PDA

View Full Version : Visual Programming

dulo
09-24-2012, 06:03 AM
http://code.google.com/p/blockly/

Newtek could integrate this into lw as a kind of Visual python editor.
Something between Nodes and Vi-Editor ..
a little bit like houdini VOPs
would be something innovative, maybe even groundbreaking in context of 3d applications ..

BigHache
09-25-2012, 06:13 PM
This is an interesting idea. I don't think it would be small task to implement however.

dulo
09-25-2012, 06:31 PM
well blocky already generates python code. much of the userinterface is already implemented in html5 ( nt could use the qt4 html control to render .. ) .
The task should be much easier than doing everything by yourself and reinventing the wheel for the 1000th time ..
I think about implementing a little image processing application for a medical research center at the moment with blocky .. and I would estimate that I alone could get something up and running in about 6 months .. think about what a whole team could manage in a year ..

Tobian
09-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Interesting idea indeed! :)

jeric_synergy
09-25-2012, 09:35 PM
y .. and I would estimate that I alone could get something up and running in about 6 months .. think about what a whole team could manage in a year ..
Remember that the whole LW team is quite small. I'd wager {mumble mumble} that there's maybe 3 guys working on the Python implementation. And they've already got their hands full.

dulo
09-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Remember that the whole LW team is quite small. I'd wager {mumble mumble} that there's maybe 3 guys working on the Python implementation. And they've already got their hands full.
Well consider that I work really slow compared to the pros at NT ;-) and if you code with 4 eye principle you are really productive, they could manage the integration in 6 Months ...
Hope dies last ..

probiner
09-26-2012, 05:04 AM
ahh great!
Looks like a streamlined node system, no? Maybe it could come into LW as that. Not so tidy, but implementation might be easier and as nodes handling gets better this would get better too (compounds etc). Now something maybe harder to replicate and we saw in the latest Unreal Engine demo something similar in nodes, is that highlighting of what's active.

Cheers

dulo
09-26-2012, 05:27 AM
I would also see it as a replacement for lscript and expressions. I would much prefer this kind of visual programming over doctor motion, doctor xy etc ..

probiner
10-16-2012, 04:02 AM
Something similar, more directly applied to graphics and easier to start I guess. It's a language and not an interface to some other language as I understand.
I guess this is easily something a 16 year old could play around with while grasping with programming concepts:
http://scratch.mit.edu/
I downloaded it hand had a bit of fun.