PDA

View Full Version : Blurring backgrounds on virtual set zooms...

jmmultex
09-21-2012, 01:35 PM
It would be interesting to allow two background layers in Virtual Sets: a standard BACKGROUND and a BLURRED BACKGROUND, and to allow a % mix level between the two to be assigned based on the percentage of zoom on the set. (Effectively making the unblurred background more transparent to let the blurred background show through more at higher zoom levels.).

This could create an interesting Depth Of Field look that could soften background elements on closeups and help sell certain types of sets...

Just a thought...

-John

SBowie
09-21-2012, 02:41 PM
You could 'kinda sorta do' that now, John, by dong a cross-fade between blurred and unblurred versions of the same set while zooming. The co-ordination would pretty much mandate a control surface, mind you.

jmmultex
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I've tried doing it that way, and just found it challenging to execute on it consistently (plus I don't have a control surface of my own and need to borrow one when required... :(). I usually end up doing cuts-only between "pre-baked" blurred and unblurred set versions, and that works well in a keyboard-only setup.

I just thought it would be useful to have it baked in at some point.

Thanks!

-john