PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Forums Down... and Up!

csandy
09-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Really strange... On my Mac, the forums work fine with Safari. On my PC, no go with Chrome or IE.

ShadowMystic
09-14-2012, 09:18 PM
For me as well. Sometimes mobile works but PC works. Sometimes it is vice verse.

probiner
09-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Same here... Goes up (running ok normally or even by proxy), and down (old forum's "closed for maintenance" message, either normal or by proxy) ....

Cheers

AbstractTech3D
09-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Also experiencing problems. Appears to be up only 1/3 of the time for the past 8 days or so. Sometimes using a proxy works. Otherwise I'm browsing directly from OSX Safari or Firefox. This problem only exists since the implementation of the new forum look.

50one
09-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Same here, usually works on safari/iPad but it's up&down on PC.

Anyway this whole operation of forum upgrade proves one thing to me - I'm glad that lightwave3D group is now separated from Newtek, as it is typical way of doing things by Newtek....

Would be great if there would be a separate forum for us on the lightwave3d/forum domain or something....

dee
09-15-2012, 04:38 AM
Same here... Goes up (running ok normally or even by proxy), and down (old forum's "closed for maintenance" message, either normal or by proxy) ....

Cheers

Same here, most of the time it's down.

Tobian
09-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Boing boing boing. It's been up and down at least 5 times for me over the week. Frustrating isn't the word! :) I have never seen IP propagation happen like this, where it reverts to the old one multiple times.

VermilionCat
09-16-2012, 04:03 AM
I also have same problem.
Which side's fault is this?

Hail
09-16-2012, 04:11 AM
Same here.
Its been kinda like a roller coaster bumping up and down every now and then :(

inkpen3d
09-16-2012, 09:35 AM
I've been seeing the same behaviour - once in a while I can get access to the forums for about 15 minutes, then I'll click on a thread and it's back to the old style forum with the down for maintenance message - after that, you can forget trying to access the forums for the rest of the day. Frustrating or what! :(

probiner
09-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Well... try these if you're wanting to access the forum and you're not able to, until this gets fixed.

https://zend2.com browser proxy
http://proxycover.net browser proxy, this one has some issues with Apostrophes ' for me, so be advised.
https://www.hotspotshield.com/ installable VPN

@Inkpen: I now copy to clipboad my post before I hit "Submit" :D

Cheers

Skonk
09-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Sadly it's pretty typical of Newtek to do this type of thing.

cagey5
09-16-2012, 01:34 PM
A couple of days was frustrating. This is verging on the unbelievable.

I've been using anonymouse for the times I can't connect directly.

50one
09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
A couple of days was frustrating. This is verging on the unbelievable.

I've been using anonymouse for the times I can't connect directly.

I've said few times in the past(also when new joomla template lightwave website was launched, if we can cLl that a launch) Newtek should seriously consider getting rid of that guy responsible for this mess as it is not the first time when the web department is just taking a pi$$...

inkpen3d
09-17-2012, 01:39 AM
I seem to seem to have continuous access to the forums now, so maybe (fingers crossed) things have settled down or issues resolved.

The explanation that I got from NT customer support that the problem was down to the propagation of DNS values around the WWW didn't really seem to explain why the forums kept doing a prolonged vanishing act. I'm by no means an expert on the subject - so I'm just guessing here - but maybe the issues were actually located with the ISP company that NT are using to host their web site, and these issues have now been resolved?

mattc
09-17-2012, 04:20 AM
The explanation that I got from NT customer support that the problem was down to the propagation of DNS values around the WWW didn't really seem to explain why the forums kept doing a prolonged vanishing act.

Well, that's a pretty accurate description of what was going on. The IP address was not being propagated properly from NT's ISP's name server to the rest of the internet (it may still be problematic, my home ISP was still reporting the old IP address when I left Aust on Sunday morning).

cagey5
09-17-2012, 05:08 AM
So what's the new ip address, because I still get the old site at present.

mattc
09-17-2012, 12:36 PM
New forum IP address is 68.168.104.68, You should be able to add this to your hosts file.

v1u1ant
09-17-2012, 04:39 PM
man this up and down of these forums is doing my head in

SBowie
09-18-2012, 09:34 AM
The good folk in MIS have passed along some information I can share.

