PDA

View Full Version : Anyone succeded running LW under Wine (linux)?

Gabriel
10-29-2003, 01:21 PM
I'm looking for anyone who has succeded running an uncracked version of (windows) LW under Wine, because I can't figure it out myself.

thx!
Gabriel

dmoc
10-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Eh... not even trying anymore. For the cost of lw8 upgrade you can... well, a'hem, check the options yourself. :D

lord
10-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Your post suggests there are issues with the dongle under Wine. Is that the case?

Cheers,

Lord

js33
10-29-2003, 06:46 PM
From what I've heard the dongle does not work under WINE so if anyone is running LW under WINE they aren't using the dongle if you know what I mean.

Cheers,
JS

lord
10-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Oh.

Bugger.

That's actually a big shame. I wonder if there's any chance of a legitamate cure?

I think we're looking for almost any (solid) opportunity to ditch Windows ourselves.

I assume this has more to do with Sentinal drivers than LightWave itself then?

Cheers,

Lord

js33
10-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by lord
I assume this has more to do with Sentinal drivers than LightWave itself then?

Yes I think that is the problem.

Cheers,
JS

lord
10-30-2003, 04:24 AM
I wonder what the chances are of Rainbow Technologies creating a fix for it would be. I guess that's something that NewTek would need to approach them about. Of course the whole thing could be resolved if NewTek released a Linux version of LightWave.
Though not at the expense of LightWaves general development.

Gabriel
10-30-2003, 08:30 AM
So it seems to be on Rainbow (Sentinel makers) field.
In fact there are a lot of very popular programs using Sentinel dongles as protection.
We should send mail to Rainbow (http://mktg.rainbow.com/mk/get/newQRF) asking them to support Wine.

What is really confusing is that in several Wine related sites there are reports saying AutoCAD or even LW is working with Wine.
But so those must be all cracked versions of them, the issue should be clearly explained then. :confused:

thanks for the answers.
Gabriel

milkman
10-30-2003, 08:35 AM
i've heard quite a few accoutns of LW working under WINE...

Phil
10-30-2003, 10:30 AM
It's a little odd really because there are drivers for Sentinel and HASP drivers for various linux kernels out there. I still struggle to understand why a WINE running program cannot be pointed at the native linux drivers....*shrug*

It's more than a little frustrating given the lack of interest from plugin developers with regard to the linux LWSN node - I've yet to see a commercial vendor deliver one of their products for use with this component of LW (flaky as it is). With this lack of interest, a full blown port of LW is unlikely IMHO and a wine-based port is also going to have trouble due to the dongle communication problems.

Alliante
10-31-2003, 07:10 AM
I'd be more interested in how well LWSN.exe and plug-ins work in WINE ;)

Linux just doesn't have the NLE and Sound editing capability that Vegas and Sound Forge give me (not to mention that the GIMP is a pale comparison to Photoshop, though it's a lot thinner).

Might have to do some testing with a spare machine if I get some time to experiment. Using Wine with LSWN.exe could make a very cheap rendernode solution. :D

Ya'll rawk.

edit/add
Plus running LWSN.exe in WINE is also legal according to the license from what I've read so far and you get the compatibility with the windows plugins since it seems developers are dragging their feet for writing the plugins for Linux. FreeBSD (my favourite UNIX-Like Server OS) might work as a Wine host too.