PDA

View Full Version : 5 million 800 thousand polygons.... Is this normal behavior?

stargatesg1
09-19-2012, 04:16 PM
I was converting over a "cob" file. And pulling it into LW 3d. The resulting mesh had around 5 million 800 thousand polys.
I have tried hooking up both the Quadro 4000 card and the standard Ati 5770 card. Neither one seems to be able to deal with it very well.
Lots of lagg and beachballing etc. slow interface. This is a mac pro with 24 gig ram dual Quad core xeons 2.4ghz.
Thoughts? Its been years since I have played with LW and just updated to 11.0.3 on MT. Lion 10.8.1

Should i expect this kind of behavior due to the poly count? is 5million + considered insane?

CJ Adams
:help:

jasonwestmas
09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Lightwave especially modeler can't handle that. Try Zbrush or something else to optimize. however you should be able to render that in Layout if that's all you want to do but I'm on a windows machine.

stargatesg1
09-19-2012, 04:25 PM
So your saying that poly count is way out of the park then? i exported the mesh and textures from Vue to go from cob to LW.
Imports fine but then freaks out no matter what functions i do but renders fine once i stop getting beachballs for every little mouse click.
CJ

jasonwestmas
09-19-2012, 04:35 PM
yeah for basic modeling and editing you aren't going to be able to do much in modeler. As long as you can save it to .lwo you can do anything else with it.

stargatesg1
09-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm sorry this is in LWO format now. I converted it. My question was more about the polygon count being too high not the model type.
Sorry for the confusion.

erikals
09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
LW is not the best for huge scenes or models, try to optimize it first.
(or buy a fast single core cpu, if that even exists :]

OFF
09-19-2012, 09:21 PM
you can download a demo version of Cinema4d (sorry)) and there to edit your high poly object:
http://www.maxon.net/products/demo-version/download-form.html

JonW
09-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Get a PC with a 3930k CPU, Overclock it, it's easy these days.

Also turn off Hyperthreading so you are only using the real cores. & get an SSD as well, it helps a lot in the background. Turn off Page filing as well.

Together with a 680 or something similar graphics card, Modeler won't be too bad. BUT, it's still not going to like 5 million polys, but it will be a lot better than what you are using.

An old 2.4 GHz CPU with HT on, no OC is painfully slow. (single core performance on dual CPU boxes is tragic to say the least!)

A 3930k OC to say 4.5 GHz, HT off is going to make a huge difference.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/11/14/intel-sandy-bridge-e-review/4

erikals
09-20-2012, 01:28 AM
in layout,

maybe use a Ram drive.
also consider Infinimap for large textures.

another suggestion > avoid it.
replace the high-poly mesh with a low-poly mesh for animation,
then insert it again when the animation is done and ready for the render.

erikals
09-20-2012, 01:37 AM
in modeler,

when selecting points, use the lasso tool, it's 100 times faster than when selecting individual points.
or alternatively hide parts of the object.

Lightwave test - Modeler selection speedup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW0FBuSNQnI

Hail
09-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Are you working in modeller or layout?
Layout should be able to handle that without getting too laggy but modeller ll suck balls:D
So it depends on what you are doing
If what you are doing is nothing modelling related then you are better off in layout otherwise you ll need to do some optimizations to it in ZB(as suggested already) before you can do anything with it in modeller

The other option you have is blender
It seems to handle hi poly models better than modeller does and its free :)

Tobian
09-20-2012, 09:17 AM
That's not a simple thing to answer..

Q) is it to many.. A) Nope
Q) is it too many for modeler to handle A) yes!

Here's a few ideas to help you here, if you need to work with it in modeler (and I suspect you need to do a little cleanup as Cad models are notoriously WAY too heavy!)

IF the model is multiple parts. Make multiple copies of the model - open it up and delete away the bits you don't need. Just keep one high-res 'part' per object 500k-1million should be fine to work on, so maybe have a few layers if there's smaller 'parts. You can cop and paste 'parts' of a mesh to new models, but this might cause Modeler to creak.

Then assemble all the parts in layout. If you select a bit of the mesh, and hit modeler, it will open up the desired part and allow you to edit it. As others have said Layout should handle this fine.

Once you have it broken down into smaller chunks start cleaning up the mesh and cleaning down the loops. Be aware that mesh-cleanup tools may well make hideous looking meshes. It's best to clean it up manually, using loop welding and face merging as and when. This should bring the point count down a lot (making assumptions, without seeing the mesh!)

If you can get the poly size down to sensible levels you can always assemble all of the parts back together again in one file.

My station is well over 13 million polys and the modeler files have well over 20 million polies in them, I just broke it all up into chunks so no parts of it are much over 500k - million.

With luck Modeler will get more responsive in high-poly mode, with LW12

stargatesg1
09-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Thank you all for your good advice. I wanted to mainly make sure that it wasn't my system at fault and that I was pushing things a bit instead. Seems i was.
Good to know!

Tobian
09-20-2012, 10:10 AM
No it's almost certainly (probably) not your computer. Modeler is just not good at handling high polygons. Apple's 3D viewport performance is also somewhat underwhelming too.

dsol
09-24-2012, 07:41 AM
You could also try using retopology tools in Zbursh, Modo or other apps to try and build a more optimised model. It usually makes it look better too - raw CAD conversions (from IGES) often have glitches where spline patches don't match up, creating seams.

Does LW11.5 have any retopo tools? The Heat shrink tool looks like it's hinting at one (though opening up a 6 million poly object in existing modeler is a scary prospect). As others have said, you can also make your life easier by breaking the object up into separate models as much as possible.