A good many of the intermittent issues we've all seen are DNS related, subsequent to the recent server upgrade. Our Time Warner service still has old entries in their DNS servers. Others on the same network with automatic settings will still bounce to the old forums. To diagnose this issue from home, those who feel comfortable mucking about with such things can set their DNS manually to the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), then flush their PC's DNS cache and re-register DNS. If the new forums load properly afterward, the issue was clearly the TWT DNS servers (this works for any other carrier, including Road Runner).

Hail
09-19-2012, 07:18 AM
The good folk in MIS have passed along some information I can share.

A good many of the intermittent issues we've all seen are DNS related, subsequent to the recent server upgrade. Our Time Warner service still has old entries in their DNS servers. Others on the same network with automatic settings will still bounce to the old forums. To diagnose this issue from home, those who feel comfortable mucking about with such things can set their DNS manually to the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), then flush their PC's DNS cache and re-register DNS. If the new forums load properly afterward, the issue was clearly the TWT DNS servers (this works for any other carrier, including Road Runner).

sounds like rocket science to me.
I feel completely lost on this one :confused:
A step by step procedure ll be more useful Sbowie:)

SBowie
09-19-2012, 07:46 AM
A step by step procedure ll be more useful Sbowie:)I doubt it's really possible, there being so many OS variants, different browsers, etc. While I think a lot of us could muddle through, this is why I said "those who feel comfortable mucking about with such things ...' Some will need help, or just to wait with endurance.

Tony R
09-19-2012, 07:58 AM
I never have a problem connecting to the site. Its just that when I do, it always says it is down for maintanence. This has happened repeatedly up until early this morning. I dont think that is a DNS issue. Are they doing that much maintanence?

SBowie
09-19-2012, 08:02 AM
I never have a problem connecting to the site. Its just that when I do, it always says it is down for maintanence.Then you are having a problem connecting to the site. The old forum is still online at the old IP, but locked. I gather this is to provide MIS with access for their own particular use. Generally, though, your DNS - if up to date - should be pointing you to this website ... not the defunct one.

I dont think that is a DNS issue.See above.

Tony R
09-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Oh, if that is the old forum, then that makes sense. I thought it was the new one that was giving me the message. I flushed my dns (ipconfig /flushdns) and saved a new favorite from the newtek site. Working so far.

bobakabob
09-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Hope the forums are working now. How long has it been? Tres disappointing guys. Reminiscent of the 'do a search for an old email to find the online shop' debacle.

SBowie
09-19-2012, 01:19 PM
The forums have been working very well for me (ignoring the Search function issues) all day - ever since one of our IT guys flushed my DNS cache.

Hail
09-19-2012, 01:37 PM
I doubt it's really possible, there being so many OS variants, different browsers, etc. While I think a lot of us could muddle through, this is why I said "those who feel comfortable mucking about with such things ...' Some will need help, or just to wait with endurance.

Thats sad:(

rally1
09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
How to flush DNS on all machines: http://www.whatsmydns.net/flush-dns.html

The end user really shouldn't have to do this if the changes were made properly in the first place.

Netvudu
09-19-2012, 02:58 PM
I agree. Iīve been through countless forum updates moving the whole thing to somewhere else and never had this problem. Itīs also very tipical from any internet services company to blame someone else hiding under some technical jargon. The truth is the forum didnīt work for me for most of the day, and some of my work partners can access sometimes, some times not. Does anybody really expect from every user to flush their DNS? that could be thousand of users!! The sole idea is ridiculous...

SBowie
09-19-2012, 03:12 PM
I agree it's all quite annoying. I can easily see it's a complex matter though, and all the more so the bigger you are: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/Solution-for-your-DNS-error-80710102-problems-Works-for-all-ISP/td-p/13605550

The truth is the forum didnt work for me for most of the day, and some of my work partners can access sometimes, some times not.Doesn't this just prove that a) it's not one single problem, and b) different platforms, os'es, browsers, as well as individual network and browser configuration options can be involved.

