PDA

View Full Version : Janus Render Pass Management - deserving of better exposure?

inkpen3d
09-24-2012, 03:24 AM
I came across mention of the Janus Render Pass Management system the other day in this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130685-Does-Lightwave-have-a-next-gen-renderer-or-is-it-a-bit-outdated/page2). It piqued my interest and so I had a look at the Janus video tutorials on Lernie Ang's web site (http://faulknermano.com/janus/index.html). It looks as though Janus could be a really useful addition to my production pipeline - especially since it's available for just $99!

However, other than a brief mention in a couple of other threads, I can find no major discussions about Janus, which is a shame since it looks like Lernie has put an huge amount of effort into the development of the Janus system, the production of many video tutorials, and a very comprehensive set of documentation!

It looks like Lernie Ang's talents lie in coding and not in marketing his product and, as a result, Janus is suffering from a lack of exposure to the LW community. It would be a tragic loss to us all if a potentially useful system languished in obscurity and finally disappeared altogether.

Has anyone purchased/used Janus? If so, then your opinion of the product would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

3dWannabe
09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I own it, it's great.

Learnie keeps updating it on a regular basis. Combined with LightWolf's exrTrader http://www.db-w.com/products/exrtrader/about , it gives you all the power you need.

check this link out for even more tutorials.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?93407-Video-Tutorial-Janus-exrTrader-Fusion-Workflow-Introduction

inkpen3d
09-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I own it, it's great.

Learnie keeps updating it on a regular basis. Combined with LightWolf's exrTrader http://www.db-w.com/products/exrtrader/about , it gives you all the power you need.

check this link out for even more tutorials.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?93407-Video-Tutorial-Janus-exrTrader-Fusion-Workflow-Introduction

Many thanks for your post and the link, much appreciated!

The search function for the NT forums looks like it's knackered - it didn't throw up that thread you've pointed me to - I wonder how many other Janus related threads there are languishing in there?

All the best,
Peter

Cageman
09-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Many thanks for your post and the link, much appreciated!

The search function for the NT forums looks like it's knackered - it didn't throw up that thread you've pointed me to - I wonder how many other Janus related threads there are languishing in there?

All the best,
Peter

The videotutorials I've made on the subject and hosted on my FTP.

GI Solutions for Characters (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_GI_solutions_for_Characters/)
Janus, exrTrader and Fusion workflow (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_Janus_exrTrader_Fusion_Workflow_Introducti on/)
Janus, exrTrader and Fusion - ZBuffer (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_Janus_exrTrader_and_Fusion_Introduction_Z-Buffer/)
Janus LightPases (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_Janus_LightPasses/)
Janus Quick and Dirty (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_Janus_Quick_and_Dirty/)

Have fun!

:)

inkpen3d
09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
The videotutorials I've made on the subject and hosted on my FTP.

GI Solutions for Characters (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_GI_solutions_for_Characters/)
Janus, exrTrader and Fusion workflow (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_Janus_exrTrader_Fusion_Workflow_Introducti on/)
Janus, exrTrader and Fusion - ZBuffer (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_Janus_exrTrader_and_Fusion_Introduction_Z-Buffer/)
Janus LightPases (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_Janus_LightPasses/)
Janus Quick and Dirty (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_Janus_Quick_and_Dirty/)

Have fun!

:)

You're a star! :)

Many thanks for posting and all the time and effort you put into producing those videos. TBH, I've already watched one already via Lernie's web site - it was excellent and very informative - I'll definitely be sitting down with my popcorn and watching the rest! ;)

Regards,
Peter

inkpen3d
09-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Inadvertently double posted...

Dexter2999
09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I think Janus is a great product especially in concert with EXRtrader. However, it seem the vocal majority of LW users don't think render pass management is something they should have to pay for (at least that is how I interpret it) as they seem to largely ignore Janus and demand a native pass management system.

Cageman
09-25-2012, 04:26 PM
I think Janus is a great product especially in concert with EXRtrader. However, it seem the vocal majority of LW users don't think render pass management is something they should have to pay for (at least that is how I interpret it) as they seem to largely ignore Janus and demand a native pass management system.

While a native pass management system is something to look forward to, I guess.... you have your day to day work, right now, to deal with as well. Just like LW lacked Instancing for quite some time, those who bought HDI were pretty happy with that... and even now, HDI offers some advantages over LWs native implementation. Same with the free DP Instancer.... Both of them have features that aren't avaliable in the native implementation (yet).

Same with Janus... it is a very well thought out system to deal with things right now. It works! I'm not too worried about LW3DG implementing pass-management systems, because I have something that does a great job at it. LW3DG can take their time to get it right, but even then, will they get everything right for v1.0 of their native passmanagement system? I don't think so. So, instead of waiting x number of LW-versions before it gets there, I know a tool called Janus that let me do things, right now! It just works!

EDIT: Just to add to this, Maya has a pretty bad native pass-management system out of the box. Same with Max. There are some to purchase to deal with it for both apps, and there are some that are free, but so far, I havn't really found anything that matches with what you get with Janus. The best systems for this are usually inhouse tools running at Weta, ILM, Sony Imageworks, Double Negative etc, etc, etc and are not part of any of the products they purchased, nor avaliable for anyone to purchase.

adk
09-25-2012, 05:41 PM
It is a fantastic product ... I just need to find projects & time to use it more than I have over the years.
Learnie does a great job with regular updates & added features ... plus the new price VS the amount of time & sanity you'll save should make it even more attractive to a lot of folks.

jwiede
09-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Well, unless something's changed recently, Janus still isn't compatible with Mac LW, so it isn't as if all LW customers have it available. That's a pretty significant drawback.

Cageman
09-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Well, unless something's changed recently, Janus still isn't compatible with Mac LW, so it isn't as if all LW customers have it available. That's a pretty significant drawback.

Yes... it is... but if you need something desperately, you should be willing to switch platforms in order to get it. Heck... you don't need to switch either... just get a low-cost PC with Windows... It can't be a healthy thing to refuse all other platforms appart from Mac.

inkpen3d
10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Many thanks to all you guys who have taken the time to make some very interesting contributions to this Janus related thread.

One question for you all...

Which do reckon is the best type of compositing application to handle output from Janus: nodal or layered?

I currently have the latest version (11) of Sony Vegas and I am seriously considering upgrading my old copy of Eyeon DFX+4 to the latest version (6.4) of Fusion for $590 (including dongle), which IMHO seems to be a bargain given that it's almost $2500 if purchased new. So any advice/thoughts on this matter would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Cageman
10-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Nodal compositing is way more effective and non-destructive!!!!

If you can get Fusion or Nuke go for that! Both are great compositing tools and both are nodebased!

adk
10-02-2012, 05:33 PM
What Cageman said, tho knowing AE has also been a bonus for me in some situations over the years.

3dWannabe
10-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Many thanks to all you guys who have taken the time to make some very interesting contributions to this Janus related thread.

One question for you all...

Which do reckon is the best type of compositing application to handle output from Janus: nodal or layered?

I currently have the latest version (11) of Sony Vegas and I am seriously considering upgrading my old copy of Eyeon DFX+4 to the latest version (6.4) of Fusion for $590 (including dongle), which IMHO seems to be a bargain given that it's almost $2500 if purchased new. So any advice/thoughts on this matter would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Peter
When you get much complexity at all, you want to be nodal, not layered.

Upgrading to Fusion 6.4 for $590 is a no brainer.

The Cageman tutorials use Fusion, so that should help get you onto the path. I've had Fusion for a few years and have been quite happy with their progress.

You can add several cheap video cards to your box, and not need a render farm with Fusion - all with a single box/license (ahhh, if I only had more slots).

inkpen3d
10-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Thanks again chaps for your advice - much appreciated! :thumbsup: