PDA

View Full Version : Leaked info on future Intel workstation CPUs.

Ernest
09-13-2012, 09:16 PM
http://vr-zone.com/articles/idf-sf-2012-haswell-ep-en-grantley-in-2014-now-with-moar-cores/17188.html

VR Zone claims that secret contacts at IDF gave them insider info on the next CPUs for the "high performance" segment.

You already know that, on the enterprise highest end, the 2.4 GHz 'Westmere EX' 10-core Xeon E7 4800 will be replaced by mid next year with the 2.2+ GHz 15-core 'Ivy Bridge EX' Xeon E7 4800 v2 and the brand new socket 2011 but with different pinout than the one you knew before. That rocket will have a socket compatible upgrade in the 16-20 core 'Haswell EX' Xeon E7 4800 / 8800 v3 in mid 2014

it now looks like the current 8 core Sandy Bridge EP Xeon E5 2600 / 4600, to be followed by mid next year with socket compatible 10 core 3.2+ GHz Ivy Bridge EP Xeon E5 2600 / 4600 v2, will have a 2014 replacement - this time again with yet another different pinout within the same physical Socket 2011 dimensions. The Haswell EP Xeon E5 2600 / 4600 v3, which will likely also have a uni-CPU desktop flavour too, is expected to be a 14-core processor with 4-channel DDR4-2133[/url]

ShadowMystic
09-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Eventually all graphics companies will move to arctic regions to maintain acceptable processor core temps.

zapper1998
09-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Eventually all graphics companies will move to arctic regions to maintain acceptable processor core temps.

thats what water cooling is for..

hehehe
:)

JCG
09-14-2012, 03:01 PM

hehehe
:)Or oil cooling!
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/09/04/intel-explores-mineral-oil-cooling/

ShadowMystic
09-14-2012, 09:21 PM

hehehe
:)

Water and oil cooling still require heat exchange somewhere. They have to blow cooler air over the fins or fluid to extract heat. What better than arctic air!

jwiede
09-15-2012, 05:42 AM
I've always hoped for a return of the "waterfall" from the SGI T3E. Next up,artificial blood-based cooling system like the Cray YMP.

zapper1998
09-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Or you could fashion an old small refridgerator and install computer in it, and keep the whole system really cool..

Did it years ago with and old dual socket machine, but the newest build the case is to large for the Cooler..

Need bigger cooler..

silviotoledo
09-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Liquid nitrogen is a choice, but these future computers will be a bit dangerous machines

Hail
09-15-2012, 05:04 PM
so we aren't getting any 100 core plus cpus any time soon huh? :D
I hope I won't need to wait to be all grey to see that :)

The Dommo
09-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Nice CPUs. Me wants.

Tobian
09-16-2012, 04:47 AM
quite possible in the near future with the xeon phi (Though they will need a cpu-embedded version to overcome the latency issues, or a bus design that is a LOT faster! :-) ).

Tobian
09-16-2012, 04:49 AM
oops double post. forum being slow :-)

Hail
09-16-2012, 05:17 AM
on the contrary I feel abit dissappointed because those cpus are not overkills compared to the current generation we have.
I bet even todays software demands can make these scream and future demands ll completely eat those to dust
Abit more cpu power ll be needed to meet these demands

wibly wobly
09-17-2012, 05:21 AM
And I just got a 6 core 2011 last week.....

Glad this isn't coming out around the corner. I'm actually surprised it's taking Intel this long to start really rolling out the mega core cpus. I was expecting that to start last year.

erikals
09-17-2012, 07:09 AM
i decided to place my pc outside on the porch due noise, but it's also a very efficient cooler in the wintertime,
where temperatures go way below 0C or 20F...

(a homemade box, protected against water)

ShadowMystic
09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
i decided to place my pc outside on the porch due noise, but it's also a very efficient cooler in the wintertime,
where temperatures go way below 0C or 20F...

(a homemade box, protected against water)

A teacher of mine in high school had his box sucking directly from the AC vent and exhausting outside using some duct work. What if you could use PC exhaust to heat house in the winter? I did in a small studio apartment when SLI cards idle at 35C, but I wonder for a real household.

erikals
09-17-2012, 06:57 PM
i guess i could, it did cross my mind, but it would take a bit of work, and i'm unsure if it would be worth it, as it is only one PC and the CPU is not running at 100%. but it's definitely something to consider if i get a small render farm :] especially since apartments here in central Oslo are quite small.

kopperdrake
09-18-2012, 03:44 AM
A teacher of mine in high school had his box sucking directly from the AC vent and exhausting outside using some duct work. What if you could use PC exhaust to heat house in the winter? I did in a small studio apartment when SLI cards idle at 35C, but I wonder for a real household.

Hehe, already done to an extent - our 3-man studio is heated by our PCs, with a small backup radiator kicking in overnight in the winter if the temperature looks like it'll drop too low when the PCs aren't rendering. We're in a roof conversion so the triangular cross section is more efficient to heat (less volume). The desks sit under one of the sloping walls that has storage built in to them, so they have a short vertical wall that rises to meet the 45 degree angle of the ceiling.The heat rises from the back of the PCs and monitors, circulates up, over our heads, to the centre of the room, and creates a circular vortex of hot air. The cool air flows underneath the desks, past the back of our legs, to meet the rising the hot air at the backs of the PCs.
To minimise the loss of this heat in the winter we have three types of insulation:

1) 300mm standard loft insulation in the floor cavity, to prevent downward loss of heat.
2) 50mm Kingspan in the walls/ceilings.
3) 30mm Actis Tri Iso Super 10+ Insulation in the walls/ceilings.

The issue I really would like to address is what can we do with the spare heat during the summer, rather than venting it through the skylights or out through the door! One option that has occurred to me is to somehow store it in a thermal mass, such as water, for release overnight in a greenhouse outside the building. That would be the least complicated I imagine, except that we can't use water flow as we're high up - the hot water would remain high and not allow us to circulate the heat in the pipes. Another option would be to use a mini airsource heatpump affair to help generate electric from the waste heat, which could then be stored in a 12v battery. This battery could then power LED lights in the studio during darker days.

Anyone any other thoughts?

erikals
09-18-2012, 05:27 AM
- Woolen socks. Seriously, they kick :]
- Real wooden floor also helps a great deal, as plastic gets really cold. (not sure if that is real or not)
- Carpets under feet help to some extent.
- Be careful though with too much draft, some people are sensitive to it and get easily sick (me).

but as for methods that actually heat, tricky. maybe get a heat pump?

dickbill
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
So, what's AMD's answer?

wibly wobly
09-19-2012, 05:43 AM
CPU's named after station wagon's instead of construction equipment?

JonW
09-19-2012, 06:55 AM
1) 300mm standard loft insulation in the floor cavity, to prevent downward loss of heat.
2) 50mm Kingspan in the walls/ceilings.
3) 30mm Actis Tri Iso Super 10+ Insulation in the walls/ceilings.

You should have used some Aerogel Spaceloft!

1)The issue I really would like to address is what can we do with the spare heat during the summer

Everyone could pair up with someone in the opposite hemisphere!

dickbill
09-19-2012, 09:45 AM
CPU's named after station wagon's instead of construction equipment?

Yes, the HeavyTruck 150, or the FX SuperFortress B52, that sounds good for AMD.

- - - Updated - - -