PDA

View Full Version : which dang computer

sebrady
09-13-2012, 11:09 AM
I have been using my 17" Macbook Pro for LW for the past 5 years. Well, the things I do with LW makes my laptop run very hot with a heavily breathing fan. I have gone through 3 power supplies, 1 mother board. I have to get a computer that can handle LW. A desktop, not a laptop. Even though I am a Mac lover and Mac fan, I feel I need to buy a PC. Here is what I am looking at getting from Best Buy. I just dont know if the video card will work OK or if I need to buy a more powerful card to handle the 3D stuff. I think the processor speed and RAM will be adequate. Any thoughts. HP.....Dell.......Gateway........cyberPC......???? ????

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 Desktop & 25" LED Mon $900

Dexter2999
09-13-2012, 12:41 PM
If you are a Mac guy, I'd suggest a Mac Pro tower. They are quality machines and you can put Windows on it if you feel like you need any plug ins that aren't ported over.

I've had a number of Hp's over the years and all of the ones at work have held up for 5+ years. However the one I bought for home use has flaked out on me after just under two years. My friend had a Gateway that lasted him about 8 years but he wasn't using daily or even a power user. So, can't say that is an "apples to apples" comparison.

As for monitors, well the 25" is nice, but if you have the room, for that same $900 you could get two 22" monitors. And that is an amazing amount of screen real estate! (It's what I have at work.)

hrgiger
09-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Don't stress about the video card too much. LightWave doesn't get much use out of a higher end video card over a lower end one. Unless you're doing video editing or something else that requires it, a basic video card will be fine. I would go nvidia all the way. Focus more on a good CPU.