PDA

View Full Version : Move.me / Virtual Studio Tools / outside U.S? Think twice.....

50one
09-17-2012, 02:09 AM
If you're thinking about using the studio tools in Lightwave with the PS3 and you're outside the us, think again.

So, one of the reasons(if not the main one for me) that I bought/upgraded to LW 11 was the studio tools, wanted to use it to create interactive 'animations' of medical devices, and after reading the LW docs and seeing the SIGGRAPH demo I decided to upgrade to LW 11 and the only thing that is holding me back is the access/or lack thereof to this small app called 'move.me'. Looking at the PS3 website, it looked like a pretty straightforward process, all you need to do is just send an email and get the access code or something.

Now, this is where the story gets interesting...

The email found on the uk version of the move.me website[http://uk.playstation.com/moveme/] doesn't work - getting 550 error...there was another email in that 550 response that I wrote too - It seems that it belongs to one of the UK based project managers at Sony Europe....doesn't work either - 550 error[invalid recipient].

Went to the move.me subforum[http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Move-me/bd-p/22673] and it's empty:)...besides you can't even create a new thread - it's just doesn't work, firstly I thought that it must be something Opera related, but no it doesn't work in Chrome too..

I'm not angry,so far it's just funny, I'll try to contact anyone from Sony in the meantime using different methods, there must be someone that could help...I hope.

Anyway, I'll update this thread when I'll get lucky with getting access to the app.

geo_n
09-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Newtek should develop an app for android instead of using the ps3.

50one
09-17-2012, 03:46 AM
This forum is annoying too, wrote a long message, hit reply...and it's gone FFS!

anyway, sent an email to Sony US, maybe they will be able to help somehow, there is also a http://www.technology.scee.net/map London divison which I'll try to contact in case the Sony Us won't be able to help out.

50one
09-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Grr

ianr
09-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Try this
http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/peripherals/detail/item446165/Move-me/

BUT says only for Uni's & Research Affils
NEWTEK should solve this!

BeeVee
09-17-2012, 06:28 AM
The following is a workaround until Sony get their act together on the issue. Have an American friend (and hey there are loads here) buy a dollar PSN card to the value of Move.Me and tell you the numbers on the back. Then apparently you can go into your "local" PSN shop and purchase Move.Me because you are paying in dollars. It may be that you need to open an account with a US version of the PSN store, I don't know. I don't have a PS3 myself so I cannot tell you more, but that is what several people have done.

B

50one
09-17-2012, 07:07 AM
ianr - I work for the company that manufacture medical devices and this will be used for the medical research - besides we're working with local Uni too, so maybe it will be possible to get the license.

The following is a workaround until Sony get their act together on the issue. Have an American friend (and hey there are loads here) buy a dollar PSN card to the value of Move.Me and tell you the numbers on the back. Then apparently you can go into your "local" PSN shop and purchase Move.Me because you are paying in dollars. It may be that you need to open an account with a US version of the PSN store, I don't know. I don't have a PS3 myself so I cannot tell you more, but that is what several people have done.

B

Hi, That sounds like a plan, I'll try this soon - Hey american friends, anyone would like to help out;)?

Speaking of Sony - unfortunately there's no way - I Repeat NO WAY of contacting the SCEE(Sony Computer Entertainment Europe) - there's no email(s), telephone numbers. nothing, nada - just an address in London, the only emails that I manage to find - don't work(error 550 - invalid recipient) bollocks!.

ncr100
09-17-2012, 02:33 PM

B

Good idea - in the past I've acquired Japanese PlayStation 3 software via PSN simply by creating a new Japanese account. I assume this technique will work for move.me too. I can use the Japanese software from my non-Japanese base account, too.

BeeVee
09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Just a little update to my post. You need to supply a US address as well. It doesn't need to be a real address since you won't be registering a bank card.

B

50one
09-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, gonna try this tommorow!

Cryonic
09-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah, not really a good idea to link a feature like that to a closed, proprietary device. What about the PS3 does the Virtual Studio really need? Access to its game controller? plenty of those for PCs...

50one
09-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Yeah, not really a good idea to link a feature like that to a closed, proprietary device. What about the PS3 does the Virtual Studio really need? Access to its game controller? plenty of those for PCs...

