PDA

View Full Version : LW 10 or LW 9.5 to LW 9.2

objuan
09-13-2012, 06:13 PM
My employers are old school / cheap, we run LW 9.2 (which frankly I still think is a great package. I'm sure the new versions have some tools I'd like, but I cant say as how I have missed them yet. (Take that society's incessant need to make things that work fine 'better'))

Anyhow, for an upcoming project we are looking at buying (their employers are less cheap) some anatomy models from Turbo squid, which say they are good in LW 9.5 or LW 10.

Is there any particular reason why I shouldn't be able to open an .lwo saved out of 9.5 or 10 in LW 9.2?

I can imagine perhaps some shaders might not translate, but UV maps and geometry should play nice with the old kids, right?

Here is the lady I am most fond of:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/obj-complete-female-anatomy/602822

Areyos Alektor
09-14-2012, 06:33 PM
The transition to 9.6 is free, why not do the update?

BeeVee
09-15-2012, 06:21 AM
As Areyos says. An upgrade to LightWave 9.6.1 is free of charge and should be taken because not only does it introduce new feature it also corrects a lot of bugs since 9.2. Furthermore, there are few if any changes to the LWO specification that would cause problems with the object. However, if it is surfaced then it may be using nodes that are not available in versions of LightWave prior to 9.5.

B

JeffrySG
09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't think the model format has changed at all so you should be ok but you might encounter texture nodes that were not available in older versions if there are textures with your purchased models. But like it was said, why not take advantage of the free updates that are available to your version.