PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Opensubdiv REALLY COOL!!!

xevious2501
09-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Im never one to go all googly eyed over pixar, but this is more than noteworthy, its a game changer for sure and should be seriously considered as an addition within a future revision of LW. For sure every other package will be implementing this code as soon as possible, not to mention LW already has Catmull-Clark subd's so this could even be considered as an update to the existing code (although its far more than just that). and of course is open-source!!

Autodesk preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3L9BOTEtw

source code.
https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/OpenSubdiv

PTEX is another source code from Pixar thats more than note worthy.
The ability to ditch the process of UV mapping altogether is immense.

Theres great moves being done by the LW team.
Majority of the thing ive argued about (and was once bounced off this board for) some-one must have taken notice, Cause the web site looks great
product development is making great strides and LW is far more solid than it was 5 years ago. I would assume some stick-in-the-mud got fired and the new
guy has ushered in the great changes. aside from that, Take a look at Pixars Opensubdiv and Ptex. its awesome to say the least.

mborge
09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Yes indeed PTex is going to be great! Once all the render engines start to incorporate it. CURSE UV's!!!!! Just imagine a world of painting textures in 3D and not worrying about seams and distortions.

probiner
09-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Just imagine a world of painting textures in 3D and not worrying about seams and distortions.
It\'s called 3D-Coat, even with UVs :D

I haven\'t used it much, but Ptex seems killer for those 3D painted subdivided meshes. I think UV will be around for long time, still. They are much more flexible from my perspective.

Lets hope the tech meets LW :)

Cheers

PS: the forum is having a BUG with Apostrophes. I type \' and when I press ok some \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ dashes are added before the Apostrophe. Sometimes only one, sometimes several of them. Is it just me?

probiner
09-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Please ignore previous post. Apostrophes are fine. It was the proxy used to access the forum that was doing it.
Sheesh, you guys update the forum and then if anything strange it happens, suddenly, it's the forum's fault :D Have patience...

Hail
09-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Looks really cool indeed! would be very nice to ve it in lw. might also seem as though blender is already making advances towards in implementing it.
cant wait to ve it in lw.:)

jwiede
09-16-2012, 03:59 AM
Yep, would be quite nice to have, my only concern is whether the existing infrastructure can support everything Pixar OpenSubDiv needs. LW's CC subd issues were caused by more than just "lack of time to address" as I understand it, so I wonder if same issues will impede OpenSubDiv integration? If OpenSubDiv in LW would wind up having the same issues as the existing LW CC implementation, that'd significantly reduce its value IMO.