Does anybody really expect from every user to flush their DNS?I'm no IT guru, but your own experience demonstrates that individuals even at the same place and on the same primary network will have different results. And much as we'd enjoy a visit, we can't send staff to your home and workplace to flush cached data for you or check your settings. The alternative, given *so many different DNS servers around the world, is to wait it out.

*Here are just some of them, not counting the countless local cases at almost every ISP (and who knows how often those get updated): http://www.root-servers.org/

cagey5
09-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I agree... snip.. Does anybody really expect from every user to flush their DNS? that could be thousand of users!! The sole idea is ridiculous...

For what it's worth, you're right.

rally1
09-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry, but it seems your MIS group needs a wake up call.

I have had our IT guy refresh the LAN DNS servers, I have flushed my own DNS settings, tried different DNS servers, and one minute the forums show up, the next it's the old forums, and this is week two of this?

It's obvious that whoever Newtek had do this work didn't do it right. Please, someone take responsibility and find the fix. I would think it's in your best interest to do so. Each of us can go to a different forum (CreativeCow) and move on, Newtek needs the forums to work more than we as individuals do.

SBowie
09-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry, but it seems your MIS group needs a wake up call.What exactly would you have them do?

rally1
09-19-2012, 04:24 PM
I don't manage websites for a living, I would hope they (Codero?) would know. If they don't I would suggest hiring an outside company with this area of expertise.

rally1
09-19-2012, 04:34 PM
I guess I can try and do their job for them.

It looks like the IP has propagated everywhere except SA and New Zealand regions: http://viewdns.info/propagation/?domain=forums.newtek.com So it's not just a propagation issue (especially now that we are many days into it).

You want forums.newtek.com to point to 68.168.104.68 right?

cagey5
09-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Also you could get them to read this thread..

http://forum.slicehost.com/index.php?p=/discussion/822/dns-and-moving-servers/p1

Though it would have made better reading before the event.

rally1
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
http://64.62.198.35 appears to be the old ip linked to forums.newtek.com right? And that was hosted by EGIHosting, or Hurricane Electric (http://www.he.net/about_network.html) 55 South Market St San Jose, CA? So you guys switched hosting companies with the forum move?

You also had lw3d.net 35.vincent.newtek.com and nttoaster.com on that server?

kadri
09-19-2012, 04:42 PM
For nearly 2 days i got the
"The NewTek Discussion Boards are currently closed for maintenance. Please stop by later..." message.

The guys who are after solving LW problems are another story
but i try to see it from the good side unlike my former attitude !
There are more productive ways then been always after the new threads on forums.
This 2 days was like helping someone quitting smoking.
But this is a bad habit; i am not sure i can keep on :)

SBowie
09-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm quite certain those involved appreciate suggestions. I just think (and have reason to think) it's a much more complex matter that many imagine. As I pointed out earlier, if Sony can't avoid this sort of problem on a platform as prolific and proprietary as as PS3, that demonstrates pretty conclusively to me that this is neither as easily fixed nor avoided as some seem to think.

Netvudu
09-19-2012, 04:55 PM
SBowie, the problem isnīt that we canīt understand its problematic. I imagine it is. The problem is those guys working for you made it sound as if the problem was on the users side! Thatīs a big no no in my book! "You break it, you fix it." Not "you break it, you wait until someone finds a work around and in the meantime blame the other part".

rally1
09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
In reverse DNS
68.168.104.68 = http://argus-holdings.com I guess the last people on that server? And to codero.net your new hosting company?
64.62.198.35 = looks to be the main Newtek site and older domains.

Forums.newtek.com correctly resolves to 68.168.104.68, and Kenny Phipps is your System Admin listed for that domain.

rally1
09-19-2012, 04:59 PM
You are really comparing it to the Sony issue? Thousands of websites change server locations every day (every hour?), so it very easy to avoid. A company or individual who is paid to do this kind of switch should have it working within minutes, maybe hours, certainly not days or weeks. Hence the suggestion to consult another company. Telling us to change our settings is not a solution, and it comes across as not taking responsibility.

Netvudu
09-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Not to mention the huge amount of people who (as myself a few hours ago) think there is a persitent manteinance process going on that lasts for days....
They cannot log in to read the solution!

cagey5
09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
First thing I did when it was first down for several hours was go in search of information elsewhere. Thought there may be something on the ever popular [cough] CGTalk forums, certainly a thread had been started by confused members but with no input from anyone official it was a bit of a guess as to what the problem was. Might be a back-up plan to consider in the future.

