PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Break up tool? Csg slice

prometheus
09-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Dont recall seeing this tool before, it actually create quite precise cut outs if you want to fracture simple pieces to destroy, not sure if it is available in the fracture tab somewhere too?

You need to create two layers with geometry and works like some sort of boolean cut out with pieces created at once so you can select connect and move them or use in bullet.

Found it accidently by browsing through utilities/plugins, and it is called Csg slice.

Michael

nickdigital
09-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Nice find.

prometheus
09-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Nice find.

You can also run the explode parts command in case you want to explode to morph, but the parts is disconnected from each other by just running Csg slice.

a tip ..let´s create a box, run the python command bubbles with equal min/max radius...that will create spheres on the point edges of box, you can then scale normals by using point normal move which
will let you define the spheres closer or offset from the box to get a cookie cutter object, you can also fractalize the spheres a little to get it uneven, then copy the spheres to background layer and then run
Csg slice.

Since I can´t see this command in fracture tab or within those tools, they should be branched and placed beneath fracture in a manual fracture menu.

Michael

Matt
09-20-2012, 01:00 PM
These are part of the Fracture tool.

prometheus
09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
These are part of the Fracture tool.

Im sorry ..but I do not see that tool inside of the fracture tool, the only similar one is to use the fracture and use algorithm/halves, but that doesn´t give the exact cut out, as using it from the utilities and Csg slice.
You just mean that they are part of the whole fracture toolset, but not inside the fracture command?

Michael

Sensei
09-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Fracture tool is executing them to fulfill its work - it's basically doing what I am doing in mine video, but butter Boolean implementation..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud52wxYMygc

Do what I am showing in video, then press csgSlice instead of Boolean and you have two pieces independent!

prometheus
09-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Fracture tool is executing them to fulfill its work - it's basically doing what I am doing in mine video, but butter Boolean implementation..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud52wxYMygc

Do what I am showing in video, then press csgSlice instead of Boolean and you have two pieces independent!

No..that is a different cutting procedure and not what Ive´shown, unfortunatly I do not have camtasia studio installed on my laptop so I cant show you, the fracture tool doesnt yield the same exact cut out
from geometry in a background layer as I pointed to in my image attachement, so why confusing them to be working the same inside of the fracture tool? I understand if the fracture tool calls upon that command to fullfill its destruction, but In such case
it must be clear that it doesn´t yield the same results as if you were to run it the way I did.

I havent checked using a division grid, distorting it and running Csg slice, will test that tomorrow, bedtime now.

Hail
09-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Nice discovery Prometheus but why is this not documented?
Is it not worth documenting?

lertola2
09-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Very interesting. There are other Csg tools as well. What do you think the CsgCleanup does?

Areyos Alektor
09-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Thank you for the info :)

CSG Slice is very interesting.

As another tool hidden from Fracture ago "Explode Parts" He has no button. You must go to "Edit Menu Layout" / "Search" / "Explode" and add it to a tab.

prometheus
09-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Nice discovery Prometheus but why is this not documented?
Is it not worth documenting?

Beats me...they must have missed it, it is worth documenting better, and it should really have it´s own menu branch and buttons beneath the fracture tool really.

cagey5
09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks for that. That is sooo useful for doing accurate fractures. :thumbsup: