PDA

View Full Version : Diminishing Returns...

777twist
09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
I just upgraded from 9.6... and I'm basically just getting back into this after being out of it since like LW5.

Anyway, I have a project that used Antialiasing of 3, AS .01, OS .5 and I'm doing this to create a narrow DOF. It worked fine in 9.6... but in 11, the settings have changed to samples... so I left the ones in the other panel at 8, and I tried various settings of 1 and 20, to 20 and 80 (low, high) but I didn't notice a ton once I got beyond 5 and 40.

So is there a point of diminishing returns that is documented? Actually not that anyone would be able to notice without an A/B comparison, but it seems like I couldn't get settings to look better than what I rendered in 9.6. The difference is it was taking 2h20m a frame in 9.6, and I got a pretty similar render in 11 and it only took 14m.

Thanks for any info!

-Francesco

BeeVee
09-18-2012, 03:24 AM
It is really a case of personal judgement depending on your specific scene. It would be hard to document a "one size fits all" rule. I would suggest dropping Light and Shading Samples to 1 and then you know that your image quality is dictated by the Min/Max Samples and the Adaptive Sampling threshold. Try setting your Min to 1-3 (depending on how much transparency or thin polygon "slats" you have in the image) and your Max to 12. If the image isn't clean enough, bump up the Max. The documentation for 11.5 currently in progress gives a more concrete example.

B

RebelHill
09-18-2012, 06:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNB9tZWUmM