PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxels v2.1- Panel drawing bugs? +other bugs

jeric_synergy
09-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I very VERY rarely use Hypervoxels, so bear w/me:

Decided to mess about with Pixie Dust, so added an Emitter, animated it, went to add HVs.

The HV panel seemed surprisingly sparse,until I started mousing over it and UI elements started appearing, things like buttons and tabs. So there's one bug. (Yes, I'll update my drivers immediately after this.)

+ Ignoring that issue, I tried to Activate my Emitter object, and the HV panel wouldn't activate on the grounds that there were no particles. I ran a CALCULATE, same thing.

I'd be more precise, but as I was typing this msg, LW crashed.

Soooooo, what's up with HVs??

(To sum up, 3 bugs minimum: panel drawing, activation of valid object, crashing.)

nickdigital
09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Access hypervoxels in the Volumetrics>Add Volumentric pulldown. The one you're playing with is old and outdated. I think it's there just for legacy issues.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Access hypervoxels in the Volumetrics>Add Volumentric pulldown. The one you're playing with is old and outdated. I think it's there just for legacy issues.
Thank Darwin! I thought it looked dated!

It's all good: I was several versions behind on my NVidia drivers anyway.

Thanks Nick! ::hattip::

cagey5
09-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Glad you got it sorted. Funnily enough I was just playing around yesterday with an old scene made originally with HV's to see how it would look with PixieDust.

One difference is that PixieDust isn't picking up the spotlight colour as hypervoxels do. But then it's a darned sight easier to get a two colour ribbon effect.

HV Original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur53Oy6LpiY&feature=youtu.be

PixieDust version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2eENLAfM4&feature=youtu.be

UnCommonGrafx
09-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the pixie dust tip on trails!

jeric_synergy
09-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Looks nifty!
Questions:

1) Is that two diff. emitters? Seems one is one color, the 2nd another.

2) What's causing the persistence of the particle (the trail)??

:) Maybe Pixie Dust's time has come. If I had the money I'd purchase dwburman's tutorials on the subject (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/d-w-burman/danas-videos/gradients/)-- I'm sure they'd save me untold hours of confusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ZtQYaf8Y8

cagey5
09-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Looks nifty!
Questions:

1) Is that two diff. emitters? Seems one is one color, the 2nd another.

2) What's causing the persistence of the particle (the trail)??

The single emitter is emitting particles which are themselves emitters so as they travel along [Actually blown by a wind dynamic] they themselves leave a trail of HV's

:) Maybe Pixie Dust's time has come. If I had the money I'd purchase dwburman's tutorials on the subject (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/d-w-burman/danas-videos/gradients/)-- I'm sure they'd save me untold hours of confusion.

1. If you mean the HV scene. It's one emitter but it's passing through coloured spotlights and the trails also change colour as they age.

2. The single emitter is emitting particles which are themselves emitters so as they travel along [Actually blown by a wind dynamic] they themselves leave a trail of HV's

edit. btw This was my test going back some years to try and copy the exact same scenario I saw someone else post. I was just trying to figure out how it worked.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2012, 02:43 PM
2. The single emitter is emitting particles which are themselves emitters so as they travel along [Actually blown by a wind dynamic] they themselves leave a trail of HV's
Oy, guess I better figure out how THAT works. Maybe some keywords to get me started? :thumbsup:

cagey5
09-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Long time since I did it. It's something like. -

Emitter one: set to emit a fairly low level of particles.

Add another emitter [very small - I think in my example it was 0,0,0]. Parent it to emitter one and set the 'nozzle' to 'parent emitter.

Have the second one set to emit lots of particles. Playing around with their respective weights and resistence will alter how they drift. If you get stuck I'll try zipping the scene.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
"Nozzle"!!! That was the keyword I needed!

Thanks cagey. :beerchug:

cagey5
09-21-2012, 03:09 PM
No problem. Hope it works for you. I just checked my original scene and the parent emitter is set to 3 particles per second. And the second Emitter set to 3 particles per frame.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, I'm just goofing around, although it'd be nice if it led to work.

I'm baffled by dana's sparkling pixie dust, since p.d. seems to have such limited features*, but I can't buy his tutorial yet. -- That's some good commercial stuff right there.

*but obviously doesn't

cagey5
09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Got a link to the sparkle?

jeric_synergy
09-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Got a link to the sparkle?

cagey5
09-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Very nice. :)

jeric_synergy
09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm sure that training is a wise investment. Gradients still baffle me bigtime. The things people figure out to do with them!

prometheus
09-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Ive never been able to get any decent things out of pixie dust, In fact I have questioned itīs existence to be in Lightwave at all, but perhaps Im a little wrong about that when taking a look at the sparkle example.
Im always using sprites mostly or partigons.

hypervoxels latest version is quite old and given little attention too, next update better be having distance between particle gradients in all possible channels,
and a volume item which works on full geometry shapes as Modoīs volume item does.

Michael

jeric_synergy
09-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Ive never been able to get any decent things out of pixie dust, In fact I have questioned itīs existence to be in Lightwave at all, but perhaps Im a little wrong about that when taking a look at the sparkle example.

I'm terrible at figuring out the implications of features. That's why it's CRITICAL that NewTek include good example scenes.

I've heard that Pixie Dust is also good for clouds, due to its faster rendering than straight HV and even Sprites.

And Dana did a smashup job with that sparkle example, so obviously there's some potential there, but unlocking it is less than obvious. But, for $14.99, we can all find out! :D :thumbsup:

prometheus
09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm terrible at figuring out the implications of features. That's why it's CRITICAL that NewTek include good example scenes.

I've heard that Pixie Dust is also good for clouds, due to its faster rendering than straight HV and even Sprites.

And Dana did a smashup job with that sparkle example, so obviously there's some potential there, but unlocking it is less than obvious. But, for $14.99, we can all find out! :D :thumbsup:

Doubtful if it could be useful for clouds, never seen any examples of it...and canīt imagine it matching realism of hv volume or fake volume with sprites.

when I tested pixie dust, I couldnīt notice any significant speed difference against sprites really.