SBowie
09-19-2012, 05:15 PM
The problem is those guys working for you made it sound as if the problem was on the users side!I've seen no indication of that in anything they've said, either privately or elsewise. That said, there are aspects of this that some users can, indeed may have to remedy themselves, and that information has been offered,

SBowie
09-19-2012, 05:20 PM
You are really comparing it to the Sony issue? The similarities are obvious. In what way is it a different situation?

Telling us to change our settings is not a solution, and it comes across as not taking responsibility.One might, instead, view it as offering some practical assistance. The suggestions worked for me, both at work and at home. There is no way a company - any company - can flush the entire DNS system worldwide, much less handle client side issues that almost certainly exist in some smaller number of cases but which were brought to light by the change.

rally1
09-19-2012, 05:24 PM
For all of us that are taking this an opportunity to learn about DNS: http://serverfault.com/questions/153690/why-arent-our-dns-records-propagating-out-into-the-internet

And this tool is quite helpful: http://dns.squish.net/traverses/35f6e89ee255823cc33c510f82646b76/detail It would appear two of the name servers Newtek is using ns1.chrl.twtelecom.net and ns1.snan.twtelecom.net have not been properly updated, still show the old IP. Keep in mind these are the name server the Newtek MIS have listed, so you don't have to flush anything "worldwide".
Not having any of the information that Newtek has, I don't know what they have or have not already tried, but if I was them that is where I would begin. And again I don't do this for a living, so someone that does might already be doing this. Sorry for trying to help, I just can't help it. But the attitude puts me off the whole thing, good luck.
For us mere mortals we simply login to our GoDaddy, Dreamhost or Register.com account and update the name servers.

cagey5
09-19-2012, 05:31 PM
And as the TTL's are controlled by the people running the network it's back to Newtek. Sorry Steve you seem to be defending a poorly implemented transition whichever way it gets diced up. Either way it is what it is and I'm out of here.

SBowie
09-19-2012, 05:46 PM
I'd certainly have been pleased had things been more seamless, and it is no part of my duties to make a defense of anyone. However, I do get to see a small corner of the effort that has gone into resolving these issues, and know it is far from as simple as some contend. I had someone a couple of days ago insisting that all we needed to do was move the 'files' to the D drive, reinstall Windows and the forum software. That sort of thing convinces me that there are those who completely underestimate the job.

kopperdrake
09-20-2012, 05:16 AM
I'd like to know if there are likely to be more down periods? Several times over the last week I've come on to look up a technique or conversation that would help me with a project, or potential project, and the forums are down. I use this place as a very valuable resource, and never take it for granted as such, so when I find I can't jog my memory about something, or gain access, it seriously can hold me back. To me this forum is one of the main reasons I can still defend LightWave - the community and how helpful and useful they are. Without this forum I would feel as lost as a Vue user. Us small studios can (and do) rely heavily on the sharing of knowledge in this forum, as it is without doubt the most common place for other LWers to hang out and discuss the useful and banal. I have just logged on to look up sketchup to LightWave workflow, and my heart was literally in my mouth whilst waiting for the site to either load, or give me that darned message again. Thank squirrel nutkin it's up again.

I know this forum is not part of the official LightWave licence, but I do want it made known how utterly reliant some of us are on it, and the frustration it causes when it can't be accessed. Perhaps it teaches me I need to move into other forums, but none hold a candle to this place.

Edited to add, I've just found that the search feature is borked as well - "searching sketchup to lightwave" gives results from the last few weeks to everything before 2007! We've a big chunk of 5 years missing.

Not good at all.

inkpen3d
09-20-2012, 05:45 AM
I'd like to know if there are likely to be more down periods? Several times over the last week I've come on to look up a technique or conversation that would help me with a project, or potential project, and the forums are down. I use this place as a very valuable resource, and never take it for granted as such, so when I find I can't jog my memory about something, or gain access, it seriously can hold me back. To me this forum is one of the main reasons I can still defend LightWave - the community and how helpful and useful they are. Without this forum I would feel as lost as a Vue user. Us small studios can (and do) rely heavily on the sharing of knowledge in this forum, as it is without doubt the most common place for other LWers to hang out and discuss the useful and banal. I have just logged on to look up sketchup to LightWave workflow, and my heart was literally in my mouth whilst waiting for the site to either load, or give me that darned message again. Thank squirrel nutkin it's up again.

I know this forum is not part of the official LightWave licence, but I do want it made known how utterly reliant some of us are on it, and the frustration it causes when it can't be accessed. Perhaps it teaches me I need to move into other forums, but none hold a candle to this place.

Edited to add, I've just found that the search feature is borked as well - "searching sketchup to lightwave" gives results from the last few weeks to everything before 2007! We've a big chunk of 5 years missing.

Not good at all.

Totally agree - I'm in exactly the same boat.

Before today, I belatedly discovered that the only way I could get reliable access to the NT forums was to add it's IP address into my computer's hosts file (and clear out the browser cache). The trouble is, I had to spend precious time digging around to find out how to do this. A lot of users may not be able to track down how to do this for their given OS, or maybe not have the confidence even to start down this route.

Maybe I've just lived a sheltered on-line life, but this is the first time that I've ever encountered a web site or forum exhibiting such unreliable access for so long!

Today, as an experiment, I removed the NT forums IP address from the hosts file and cleared my browser cache and, so far, I appear to have had continuous access to the forums. Let's hope this continues!

SBowie
09-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Maybe I've just lived a sheltered on-line life, but this is the first time that I've ever encountered a web site or forum exhibiting such unreliable access for so long!I know they were continuing to work on the DNS issues last evening, but I can agree that I've personally never run into anything like this. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen thoguh - it took me about a minute to find that Sony example I posted, and less than that to find this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1396834

The sad fact is, %^& happens. I wish it happened a whole lot less, and sometimes it does seem that we have suffered from an unbroken string of such things, but then again maybe we only notice something when it's busted. We completely take it for granted when it all works reasonably well.

I've just found that the search feature is borked as well - "searching sketchup to lightwave" gives results from the last few weeks to everything before 2007!It's a real pain when Search doesn't work correctly. Just for the record, I reported this myself in person something like a week ago. It's never been great actually, but still I rely on it ... and not just for product information, etc. For example, as a moderator I may use it to review someone's posting history, with a view to distinguishing a person who is merely upset (possibly with good cause) from someone who over time is clearly seen to be a troll and little more; or I may use it to hunt up posts that mention someone's system specs, workflow, etc., when debugging an issue.

nocancer
09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
NewTek Forum up & down - not working

This should fix this situation. http://living-water.info/tricaster3.htm
PC - Internet Explorer - XP

The NewTek forum also appeared to me to be up and down. I think, it is actually not hooking up properly.
The real problem . . . is it appears to be up and down. But actually, it is not working!

Hail
09-20-2012, 09:05 AM
When is the roller coaster in this forum going to end Sbowie?
Its getting pretty frustrating.
Ah!
NOT COOL AT ALLLLL...:(

SBowie
09-20-2012, 09:13 AM
When is the roller coaster in this forum going to end Sbowie?Your guess is as good as mine. For me personally, with the exception of exceptionally long page refreshes for no obvious reason once in awhile, and the late lamented Search function, it's been working fine for me for a few days, both here and at home. (This is not to imply a lack of sympathy with those having ongoing issues.)

GregMalick
09-20-2012, 10:47 AM
For the past week, every time I come here, the board is down. Day & Night.

I have to admit, it's an excellent way to wean me off of using the forum and checking for interesting posts or replying to things.

Titus
09-20-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm back after a couple of weeks away, got tired of the "down for maintenance" glitch.

colkai
09-20-2012, 01:45 PM
I.T. is complicated, no two ways about that. However,, those in MIS are, one presumes, actually paid to know about IT and how to solve issues? If not, perhaps it would be worth contracting in someone who does have the skillset to fix the issue instead of constantly telling users it must be an issue at their end? Have to add, I have also flushed my dns, stopped and started my dnscache and it has made not one scrap of difference, the forums continue to play "hide and seek", I just draw the line of hard-setting my hosts file, one has ones limits after all.

