PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #190 - Elementary, my dear Watson

Netvudu
09-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #190 - "Elementary, my dear Watson"

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's .

This week's topic: "Elementary, my dear Watson". Although Sherlock Holmes never actually said those words (or at least not in Arthur Conan Doyles novels), the challenge is quite clear, I think. Crimes in a victorian society, clues, magnifying glasses, classic newspapers,...let your imagination take your LW skills back to XIXth century London.

Time limit: 60 minutes

Deadline: Friday, September 28, 2012, 23:59 G.M.T

XswampyX
09-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Just a quick mash up of Ideas. http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/MagAndPipe_Small_zps719fe48b.jpg

Hope to do another one.

flakester
09-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Another one that had to be done!

An example of the Deerstalker.
40 minutes of relaxed modeling time, about the same for the setup.

Method:
Started with a pen-drawn outline --> Lathed with a division of 12. Collapse the pole polys to avoid pinching.
Select appropriate lower edge polys --> Extrude / move / scale / rotate - rinse and repeat as required for front and side flaps.
Bend / magnet / transform / rotate to achieve desired overall shape.
Form and extrude / rotate / scale an outline for the bow loops and centre.

Grand stuff already XswampyX

cabelo
09-25-2012, 04:09 AM
this is what came out of straight from my mind as soon as I read this thread

modelling was done in a hour and scene setup, shading and render in about another hour

I love this cartoons from my childhood!!!

Kryslin
09-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Here's my attempt ( I hit the one hour mark quickly...)

Something Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson would have seen every day...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/SMC190-Surfaces.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/SMC190-Wires.jpg
Lots of LWCAD here - Realtime Booleans, Engraver.
Finding good pictures of Victorian Street signs wasn't easy...

XswampyX
09-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Peeeeeeeeep!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/PoliceWhistle3_Small_zps2437c6c6.jpg

R.Feeney
09-26-2012, 07:55 PM
I love the texturing on the police whistle swampy.

I ran out of time to add a letterbox. Still it was nearly always telegrams that he got :)

cabelo
09-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Hi there!
Just another quick entry... Didnt have time to render it but here goes the model and wires for now...
Modelling took me 50 minutes.

XswampyX
09-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks.

Here's the intricate arrangement of the chain links..... using bullet. ;D

http://youtu.be/cnasWis_Bok

v1u1ant
09-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Nice XswampyX. Like the surfacing as well, care to share?

Heres my effort this week. Holmes liked to inject. Bang on 60 minutes modelling, so there are areas i could improve with more time, but as 60 minutes is the limit i stopped at that of course.
Started with a 36 sides 1 segment disc, bevelled, then knifed on one side and extruded the joint. Copied for other ring and the ring on the plunger.
Discs for the case and glass and liquid. 'e' key and stretch and move for the rest, halving, mirroring...for some reason I keep thinking the rules state we CANT use 3d party plugins, so now i am reading it correctly that we CAN use 3rd party plugins, next time i can use LWCAD *sighs*. That should speed things up a bit:)

Took a couple of hours to set up the scene and surface. Its not quite how i wanted it really. The glass aint right ,and for some reason i was having problem with the alpha channel.

Hypervoxels for the blood on the needle, and added a sphere in Layout for the pool of blood.

Hope you like it, despite the alpha channel issue.

Netvudu
09-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Great entries everyone!

Now comes mine...what? you thought I wouldnt participate because Im deciding the winner? I wanted to make my own rendition too! Dont worry, I wont let myself win :D

And, once again, in my very own style...its laaaame modeeeels, coooool rendeeeers :D One of these days I will try to win a modelling challenge with no modelling at all, Im not that far :p

First of all, as usual, the render. I call it "Shadows in Baker Street"

Now as for the scene itself, its mostly flat planes with wispy smoke photos (and one with a Sherlock pic) and volumetric lights for more fog and blend together 3D fog with photographs smoke.

Here are the wires for the walls...well,heheh...its just walls and a street sign

Then we got a quite unfinished street lamp

A poorly detailed fence

And some chains to add mood, to the right

Im pretty sure, once again, nobody will accuse me of modelling for over an hour. :D

v1u1ant
09-28-2012, 07:36 AM
nice stuff Netvudu.

XswampyX
09-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Some wires.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/policeWhistle_Wired_zps1eb998e1.jpg

It's strange how I only used the polygoncolor plug-in and the result of the simulation is different.

Will post the scene to the free speed models when I have time, You can check out the surface there.

v1u1ant
09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Just an updated scene with the corrected alpha channel.

wyattharris
09-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I love the sim Swampy. Is it possible, once you've run a sim and you like the result, to freeze it and make that the default placement for a new scene lets say or do you have to put the playhead after the sim has run?

XswampyX
09-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I love the sim Swampy. Is it possible, once you've run a sim and you like the result, to freeze it and make that the default placement for a new scene lets say or do you have to put the playhead after the sim has run?

Yeah, I think so. You apply cloth effects to your object and then save out the MDD file. Change your scene to use this MDD file and there you go. So I suppose big item first, freeze, add smaller items, freeze. Rinse and repeat..... You could get a pretty intricate simulation without any of the drawbacks of recalculating the simulation.

Maybe. :-D

flakester
09-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Cracking stuff, everyone. :thumbsup:

Netvudu
09-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Ok. sorry for the delay guys, but I was away for the whole weekend. The winner of this one is xswampyx for his whistle with nice texturing and sim.

v1u1ant
09-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Congrats XswampyX, deserved the win fo sure.:)

flakester
09-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Nice one XswampyX - congrats!