PDA

View Full Version : "Python" in "Add Custom Object" -- implications?

jeric_synergy
09-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Are there any useful implications in that there is a "PYTHON" entry in the "Add Custom Object" dropdown?

I understand that there are Python scripts that generate Custom Objects, but simply "Python", WUWT?

evenflcw
09-12-2012, 06:10 PM
I suppose it, and all it's equivalents for other plugin classes, is there to run python plugins when you don't want to or need to install the plugin. Ie for single/temporary use. For example when just testing stuff out. It could be useful for developers aswell perhaps, but I don't see know how to script (lscript, python or cs) one of these instances to load a particular file, and without that scripting ability it isn't much use for developers. There is also dittos for lscript.

xchrisx
09-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Exactly what Dan said. I have used them on occasion but realistically they aren't all that useful. At work we have a shared plugin config and sometimes when I am scripting something (and I don't want other people to have access to it yet) I will use one of those "Lscript" plugin loaders. That way I can save my scene and reload if necessary and run a plugin locally without having to worry about someone else trying to use a plugin that's not ready yet. So, I assume that is why it is there. Theoretically I could make a bunch of custom item shapes in python and test them before ever adding them to the plugin configs.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the explanation. :thumbsup: