PDA

View Full Version : Use flocking with animated cards?

pixelking
09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Is it possible to do a crowd scene ( warriors running across a hill or field) using 2d cards with animated textures of live people running in place. If so any idea on how to do that? Thanks for any help.

Areyos Alektor
09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
You can use "Clip Map" in "Object Properties" / "Render" tab for cutting after plating the sequence of images as planar texture.

pixelking
09-16-2012, 11:37 PM
You can use "Clip Map" in "Object Properties" / "Render" tab for cutting after plating the sequence of images as planar texture.

Would I then be able to use FLOCK to have the mass of animated cards going over terrain and hills?
I'm just getting back into lightwave and trying to relearn it. A lot has changed.

nickdigital
09-17-2012, 12:20 AM
I would think so. Just instance the cards on the flock agents.

wibly wobly
10-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm more of less trying to do the same thing today with an image stack of bubbles for some underwater scenes. I'd like to use the instancer for it but, I can't figure out a way to make them dissolve over time, a'la particle age (it's for a cartoon, so I don't need them to "pop" out). There's nothing in the instacer controls that I can find for it or in it's node controls. Never saw an opacity expression that I can use either. They're pretty much all related to position and rotation. I'd love to instance this because of the interactivity in the viewport over hypervoxel clip method. I think it'll render a lot faster to but, I'm not sure.

jeric_synergy
10-26-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm more of less trying to do the same thing today with an image stack of bubbles for some underwater scenes. I'd like to use the instancer for it but, I can't figure out a way to make them dissolve over time, a'la particle age (it's for a cartoon, so I don't need them to "pop" out).
Good luck with Particle Age-- it's been giving me a difficult time. :(

If you figure out good predictable usage, please post it. :cry:

wibly wobly
10-26-2012, 06:39 PM
lol I'll let you know if I do but, it's not looking good so far. The feature just made it in the program so I'm sure there's a lot of other ideas they're kicking around with for it's use. Having some kind of decay control for instances seems like a useful option to me. Maybe in 11.5 they'll have something in the node editor that'll let you connect it.

vector
10-27-2012, 05:16 AM
I have seen that technique in a making of and using LW (and HD_instance, I think)... sadly, I canīt remember what is the movie :(

ianr
10-27-2012, 10:09 AM
It may help to study this on YouTube called
:testing Lightwave 11 instances tracking particle motion
done by 'VueScriptsdotcom'
I think there is another nodal anim called
:Tutorial for instances on a terrain.
Now that's a gamerchanger in nodal use.
He can help you if there is a nodal work-a-round
doable at this moment. P.M. him
P.M. me on how you get on!