PDA

View Full Version : Changing shape of fractured pieces

gschrick
09-19-2012, 02:44 PM
I am working on an animation for a client and sent them a proof using fracture and bullet dynamics. They liked the first version but suggested changing the pieces to more jagged shards. I tried using the the different algorithms in the fracture setup but I don't see that much control over the shape.

Is there any other way to alter the shape of the pieces other than the fracture algorithm?

Thanks.

UnCommonGrafx
09-19-2012, 03:19 PM
I've read somewhere that one can use splines in the background for fracturing. Unsure if it is the fracture tool or some other tool.

cagey5
09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I've not tried it myself but I think I recall a scene where someone had stretched their object out on, say, the x axis before fracturig then reduced it back to the original shape, thereby giving sharper outlines.

I may be scetchy on the details but may be worth experimenting with.

Areyos Alektor
09-19-2012, 05:58 PM
What kind of object and type of action ?

The object was tripled?

Subpatch or not?

Try with : Voronoi and Background Layer Points

Sensei
09-20-2012, 12:32 PM
I've read somewhere that one can use splines in the background for fracturing. Unsure if it is the fracture tool or some other tool.

You're talking about Larry's video tutorial..

Mine is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud52wxYMygc

gschrick
09-21-2012, 08:17 AM
It's a FOX Sports logo. I tried both tripled and not (it is not subpatch). I used shapes in the background to guide the fracture, but I didn't see any dramatic difference. Is there a link to the tutorial using that method?

Thanks for the suggestion of stretching the logo first. It sort of worked. But if I stretch along the Y the pieces are only elongated along the X.

Personally, I like the way it's fractured now. It's less threatening than long jagged shards.

prometheus
09-23-2012, 09:29 AM
You can get exact cut out from a geometry cutter if you use the command csg slice, it is kind of hidden since it doesn´t show up and work within the fracture tool, even thou the fracture tool calls on that command, it will not yield the
same results as if you are acessing it through utilities/additional/CsgSlice.
check my thread about it here..
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130678-Hidden-Break-up-tool-Csg-slice

simple create you cutter object in the background layer, and go to utilities/additional and run the CsgSlice command, the pieace sliced and created will have the same geometry shape as the background
layer and it will be disconnected too.. which can be checked with select connected.
the Csg command can also seperate it with explode to morph.

Michael