:27 PM
--

here is an example . ( maybe this is what Celshader is mentioning too .. )

anyway ,

now what wd an studio owner , .. ( or why not an artist ) think EVEN in time of crisis when is looking at this video ? =)

--

http://youtube.com/v/PDrALvAqsaI?version=3

--

.cheers

ps: sh!t , forgot how to embed a video =P .

Oh, wow -- I missed that presentation.

The presentation I saw involved Electronic Art's SSX. It was amazing:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2211&Itemid=68

VonBon
09-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Cinema 4D got a free student version out now. :cool:

I still think LightWave will be the last Package to
walk out the Thunder Dome. :2guns:

jeric_synergy
09-26-2012, 06:18 PM
I dunno: I've been messing around with a going-to-timeout version of C4D, and for a beginner it's a LOT more logical than Lightwave. And where it's obscure, you do have a hope of finding something out, because it's very integrated and logical.

Wish I were a student: I'd grab that freebie in a New York second.

Nicolas Jordan
09-26-2012, 07:17 PM

I remember the Carlyle group. Some light was shed on them in the Fahrenheit 9/11 documentary in the clip seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sufM4Km4cc Is this worse or better than Autodesk buying them? :D It also appears the Carlyle group has majority shares in The Foundry giving it ultimate control over The Foundry and now modo.

geo_n
09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Video game companies. At SIGGRAPH 2012 an Electronic Arts artist demonstrated an elegant game design solution that relied on Houdini procedural methods to generate 30 times as many levels in a fraction of the time as previous solutions. It was a remarkable presentation.

That's cool! But did you know similar game companies like bandai and other japanese game companies are looking to downsize their production? That includes software.
In any case the thought of houdini might be next to sellout is ruffling some houdini fans..... :D
Back to modo, there's already some talk the modo developers got paid a big sum of money and getting a steady paycheck which is not sitting well with some modo users. Essentially modo is now owned by stock holders from the Carlyle group.

-Their NASDAQ stock ticker symbol is coincidentally "CG".

-They became a publicly traded company only a few months ago, in May of this year.

-Carlyle invests in a variety of industries, has assets of around $150 billion and was ranked as the third largest private equity firm in the world.

-They own Baskin-Robbins, Dunkin' Donuts and Synagro, a company which recycles human sewage as fertilizer for food crops.

-Both George H. W. Bush and former Secretary of State James A. Baker III have served as advisers and the firm has been chaired by Frank C. Carlucci, former United States Secretary of Defense and John Major, former British Prime Minister.

-They are one of the world's largest investors in defense industries.

-In the past the family of Osama bin Laden had financial ties with the group.

-Asked about their reasons for the acquisition of The Foundry they said the investment would "facilitate the company’s diversification into other adjacent market arenas as the product range continues to evolve and grow." (whatever that means)

Upgrade path is not looking good. Mari doubled its price in a short time. The other Foundry products are not really catering to modo users price bracket. Already people are thinking modular like C4D so people can afford to use modo.
People jumping for joy that mari could be integrated to modo should think twice about why would Foundry kill its other product and sell it as cheap as modo. Modo 701 will be on target featurewise and price to what Lux planned but after that...

Celshader
09-26-2012, 09:22 PM
In any case the thought of houdini might be next to sellout is ruffling some houdini fans..... :D

I haven't heard that Houdini's being sold to anybody. Is SideFX in trouble?

geo_n
09-26-2012, 09:43 PM
I haven't heard that Houdini's being sold to anybody. Is SideFX in trouble?

Not remotely. The thought only occured because a very successfuly software company like Lux would sellout leaving only a few independent 3d companies that you mentioned. Which one is the next logical company to sell out. That was it nothing more.
Unlikely its c4d with its huge userbase and good pricing. Lightwave has newteks other products to rely on and support its development. Blender is and will remain opensource.

MicroMouse
09-26-2012, 11:39 PM
MAXON Computer is not an independent company because it is owned by Nemetschek which is a publically traded company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemetschek

Wayne

Celshader
09-27-2012, 12:34 AM
The thought only occured because a very successfuly software company like Lux would sellout leaving only a few independent 3d companies that you mentioned.

I don't consider Luxology a "very successfuly (sic) software company."

I would reserve that description for Pixologic.

Nemoid
09-27-2012, 01:51 AM
So far, Modo is a good app but at the same league of Lightwave, and behind Cinema 4D. Difference with Lw is that its one single environment while Lw is still separated.

To become backbone of a big studio Modo would have to change alot. Workflows could be faster, and painting sculpting areas are still behind optimal developing. Rigging/animation will be updated in 701.

So in bg studios i don't see this happening anytime soon. In vfx they are mostly Maya based because the app is old but deeply programmable and open, and Modo is not like that yet.

Could be good as a base for small to mid studios if it becomes more efficient in dealing with large scenes and referencing.
But i am positive about the Foundry Luxology merge. An app needs resources and knowledge to grow, and The Foundry seems able to provide them.
The merge i think was suggested directly by John Knoll, maybe because some ILM department want to make Modo grow as a tool, and have a wider use for it. (Doesn't mean they will change their entire pipeline, to Modo, to me)

I thought the artist was asking for a list of non-Autodesk apps that could replace Maya, Max or XSI in a VFX studio's pipeline. I do not trust modo to form the backbone of a studio's 3D pipeline at this time.

geo_n
09-27-2012, 06:47 AM
The business model of a company does affect its users. There's a guy in your country who said he was thinking of switching to modo because as a softimage user he is not able to keep up with the subscription policy of AD which comes from the way AD does its business. That's one german artist affected by the business model. There are artists out there who buy their own software and not just use company software.
I was thinking of getting into modo around 801 when the animation is solid enough. Scratch that idea. I'll have to see now what lw 12 has to offer but I'm happy with lw 11 so far. No slight hint of unification for lw 12 then c4d is looking interesting again.
Modo users have something to worry about since Luxology is no more. Foundry don't cater to low profile companies. The lux founder is now President of the Americas for Foundry, not Lux, on his own profile. Is that a consolation prize? A silly moniker. There are some long time modo users who are skeptical of this merger and modo's future policy, pricing, etc.

erikals
09-27-2012, 07:17 AM
so, Luxology gets more programers and develop more animation tools?
...and start to compete on that area with Lightwave and C4D?

lardbros
09-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Heya Jen,

I went to that presentation too, it was incredible. Kind of removes much of the artistic intervention early on, but clearly allows them to generate basic terrain and tracks VERY quickly indeed... especially when a 100's of tracks are being created as opposed to 10's in the previous game. Clearly demonstrates how the complex nature of procedurally generating effects for movies is being brought over, by specialists, to the gaming world. Seems obvious really, but this has been in the offing for some time...

Content creation software like Houdini has been ahead of the curve for a while, and only now is it being used in games, where 3dsmax used to be the only contender.

Love this stuff... it's well beyond my coding abilities, but it's great to see the results, and how they went about developing the tools.

Celshader
09-27-2012, 09:13 AM
So far, Modo is a good app but at the same league of Lightwave, and behind Cinema 4D.

I'm not sure about that. I recently overheard a modo enthusiast say:

"...it's ALMOST a LightWave competitor..."

The artist uses LightWave and Maya for 99% of his studio work here in Los Angeles.

PS -- why do people refuse to use Luxology's lower-case "m" (http://www.luxology.com/modo/) spelling for modo? The software has been out there for ten years, yet artists still insist on capitalizing modo's name. Even modo users won't use Luxology's lower-case "m."

jeric_synergy
09-27-2012, 12:30 PM
PS -- why do people refuse to use Luxology's lower-case "m" (http://www.luxology.com/modo/) spelling for modo? The software has been out there for ten years, yet artists still insist on capitalizing modo's name. Even modo users won't use Luxology's lower-case "m."
Cuz it's precious and asinine?*

I have dear friends here w/a successful theater company and I grit my teeth every time I have to type "theater simple". FEH. G*dd*mn e.e. cummings to hell!

*And twee too.

AbstractTech3D
09-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I speculate that SideFX must be ready for TO. Very specialised struggling market, plus recent price drop…

That and the lay-offs at AD… mean there is talent and tech available for aggressive 3D tech companies still in the game.

probiner
09-27-2012, 05:04 PM

Same reason Lightwave users don't use the capital "W" in "Wave" like it is and you just did.

Cheers

jasonwestmas
09-27-2012, 06:32 PM

I classify all 3D packages as being a specialty app. =)

fablefox
09-28-2012, 12:16 AM
The lux founder is now President of the Americas for Foundry, not Lux, on his own profile. Is that a consolation prize? A silly moniker.

Considering that they are doubling modo development (specially its core, Nexus?), and for the fact that Foundry mostly is not based in America, that mean he will have around more people under him, and responsible to more software sales and marketing (lux product and foundry product) usually means an increase in his earning. So no, its not a consolation prize.

Only if your company was purchased/merged and you get replaced and moved to non-crucial post or backwater post that doesnt mingle with day to day operation (blue sky research), then yes, that would be consolation prize.

----------------------------------------------------
Help support my student short http://igg.me/p/239044

fablefox
09-28-2012, 12:21 AM
I classify all 3D packages as being a specialty app. =)

I think an app is a specialty when it doesn't do full range of animation work (no matter how simple). modo doesn't even have sound functionality without using plug-in... and particles...

So modo is not a full pipeline too yet, although it is good in modelling...

Dexter2999
09-28-2012, 12:45 AM

Because it is a name and English speakers know that names are capitalized. Don't let marketing dweebs put askew the rules of the language. You're better than that.

cyroz
09-28-2012, 03:25 AM
As a user of both modo and LightWave daily, depending of my needs, I think modo is a real good app,and I like where it goes... It hasn't completely replaced my use of LightWave, but it seems to go the right way imho.
Anyway there's room for both in my workflow and I think modo is close to become a good competitor for lightwave release after release, wich is a good thing for both programs.

metahumanity
09-28-2012, 04:30 AM
I think an app is a specialty when it doesn't do full range of animation work (no matter how simple). modo doesn't even have sound functionality without using plug-in... and particles...

True, but being a unified environment gives it the edge over LW right from the get go. Doesn´t matter if some tools are still missing, the base is solid.

Iaian7
09-28-2012, 06:38 AM
True, but being a unified environment gives it the edge over LW right from the get go. Doesn´t matter if some tools are still missing, the base is solid.

Though if an application doesn't leverage that unified environment, I'd argue it's not really that much better (though many specific cases such as front projection modeling certainly require it!). For a quick example (and having no idea how Modo would handle the situation), if I need to displace a flat plane of polygons, subdivide it, displace it again, texture it, and maybe subdivide and displace again with that texture...it's impossible in Lightwave (sure, you could freeze the mesh and start again from there, or use the nodal and layered displacements as two separate passes, but it's hardly a flexible system). However, just unifying the application wouldn't make Houdini-esque procedural modeling tasks any more possible. The base needs to be elastic, robust, and completely modular to support more advanced workflows - not just unified.

I guess I'm saying unifying Lightwave isn't really the solution to fixing a 20 year old destructive modelling system (vs. nondestructive edits, I'm not saying Lightwave destroys my life...well...sometimes... :D ). Yes, a unified app is advantageous, but it seems too easy to look at a competitor and say "see, they're doing it right," when it could just be a single window into the same crippled workflow.

Modo's unified base may very well be solid, but I'd warn against thinking unification will actually fix things for Lightwave. It's an indicator of progress, perhaps, and a required step for sure, but not the actual progress itself.

hrgiger
09-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Yeah, unification is only good if it's done in a way that considers what advantages its really bringing over the old approach. Modeling tools in Layout doesn't really mean a whole lot if all it ended up being was a way to match objects to a camera view (which so far is the only indication that we've received from NT as a reason to bring modeling to Layout).
I'm still not convinced about Modo's base as being as solid as it could be. Modeling operations are not animatable so I just wonder how unified it really is.

Nemoid
09-28-2012, 10:36 AM
This makes a whole lot of sense. What would be needed is a change in structure to make it flexible, open and easy too program. Also, a real boost into handling heavy scenes and objects with huge polycount.

Though if an application doesn't leverage that unified environment, I'd argue it's not really that much better (though many specific cases such as front projection modeling certainly require it!). For a quick example (and having no idea how Modo would handle the situation), if I need to displace a flat plane of polygons, subdivide it, displace it again, texture it, and maybe subdivide and displace again with that texture...it's impossible in Lightwave (sure, you could freeze the mesh and start again from there, or use the nodal and layered displacements as two separate passes, but it's hardly a flexible system). However, just unifying the application wouldn't make Houdini-esque procedural modeling tasks any more possible. The base needs to be elastic, robust, and completely modular to support more advanced workflows - not just unified.

I guess I'm saying unifying Lightwave isn't really the solution to fixing a 20 year old destructive modelling system (vs. nondestructive edits, I'm not saying Lightwave destroys my life...well...sometimes... :D ). Yes, a unified app is advantageous, but it seems too easy to look at a competitor and say "see, they're doing it right," when it could just be a single window into the same crippled workflow.

Modo's unified base may very well be solid, but I'd warn against thinking unification will actually fix things for Lightwave. It's an indicator of progress, perhaps, and a required step for sure, but not the actual progress itself.

About modo (with lower case), time will tell if they took the right choices. I presume modo's structure is not as flexible as Houdini is, nor Maya: i think its more like an unified version of Lightwave. But we can also say that there's no app like Houdini either. Its totally parametric and leader of lots effects within industry.

jasonwestmas
09-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I think some of your are missing the point. No app. is a pro at everything. Thus is also a pro at something = Specialty. Not to mention that Lightwave doesn't do everything either, nor does maya or modo etc.

tburbage
09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Pixologic is the company I keep watching, and wondering what their thoughts are on either expansion by acquisition, or joining forces with strategic partners. They are independently owned, as NewTek and Pilgway/3D-Coat are, so they can simply stay independent if that's how they want it. If Pix joined forces with the Foundry, and modo really aggressively expanded its animation capabilities, and, did whatever work was needed in their plumbing to fit better into a production pipeline in the way Maya does, the Foundry would have a product suite to rival AD.

When NT recently created the LW 3D Group, I assumed there had to be more to it than making it easier for Rob to work out of LA, so it would be interesting to be a fly on his office wall to hear the strategic thinking discussions, and the take on this merger.

Also, someone speculated on Adobe acquisitions of 3D technology. So far as I can tell, Adobe has never shown much interest in direct participation in that market, which is an indication to me that the $$$ involved are really not that big from their perspective. And also perhaps that they don't see a strategic advantage in having their own 3D app in the suite. If they did, I think they would more likely be talking to Maxon/C4D due to that app's apparently significant adoption with Adobe's traditional "creative design" customer base.

jasonwestmas
09-28-2012, 11:20 AM

You would think but the fact of the matter is that your needs are based on a script or storyboard or blueprint. And these types of design are what determine if your app. is a fully fledge tool for your project or not. . .that is if the aim is to learn only one package and stick to it, which is like shooting yourself in the foot imo.

I've had several projects where I saw a better set of tools elsewhere and chose to learn them. . . and sometimes those better tools are within LW and sometimes they aren't.

calilifestyle
09-28-2012, 11:25 AM
So i guess after awhile the Site Luxology will be gone. everything will be piped to The Foundry.

jasonwestmas
09-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Nah, they'll just merge the two sites together some how. It's not a buyout, it's a partnership. But yeah I think the Luxology name is gone.

calilifestyle
09-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I really never liked the The Foundrys' website.

Iaian7
09-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Argh. Double post. Sorry!

Iaian7
09-28-2012, 07:51 PM
I really never liked the The Foundrys' website.

I really never liked The Foundry's licensing. Last I checked, they required separate app(s) for generating and managing machine ID (full, invasive installation), which was then sent back to the company before any actual software could even be downloaded, at which point they were permanently locked to the hardware imprint and...it was exhausting, awful, and completely inflexible. I went through all of that just for a demo of their camera tracking! A single sub-$300 plugin for After Effects. They make Adobe look generous and friendly by comparison (and I've had a fair number of nightmares with Adobe licensing!).

Albeit not a modo user myself, the possible change in licensing regime would scare me far more than the possibility of price hikes in the near/mid future.

scratch33
09-29-2012, 02:33 PM
http://gfxspeak.com/2012/09/25/the-foundry-acquires-luxology/
In luxology they are masters in marketing and in not saying some evidence.

50one
09-30-2012, 03:32 AM
http://gfxspeak.com/2012/09/25/the-foundry-acquires-luxology/
In luxology they are masters in marketing and in not saying some evidence.