SBowie
09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
... instead of constantly telling users it must be an issue at their end?Has anyone really said that? Really? I haven't, nor I think has anyone else - nor even implied it. There will always be a small number with truly local issues, mind you, and in those and cases direct hands on measures may be the only answer. In some other cases, the steps that have been suggested might shorten the duration of the issues ... but no one is suggesting that users are the source of the problem.

rally1
09-20-2012, 03:58 PM
It looks like Newtek finally changed their name servers to ones that work?! Fingers crossed.

As I pointed out above, they were using ns1.snan.twtelecom.net and ns1.chrl.twtelecom.net and those name servers had the wrong IP information, they must have found their GoDaddy login info ( :hey: ) and corrected them to: ns1.twtelecom.net and ns2.twtelecom.net Not sure why the bumped the TTL back to 24hours.

107976 vs. 107977

Here's hoping. No Jinx.

probiner
09-20-2012, 06:37 PM
I must say forum access seems stable now, didn't had to use proxies today. :)
Cheers

colkai
09-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Has anyone really said that? Really? I haven't, nor I think has anyone else - nor even implied it.

Can't recall who said it, but yep, it was explicitly pointed out to me a couple of times that it must be a DNS problem with my ISP, I'd have to search, I wouldn't have said it otherwise. Now if it wsa someone not offically speaking for Newtek who, "was reliably informed", I can't say. As I say, I'd have to nose about. Which at present, is, ahem, unstable.

rally1
09-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm sure at some point Steve will confirm if the DNS issue is now fixed, and what the fix was.

Airwaves
10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
I agree it's all quite annoying. I can easily see it's a complex matter though, and all the more so the bigger you are: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/Solution-for-your-DNS-error-80710102-problems-Works-for-all-ISP/td-p/13605550

Doesn't this just prove that a) it's not one single problem, and b) different platforms, os'es, browsers, as well as individual network and browser configuration options can be involved.

I'm no IT guru, but your own experience demonstrates that individuals even at the same place and on the same primary network will have different results. And much as we'd enjoy a visit, we can't send staff to your home and workplace to flush cached data for you or check your settings. The alternative, given *so many different DNS servers around the world, is to wait it out.
[/url][/INDENT]

I have a site where we were programming a forum into it and the php code looked all correct but once we implemented it we ran into numerous problems like users not being able to log in and many others. I feel your pain and understand!

rally1
10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Did we ever get clarification on what the fix was?

50one
10-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Did we ever get clarification on what the fix was?

In case you missed it, there was an other thread where they said it was gopher that was chewin' on the cables, I can confirm that the gopher is now gone...
Here's a picture of this little fella.

skype6
10-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Working more stable now, but still has problems with opening images! It should be faster. I noticed that the search does not work well. Whatever I type to throws something else.:twak:

SBowie
10-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Yep. Search still sucks. I still get the occasional sluggish response, too, but nowhere near as bad as it was a week ago.

erikals
10-19-2012, 11:53 AM
better, but still not stable :[

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb5qt7EAm51qf3fl5o1_500.jpg

OnlineRender
10-19-2012, 03:54 PM
sorry found a bug only way I can manage my files was to post a thread hence the file ... sorry

MAUROCOR
10-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Arrrggh!!! Oh please, how long will we get this horrible forum? Wasnīt it temporary? Every time I come here I cry! Really!

cagey5
10-20-2012, 05:08 PM
+1

erikals
10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
it's... temporary... (or...) :l

Cryonic
10-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Well, according to the US Supreme Court, Limited Time means anything less than forever, so by that reasoning, Temporary means anything shorter than Forever... heheh.

Cryonic
10-24-2012, 10:47 PM
The new sluggishness of the system seems to kick in right around 15 minutes BEFORE the hour (6:45, 7:45, etc...). It doesn't last nearly as long as it did in the past, but it is still there.

Lewis
10-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Is there going to be NewTek theme like before this complete mess/upgrade started or we are stuck with those dark as hell blacks and brown / blueeish themes ? Also what about TOP row images at root and Gallery Images on topics? Top row never happened (sadly) but we had gallery image sin front of Topics and now we don't have so hows that and "update" when we got less featured set :).