Yes, I aggree with you, but the freedom of movements is what I'm after, would be great to have the Kinect support inside LW...soon:)

BTW. I've been contacted by someone from SCEE(after sending dozens of emails to various addresses that I could find online - most of them didn't work...) so fingers crossed my application will go through, BTW> The email on the UK version of move.me app doesn't work at the moment like I said earlier on, and I've been told that someone is looking into this now.

BeeVee
09-19-2012, 04:38 AM

Unfortunately, there isn't an alternative that offers the same degree of freedom. Things like the Razer Hydra are locked down too and are tethered as well. If you know of an alternative to the PlayStation Move I'm sure the LightWave Group would be very happy to hear about it.

B

Cryonic
09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Ahh, that explains some of the difficulties then. It isn't in Sony's or Microsoft's best interest for people that aren't into games to be buying and using these things (move or kinect) as they are loss leaders. It's the games that make them money (from licensing). The more units they sell to non-gamers, the less they make overall.

50one
09-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Ahh, that explains some of the difficulties then. It isn't in Sony's or Microsoft's best interest for people that aren't into games to be buying and using these things (move or kinect) as they are loss leaders. It's the games that make them money (from licensing). The more units they sell to non-gamers, the less they make overall.

Not true entirely, the person that i've spoken with regarding my application, told me that the move.me is currently available for academic research purposes only with the strong emphasis on physical therapy and/ or medical research. Still waiting for the news regarding my application tho...

fablefox
10-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Not so with Kinect. Microsoft even sell Kinect for Windows. So I guess they are not selling it at a loss.

It really hurt to know that I'm paying for a portion of a software that I can't really use? Sigh... I guess NT really cornering them self out of the market here. I don't know if the fake us address will work anywhere (or you really have to go vpn and all that). But maybe studios in asia, etc just strike the option off (virtual studio) and maybe just strike LW off... I don't really know.

Sony website is hard to get info on these things.

BeeVee
10-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Not so with Kinect. Microsoft even sell Kinect for Windows. So I guess they are not selling it at a loss.

But also Kinect cannot be used in the same way as the Move.

It really hurt to know that I'm paying for a portion of a software that I can't really use? Sigh... I guess NT really cornering them self out of the market here. I don't know if the fake us address will work anywhere (or you really have to go vpn and all that). But maybe studios in asia, etc just strike the option off (virtual studio) and maybe just strike LW off... I don't really know.

Sony website is hard to get info on these things.

I doubt you'd be able to get info from Sony on this, but I know several people that have successfully followed the method I gave earlier, As for "paying for a portion of the software you can't use"? A little over-dramatic don't you think? :)

B

AnomalyVFX
10-01-2012, 04:15 AM

I doubt you'd be able to get info from Sony on this, but I know several people that have successfully followed the method I gave earlier, As for "paying for a portion of the software you can't use"? A little over-dramatic don't you think? :)

B
got a Move controller.. not workin...
a week ago...
I used a PS "sixaxis-TYPE-ISH" logitech gamepad USB controller and got it to control my camera in all 6 axis, and have the trigger control the zoom envelope... was so psyched about this that i went and bought the $60 PS Move controller ...
in order to do what Newtek was showing at their last Siggraph showing.. with the dude on the bench sayin "hiya " and the bunny in the jail singing the blues etc...
no such luck.....
granted i haven't figured a way to get the freaking "charged" light" to stay(or even TURN green).. and doesn't show up in my Bluetooth like it's supposed to...
but want to SOOO want to use this as a virtual device in our high-end animation spots.
Guess this is a hardware-user-end issue since it's showing up fine in the virtual studio fine.. actually showing up multiple occasions .. which is curious and confusing...

jsut leaving this info here for anyone else who's dealing with this same issue... so we can hopefully get past the learning curve/bumps together...

BeeVee
10-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Have you read the manual, starting page 76 for a Move.Me setup?

B

fablefox
10-01-2012, 05:25 AM

B

Yeah, maybe I'm over dramatic. But a disclaimer on the videos (and website / documentation) would be nice. I was equally pissed off long long time ago when I first buy my first Android phone, only to realize I can only download free software, and unable to BUY commercial software (just google around, my country is Malaysia). And equally pissed off when I bought my ipad 3 and have no access to itunes (but can buy software / app). It took really long time with the android to a point the moment I can buy app, the only app I bought was swype because I already buy / skip whatever needed on PC (like business card pic to text,etc). At least it wasn't as long with itunes (but still a while, and in the meantime I can convert my cd into mp3).

