PDA

View Full Version : Instances floating off ground. Why?

djwaterman
09-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Let me first apologize for posting a basic question here but lately I haven't been getting answers in the other section. I finally had a reason to use instances today, I want to have leaves randomly littered all over the ground. I started playing with the controls and have noticed that when I ramp up the number of instances (set to surface), they don't all sit on the ground plane like the original object, most seem to float just above it in a random way.

I would think this is a basic requirement that they all sit on the ground, a default action, so is it me or am I over looking something?

I've put here the scene if it helps.

For the test the ground plane is one generated inside of Layout, maybe that has something to do with it. Thanks in advance.

djwaterman
09-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Or I just place them all by hand and not bother with instances, I would have thought this feature was working but it seems it needs some refinement, I'll wait for 11.5 to see if they have fixed it yet.

AbstractTech3D
09-12-2012, 03:14 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the instances are taking their position references from the vertices of the original leaf - since the instance Generator is applied to this and you are using 'surface' to distribute them.

I'd generate a ground plane in Modeller with with vertices where you want the leaves to fall, and apply the Instance Generator to that. Not to the leaf which you want to instance. The ground plane need not be visible, of course.

djwaterman
09-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks, I couldn't find any tutorials on how to set it up, the two I found were either silent or in foreign language. I'll try this out when I get home, but in the end I just placed them all by hand. However I'll want to add grass so I'll try it then.