PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting: 'compulsories' for one's reel?

jeric_synergy
09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
While you gotta work with what you got, what would the forum members say are things that might be regarded as "compulsories", in the figure skating sense, for one's reel?

For instance:

camera matching
texty mograph stuff
packaging
charts

Or do you just go with what you have?

(oooo, looks like I found a forum CSS bug: I don't think those bullet points are supposed to have a different background color.)

Netvudu
09-18-2012, 02:01 PM
well, first of all, what do you want to work as? Modeller, FX Artist, rigger, animator, generalist. This is the most important thing that will determine your reelīs contents.

nickdigital
09-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah, depends on what you're applying for.

jeric_synergy
09-18-2012, 05:19 PM
For video producers looking for subcontracting animators: in general, these are small companies/producers that are producing corporate and industrial videos, not big VFX firms.

So I'm pitching small-time producers, not the head of a department.

Dexter2999
09-18-2012, 05:20 PM
I would consider "compulsories" to be
modelling, yes the obligatory wire frames showing poly flow
texturing, could be the same model simply a progression
rigging and animation, how can you show rigging without animating?

Camera matching, motion graphics, special advanced abilities like lighting and camera work, to me, are bonus things that set you apart from the other applicants. "Compulsory" means EVERYONE needs to show these things.

jeric_synergy
09-18-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't think producers care about rigging per se: they just want to see "what's in the toolbox".

Something you or I find amazing may leave them cold, and properly so, since they aren't animators. But, say, charts might really flip their wig, or solid examples of camera matching.

BUT, if I were getting inundated with work I'd know the answer to this, so maybe I'm all wet.

Ryan Roye
09-18-2012, 08:19 PM
I can't say from experience, but I'd think a broader-scoped reel would be advantageous for any kind of independent contractor or freelance stuff (in cases where you're doing most of the work), and a more focused one for bigger jobs or pitching to a company.

littlewaves
09-19-2012, 03:43 AM
Haven't seen so much of this recently but pretty sure it was compulsory a few years ago for any 3D animation reel to include some sort of ed-209 (from robocop) derivative. Turntable animation + wires and occlusion passes then a bit of basic stomping around and firing it's stupid big guns.

On a less frivolous note one big problem with a lot of reels is including too much. only include the stuff you're most proud of and keep it short. I made the mistake of putting together a reel of various 3d logo flybys I'd done and showing it to a prospective client. I put the best one first of course and after that it just got very boring very quickly.