PDA

View Full Version : Open Source tools for graphics and sound

Cryonic
09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Saw an article recently talking about various open source tools for graphics (2D or 3D), Audio, etc... Thought this might be of interest to see what is out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPULcjeYEqQ

kadri
09-14-2012, 03:32 PM
I knew the others but i did not know Hydrogen. Now we are playing together with my son with Hydogen. Thanks :)

Afalk
09-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Very cool little video, there were a couple programs in there I'd not heard of - and will definitely check out! Thanks!

Ryan Roye
09-15-2012, 03:51 AM
I use a lot of the software in this video... most notably:

-Audacity (the de-facto free audio editor. It gets you by until you start to need curve-based editing)
-Gimp (I eventually plan to migrate fully to this after using Paint shop 6.0 for 10+ years... Corel bought it from JASC software and ever since it has been a nightmare of bloatware thus I refused to upgrade)
-Blender ("Add-on" for lightwave)

Not mentioned in the video (also open source):

VirtualDub - Edit image sequences. Extremely fast, light-weight program. You especially want to try this out if your video editor does not support image sequences.
AutoHotKey - I cannot think of a program that has better synergy with other programs than this. Your input devices will become your slaves of production. The programming language, while not the most efficient, is extremely well-documented and easy to grasp.

Cryonic
09-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Glad the video was helpful. There were a couple of ones I hadn't heard of in it as well. Always nice to know what else is out there.

safetyman
09-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Is anyone using Gimp for Windows? Is it stable? How does it compare to Photoshop (can't afford to upgrade anymore)?

CaptainMarlowe
09-15-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm using it on a Mac and on Linux for every task that Pixelmator can't handle. It's very stable to me, the main drawback being a sometimes a bit confusing GUI.

Verlon
09-15-2012, 11:30 PM
I have never had a problem with GiMP stability, but that UI ...what CaptainMarlowe said. In fact, that is the same way I feel about Blender and, to an extent, Inkscape. Is there some rule that makes the UIs of these OS projects so hard to follow?

The new 2.8 GiMP does look interesting, and I suppose I will have to give it another look. Photoshop is the opposite of affordable.

Cryonic
09-15-2012, 11:56 PM
What probably makes them hard to follow is that they are developed by a herd of cats. Each makes something that fits their own idea of how something should work with no forced unifying vision for the UI. Blender did get an update to their UI, but I haven't tried the latest versions.

safetyman
09-18-2012, 06:10 AM
What probably makes them hard to follow is that they are developed by a herd of cats. Each makes something that fits their own idea of how something should work with no forced unifying vision for the UI. Blender did get an update to their UI, but I haven't tried the latest versions.

I think you'll find Blender to be much improved since the 2.49 days. Much more user-friendly. Also, it now has camera matching, improved sculpting, cycles renderer, and more. And the new skin modifier is pretty cool --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezZjV6yfbbE

Ryan Roye
09-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Gimp's UI is okay... but I'll admit I like Paint Shop's way better.

Blender's visual UI isn't my cup of tea at all... so... many... drop-down menus... and....expand/collapse....buttons.... ... ... ...

My guess is that the UI in open source programs is always so bleh because the creators are often making the software to suit a specific production need that they have that a commercial program cannot cater to.

v1u1ant
09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
I am all for opensource software, especially with Adobe products being so expensive now. But i have to say that Blender i find the most unintuitive software i have ever encountered.
It makes me want to slit my wrists. But as its free, i cant complain, so i battle on trying to learn how it can benefit LW's shortfallings, which thankfully are few.

Titus
09-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Is anyone using Gimp for Windows? Is it stable? How does it compare to Photoshop (can't afford to upgrade anymore)?

GIMP is awful (starting with the name), most of the guys working at my studio simply put the program aside. It's a program I use since 1997, so it's no new to me. Everything takes a couple of extra clicks than the same action in PS.

jeric_synergy
09-25-2012, 12:10 AM
OTOH, I'm still happily using a very old version of PShop. Just 'cuz there's newer versions doesn't mean you MUST jump ship.

And yeah: I never could warm up to GIMP. It's got some of the things I hate in LW, like superfluous dialogs and key presses, and that ancient "call and response" rhythm. (I'm hoping that particular UI paradigm will be gone soon in LW.)

GIMP, Lightbitch: contenders for champion of awful freekin' names.