PDA

View Full Version : FX Monkey

avtech
10-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Hello All;
I'm looking for any help files or manual for FX Monkey.
I'm a VT(3) newbie and can't seem to find any reference to it in the help files or anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

weaponsInspecto
10-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Ahhh, FX Monkey!

Cool little item. Basically, you replace the "null" with your object (ie; logo) and render it out. There is more to it, but how about you tell us how familar you are with Lightwave and Modeler first. And it will be helpful to know if there is something in particular that you wnat to do with it.

Dave

mgrusin
11-06-2003, 02:58 AM
If you upgraded from VT2, there's some basic info on FX Monkey in the hardcopy Lightwave Express manual which came with VT2. I couldn't find anything on it in the VT3 hard or soft docs.

BUT, I'd like to see a tutorial or tips as well, because I can't get it to work: In VT3, I can run Lightwave ("7.5c"), start FX Monkey (from Scene/Generics), pick lots o' options, hit Apply Scene, and... nothing. Well, not quite nothing - it does put my logo object at 0,0,0. But it doesn't set up any lights or motion paths or other objects or backdrops in the scene (or the saved scene, if you hit that particular button).

Was there something else I needed to do, or is the version shipping with VT3 still only compiled for VT2, or what?

FX Monkey - too simple even for me! (TM).

-MG :confused:

John Alfero
11-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Are there any plans to make this work in VT3? I had used it in the past to give my students a basic idea of how 3D graphics were created. I know you can create flying logos in the full version of Lightwave, but I need to keep it simple with as few steps as possible.

avtech
11-06-2003, 09:18 AM
It would be nice to have full use of this function.
I have scanned the net for any references to FX Monkey I've even looked for the Lightworks express manual in pdf out there but nothing was to be found.
Would it be possible for someone to extract just the references to FX Monkey from the express manual and make it available here ?
It seems that I'm not the only one out here that likes the idea of the quick and basic logo animation process.

Thanks;

Chris

jackz
11-06-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm not certain but I think FX Monkey does not know where to look for it's Motion Paths etc...

SO... with in Lightwave 3D 7.5c

Layout
-Options
-Set Content Directory

Browse to the locate the FX Monkey Directory on your system.

C:\VT3\LightWave\programs\FXMonkey

That is where it is located on my system but I did some reconfiguration to get SCREAMERNET to work.

Also you may have to shut down and restart LightWave for FX Monkey to see the changed directory.

HOPE THAT HELPS...

I've had it up and working for a while and like how quickly you can setup a basic Fly In/Fly Out type effect.

JackZ.:rolleyes:

mgrusin
11-06-2003, 05:02 PM
That did it! Setting the content directory to C:\VT3\LightWave\programs\FXMonkey, and restarting LightWave (important!), did the trick. Monkey rocks. Thanks Jackz!

edit: For the original poster, once you get it working, ;) FX Monkey seems pretty self-explanatory (just make all your choices and hit apply). But information on it does seem to be missing from the VT3 docs. I can't extract the PDF pages from the VT2 docs and post them, because they're (C) Newtek. But someone from Newtek may be willing to do this and put it on their web or FTP site.

-MG