Yes, even though i'm the daily modo user that made me chuckle a little bit, remember some time ago when Brad said something about not selling modo to any company, it was when XSI was bought by Autodesk... I think they said something about avoid the word acquisition in favour of merger, well whatever works for them. I just hope the outcome will be good for both companies and of course Us, the customers, time will tell.

jasonwestmas
09-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Ooh I see, so it's more like Raven Software here in wisconsin where the company keeps their name and website intact even though they are a part of Activision. Not that this is exactly the same but as far as names and websites go. . .

AbstractTech3D
09-30-2012, 05:52 PM
If Pix joined forces with the Foundry, and modo really aggressively expanded its animation capabilities, and, did whatever work was needed in their plumbing to fit better into a production pipeline in the way Maya does, the Foundry would have a product suite to rival AD.
design" customer base.

XSi ICE + MB would seem to me to be unique and formidable capabilities of the AD suite that I think would remain out of reach of the Foundry. ?

calilifestyle
10-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Yes, even though i'm the daily modo user that made me chuckle a little bit, remember some time ago when Brad said something about not selling modo to any company, it was when XSI was bought by Autodesk... I think they said something about avoid the word acquisition in favour of merger, well whatever works for them. I just hope the outcome will be good for both companies and of course Us, the customers, time will tell.
Yeah i remember the modcast where Brad said they will never sell out and stay independent.

jasonwestmas
10-01-2012, 06:02 PM
well everyone says that till they have no money. But who knows what is actually happening here, words are cheap.

geo_n
10-01-2012, 06:43 PM
well everyone says that till they have no money. But who knows what is actually happening here, words are cheap.

Guess its better than what Radiance posted after he sold Octane render.
"I will not have to worry about money again after this acquisition, I can work on other projects I really want."
Something like that. Made some octane users really angry. Lol

erikals
10-02-2012, 12:30 AM
i'm just waiting for the Otoy partner AD to buy Octane, integrate it, and put the standalone on the shelf.
for never to be used by LW, C4D, Blender, Modo, Houdini artists again... :/

50one
10-02-2012, 11:00 AM
"I will not have to worry about money again after this acquisition, I can work on other projects I really want."

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard hehe.

jasonwestmas
10-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Guess its better than what Radiance posted after he sold Octane render.
Something like that. Made some octane users really angry. Lol

Hmm I guess he's into building rocket engines for chicks and long island vacations. haha . . .I mean if what he was building is NOT what he wanted to do in the first place. . . then that is the only reason I can think of for which he was building.

jwiede
10-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Hmm I guess he's into building rocket engines for chicks and long island vacations. haha . . .I mean if what he was building is NOT what he wanted to do in the first place. . . then that is the only reason I can think of for which he was building.
Or, possibly, he was just really burnt out from the extreme workload it required to get Octane to that point, and wanted a chance to focus on other, different projects for a while (perhaps with the intent to return to Octane when refreshed and motivated).

geo_n
10-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Or, possibly, he was just really burnt out from the extreme workload it required to get Octane to that point, and wanted a chance to focus on other, different projects for a while (perhaps with the intent to return to Octane when refreshed and motivated).

It is but not sure if he should have announced it in public and to customers. Do it the lux way. Make it sound like a merger.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=7268585&postcount=17

I remember seeing also the Lux developer looking super stressed out in a video modcast when they failed to deliver gpu rendering in 601 and he was explaining why. People expected gpu rendering since it was the time many gpu renderers were coming out. Probably he's stressed developing modo all these years and would like to sitback and get a steady paycheck without worrying about software sales and development. A reason to sell lux but a better way to handle it than what happened in octane.

zarti
10-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Lets Not Speculate !

Haaa .

probiner
10-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Zing! :D

Anyway, Luxology's tech is set to do good, we just have to wait to see for what and for whom.

Cheers

geo_n
10-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I am sure the LW developers feel like on vacation working on that easy to manage code and fulfilling our requests must feel like chilling out too...

He who's shocked what people read into things. *sigh* The Lux developer "looking super stressed out"... yeah, right. :foreheads I remember a AD booth babe walking in a very suspicious way to the restrooms during FMX, like something was troubling her. Could've been the food, but I think she was worried, because AD is in trouble - hear me people: AD is going down!

yeah he was. the video shows a lot just like forum posts, you should learn how to read people instead of just using computers and posting sarcastic toned post like a teenager with angst all over newtek forums. could come in handy when talking with "babes" too so you wouldnt be just looking from a far. :D