BTW i don't know why but every attachment i hover on mouse with opens up without even clicking on it (FFox 14, 15, 16). Id' like to click to open not just hover over image :(.

50one
10-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Is there going to be NewTek theme like before this complete mess/upgrade started or we are stuck with those dark as hell blacks and brown / blueeish themes ? Also what about TOP row images at root and Gallery Images on topics? Top row never happened (sadly) but we had gallery image sin front of Topics and now we don't have so hows that and "update" when we got less featured set :).

BTW i don't know why but every attachment i hover on mouse with opens up without even clicking on it (FFox 14, 15, 16). Id' like to click to open not just hover over image :(.

Same with opera, chrome dude. I believe the answers will be NO, to all of your question.
I think the best thing to do would be to create a proper forum on lightwave 3d domain and shift the lw user there, this way the forum could get some luvin'......

erikals
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
The new sluggishness of the system seems to kick in right around 15 minutes BEFORE the hour (6:45, 7:45, etc...). It doesn't last nearly as long as it did in the past, but it is still there.

hm,... according to an accurate internet clock it seemed to start about 20:43:00 over here and refresh at 20:45:40

Oedo 808
10-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Can't really think of anything appropriate to say regarding this so I'll just go with...

I hurp when I derp so I hurp-a-derp.

jwiede
10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
hm,... according to an accurate internet clock it seemed to start about 20:43:00 over here and refresh at 20:45:40
Yep, those are the times I've noticed as well. It starts slightly before :45, and at :45:30+ is when it suddenly seems to "wake up" again.

erikals
10-26-2012, 02:47 PM
same time, same Bat Channel...

bit delayed today updated at xx:xx:52

jwiede
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
So any chance someone from Newtek can comment what the current status is regarding these Forum problems?

SBowie
10-30-2012, 07:03 AM
All I can say is that I know for certain that people have been tasked to try to get to the bottom of it. Apart from this 'periodic' problem, I'm also told that it is planned to allocate further resources with a view to making forum and website navigation 'perkier'.

probiner
10-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Good to hear Steve. I feel like Homer Simpon (Doh') when I come to the forums by chance around that time (43-46). Which is small, but adds up. Looking forward for the perks :)

Cheers

erikals
10-30-2012, 08:11 AM
'bout 30 minutes 'till the next event... :°

jtighe
10-31-2012, 08:34 AM
We added a second processor to the server on 10/30/2012 to speed up the overall application performance.

rally1
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Same time, longgggg slowdown.

SBowie
10-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Elsewhere in the news, I'm told that the hourly 'timeout' has been diagnosed and resolution should follow before too long.

50one
10-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Awesome! Now, please fix the bug where the last page of a thread isn't actually the last one;)

probiner
10-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Hip hip hurray Steve and jtighe! By the way the Forum Icons are new, arent' they ? (not the thread one). Look nice

Awesome! Now, please fix the bug where the last page of a thread isn't actually the last one;)

I don't know how will that be solved, since it's due to a mismatch of post count and actual content, resultant of scrapping members and all of their posts and threads.

erikals
10-31-2012, 03:02 PM
the main ones are not fixed though, such as :D :) ;) :o :( :confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :p

fixed ones are located here >
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php.htm

erikals
10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
or click-drag these >

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/biggrin.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/wink.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/redface.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/frown.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/confused.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/eek.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/mad.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/rolleyes.gif
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/tongue.gif

probiner
11-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Sorry to inform you Steve but the issue around 4x-xx problem persists.

A report before: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/forums.newtek.com/FqqmqZkd
7 minutes in between where the site couldn't analyze, while I kept hitting the button.
A report after: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/forums.newtek.com/YvJKaI1w

But the latter one takes more time.

Don't know if any of that data helps... (check the timeline tab and all) but there it is.

Cheers

SBowie
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Sorry to inform you Steve but the issue around 4x-xx problem persists.Thanks for the added detail. But yes, I know. I'm on here pretty much all day off and on, so it would be pretty hard to slip that by me. I didn't actually say it was fixed, mind you; I said it would be fixed. I was actually finding it worse today. :(