PDA

View Full Version : Obj Import Problem 11.x anyone able to help this guy?

jburford
09-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Sorry for posting here, hope is ok.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=5&t=1069561

Cheers

digitaldoc
09-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Just replied on CG forums:

In LW 11, type the letter o to bring up the options panel.

In the OBJ tab at the top, uncheck OBJ One layer and OBJ One VMap, you can also uncheck OBJ Reverse Ka & Kd.

The default settings are set up to automatically work with ZBrush which only accepts one layer and one vmap.

I hope this helps!

(For GoZ to work with ZBrush, those boxes DO need to be checked)

jwiede
09-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Actually, the OP might be seeing a real bug. In 11.0.3 I created a simple model in Modeler, selected some polys and created a part ("part"). Yet when I exported the object as OBJ, and looked at it in a text editor, I could not find any defined groups (regardless of OBJ preference settings). When the "OBJ one group" checkbox is UNchecked, and there are parts present in the object, shouldn't Modeler be exporting the parts in the created OBJ as poly groups?

I'm now creating an OBJ file with groups present in another pkg so I can test the scenario the OP said didn't work (OBJ import with groups), will report back with those results.

(edit) Just noticed something else that seemed odd. When I saved the simple object with parts as LWO, and then reloaded it, the parts were gone. SHouldn't the parts be saved in the LWO and still present when reloaded? Seems like maybe something is broken in terms of Modeler's part handling in general?

Stranger and stranger. If you save the obj+parts LWO, then close all and reload immediately, the obj comes back with parts. OTOH, if you shut down Modeler and restart, then reload the LWO the parts are gone. Also, the parts disappear when you export as OBJ, so reloading after exporting as OBJ (even w/ one group UNCHECKED) also omits parts. Very, very odd, and definitely broken. I'd love if someone else could confirm this on 11.0.3 Windows as well (I'm on Mac).

There definitely appears to be some problems w.r.t. parts in Modeler, so the OP's issue could easily be another symptom.

digitaldoc
09-20-2012, 06:27 AM
You are correct!

jwiede
09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Yep, hopefully parts/polygroups will be working again in 11.5.

jburford
09-30-2012, 02:34 AM
jwiede, can you report this through the bug reporting system with content, so they can work on?

jwiede
10-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Sure, I'll try to get to it by this weekend. Sorry, kind of got shoved aside by more pressing day-job work, but I'll get them filed.

jwiede
10-07-2012, 02:24 PM
OP's OBJ part->group issue filed as 51361. Still trying to pin reliable repro of part not even making into LWO, can't get it to repro at moment.

sami
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM
jwiede, you may know this:

I just noticed the OBJ prefs dialog in 11.03 is different than in 9.6. In 9.6.1, it used to have checkboxes for:

OBJ One Layer
OBJ One Vmap
OBJ Pivot at Center
OBJ Write Normals
OBJ Merge Points
OBJ Zbrush Mode

Now in 11.03 it has the same except OBJ Zbrush mode is not there anymore and OBJ Reverse Ka & Kd are in its place. Is that the same function and just renamed - or does it do something else? Are there exact docs for exactly what these settings do somewhere? I have a general idea, but I want to be sure.

bazsa73
02-06-2013, 02:07 AM
I just bumped into this problem in LW11.5. It hasn't been fixed but out of curiosity I checked in 9.6 and it works. Hm.

lertola2
02-06-2013, 08:34 PM
I put in a bug report on this in April 2012. (https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?45688_r487bf07mp5jagmi). It is disappointing that it is not fixed in 11.5.

If your goal is to get your parts int zbrush as polygroups a work around it to cut each part and past it back in to your object so that the seams are unwelded. Then after importing into zbrush choose Auto Group on the Tools/Polygroup panel. Then merge the points with the WeldPoints button on the Tools/Geometry panel.

-Joe

tburbage
02-09-2013, 06:27 PM
I just logged a different OBJ bug. Export scaling no longer works. That setting is important at least in exchange with Maya.

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicView&sTicket=56452_979begt3

Per the Parts <-> Polygroups issue, another "hack" workaround is to create a UV map where the UV islands describe the Polygrouping you want in ZB, then use Tool > Polygroups > Auto Groups With UV.

I wonder whether a topic "OBJ import/export issues" in for example the Membership Zone > Interchange Tools section might be a better place to focus discussion on data exchange with ZB...