Like I said, disclaimer would be nice.

50one
10-01-2012, 07:42 AM
So, just a quick update from myself regarding the move.me situation in UK, my application wasn't successful[only for the academic purposes] - not as the document say [academic & research], but I've been advised to send another one through the person that works for us and also works at local uni, so will try that and see...

fablefox
10-01-2012, 10:14 AM
So, just a quick update from myself regarding the move.me situation in UK, my application wasn't successful[only for the academic purposes] - not as the document say [academic & research], but I've been advised to send another one through the person that works for us and also works at local uni, so will try that and see...

Keep us posted, even though I'm in Malaysia, and I wouldn't hope too much. Maybe in the future...

50one
10-04-2012, 07:57 AM
So.... Sony just showed it's middle finger to me, is there anyone in States that could help??
Really need this for a project I'm working on.

jeric_synergy
10-04-2012, 08:24 AM
It really hurt to know that I'm paying for a portion of a software that I can't really use? Sigh..
Seriously? Should I be whinging about all that crap in Photoshop I never even look at? :screwy:

BeeVee
10-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Has anyone on here managed to do the US gift card shuffle I suggested?

B

m.d.
10-04-2012, 01:35 PM
in canada here....
but should work....

I just want to make sure i can have 2 copies of move.me since i will probably buy one as well...but ya no problem if i can help I will

50one
10-04-2012, 01:37 PM
in canada here....
but should work....

I just want to make sure i can have 2 copies of move.me since i will probably buy one as well...but ya no problem if i can help I will

That would be great, I'll probably contact you this weekend or early next if that's not a problem

cheers,
Simon

fablefox
10-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Seriously? Should I be whinging about all that crap in Photoshop I never even look at? :screwy:

There is a difference with not using a feature but its available, and need to use a feature, that promised, and you pay for it, only to see that its not available.

Its like buying a GPS+Phone that advertised as GPS+Phone only to realize because of where you live, you cannot use the GPS.

You know, the bru ha ha ha ha regading the new ipad and LTE/4G or something? IPAD is LTE compatible, but only to certain band. So even if you own ipad 3, and you country do have LTE (and you subscribe to one), but of different band (something technical usually not mentioned in layman advertising), you CANNOT use it (LTE).

And you started wondering, why do I pay for this again?

Is that clear? Thanks.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/08/new_ipad_4g_lte_incompatible_with_networks_outside _north_america.html

fablefox
10-04-2012, 10:12 PM
One of the reason I invested in LW (read: bought the edu, read tutorials, watch lw videos on youtube, etc) is because of this kind of thing. (my brother own a ps3). Am looking forward to this thing in the future. But this un-official, 3rd party card buying, country faking, make me felt standing on a shaky ground. what if my IP was blocked due to originating country?

Ironically, I also face the same thing with ipad (appstore unblocked, but itunes, back then, was blocked. not until a few months ago. so everybody was creating fake us account and buy itunes gift card from shady reseller that take mark-up, and all this to LEGALLY BUY MP3'S).

I felt like Android Store problem all over again...

EDIT:

Just remember, just because it can be faked at the moment, it doesn't mean Sony might won't get a word of it and decided to ban-ip wise. And removed the ability from the PS3 ala removing the linux support with update. Hence, shaky ground.

BeeVee
10-05-2012, 11:23 AM
There isn't really anything to ban though. Your US friend buys two $50 PSN gift cards, scratches to show the numbers and you enter them into your US PS3 account. Unless they insist on having proof that your US address is real (gas bill in your name at the address or something) it's not like they are going to want to invest the effort. Last night I bought the US Avengers Blu-Ray because the European one doesn't have the extras. Normally this would be difficult because of the zoning, but in the Avengers case, even the distributor urges fans to buy the US one and says that the disc is not zone-locked to facilitate...

B

Philbert
10-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Newtek should develop an app for android instead of using the ps3.

I'd be OK with that. It'd be a lot cheaper too.