PDA

View Full Version : Growing geometry

digitalimagery
09-11-2012, 08:07 AM
My title may be confusing but I wasn't sure what to call what I'm trying to do. If I wanted to animate an arrow to show growth in the stock market (see attached) what is the method? I know you animate a matte and apply it to the surface to reveal geometry if you're animating a ribbon. How would you have a solid arrow head move along the geometric path of it's tail and appear as one solid growing model?

Thanks
DI

nickdigital
09-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Morph through bones trick or use dpkit's spline deformer.

digitalimagery
09-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks. Based on what I saw on the youtube video this is how it is done in Electric Image (deformation). Is dpkit's spline deformer Mac compatible?

nickdigital
09-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Should be, I know mac builds get compiled a bit later than the 32bit ones.

raw-m
09-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks. Based on what I saw on the youtube video this is how it is done in Electric Image (deformation). Is dpkit's spline deformer Mac compatible?

Not yet, waiting patiently!

digitalimagery
09-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Not yet, waiting patiently!

Downloaded it yesterday, installed it and it does appear in my Node Editor list. Haven't actually used it but everything suggests it will work.

Got it here:http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

Click Download link - upper Left

DI

Ztreem
09-12-2012, 04:31 PM
This is easily done with the built in spline deformer.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
This is easily done with the built in spline deformer.
?? Name? Location?

Ztreem
09-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Object properties - deform tab - add displacement - spline control.

Steps
1. Load object
2. Add a bone (more bones if you want more control)
3. Rest bone(s)
4. Add spline control
5. Use the spline control tool under modify tab and drag the control points so that the spline reflects the desired path of the object
6. Drag the bone in X, Y or Z axis (depending of your setup) the object will now deform and follow the path

Quick, easy and native.

- - - Updated - - -

Object properties - deform tab - add displacement - spline control.

Steps
1. Load object
2. Add a bone (more bones if you want more control)
3. Rest bone(s)
4. Add spline control
5. Use the spline control tool under modify tab and drag the control points so that the spline reflects the desired path of the object
6. Drag the bone in X, Y or Z axis (depending of your setup) the object will now deform and follow the path

Quick, easy and native.

digitalimagery
09-13-2012, 07:58 AM
?? Name? Location?

For what? Link was in previous message. What am I missing?

DI

digitalimagery
09-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Thank you Ztreem.

DI

jeric_synergy
09-13-2012, 08:09 AM
"Built in", not DPont. Msg #7. "Built-in" means "NewTek supplied" to me.

digitalimagery
09-13-2012, 08:34 AM
"Built in", not DPont. Msg #7. "Built-in" means "NewTek supplied" to me.

Got it.

DI

jeric_synergy
09-14-2012, 12:44 AM
IIRC, Spline Control has some major limitations, from watching a presentation on YouTube. For one thing, can the spline nodes be animated?

erikals
09-14-2012, 04:59 AM
in LW > not as far as i know.

in DP, yep > http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/nodes/VectorCast.html#SplineDeformer

raw-m
09-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi, I've checked the latest DP kit, digitalimagery. No Spline Deform for Mac. Have you tried it on a Mac, then?

jeric_synergy
09-14-2012, 08:27 AM
IIRC, once you set the axis, you're pretty much stuck w/it.

Safe to say that DPSD is more flexible, although the simplicity of Spline Control might make it the preferred tool in simple rigs.

digitalimagery
09-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi, I've checked the latest DP kit, digitalimagery. No Spline Deform for Mac. Have you tried it on a Mac, then?

Well this is what I downloaded (attached) but you're right, even though the kit installs, when going to the menu in the Node editor I don't see a specific "Spline Deformer" just a "Deformer." To answer your question no I haven't used it. I downloaded it for an project I hoped to use it in. Guess that idea is out the window. I do have Parallels on the mac so I may have to go that route.

Sorry to get your hopes up.

DI

Areyos Alektor
09-16-2012, 05:10 PM
In Spline Control you can move nodes, just remember to activate SplineControl in "Modify" / "Tools".

To scale it's possible to use a Weight Map.

digitalimagery
09-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Thank you. I've just now started to "try" and experiment. I loaded the DP Kit on the Mac LW APP (which doesn't offer the Spline Deformer) in the Plug in Dir. and see it in the Node editor. Putting it in the same location on the PC doesn't show up. Can anyone tell me where to put the DP kit on the PC in LW 9.0 (i know I know - I primarily work on the Mac and have 10.0)? I've tried everything I can think of and don't see anything in the documentation.

Thank you
DI

In Spline Control you can move nodes, just remember to activate SplineControl in "Modify" / "Tools".

To scale it's possible to use a Weight Map.

Areyos Alektor
09-19-2012, 03:05 PM
V9.0 or v9.6? Because I don't think Spline Deformer exists for V9.0

The location doesn't matter, it can be on the root (or a directory). In v9.6 go to the "Layout", "Utilities" tab / "Plugins" / "Add Plugins" and indicate the file : DP_Kit_x64.p (or DP_Kit_x32 . p). Go to the "Displacement Node Editor" for use it.

jeric_synergy
09-20-2012, 01:45 AM
What AA said: Plugins can be ANYWHERE on your machine, although certainly some places make more sense than others.

Personally, I create a directory in the Plugins folder named "3rd Party Plugins", and subdirectories with the producer's name. This make is a LOT easier to migrate to the next upgrade. I also keep the dox right with the plugins.

- - - Updated - - -

What AA said: Plugins can be ANYWHERE on your machine, although certainly some places make more sense than others.

Personally, I create a directory in the Plugins folder named "3rd Party Plugins", and subdirectories with the producer's name. This make is a LOT easier to migrate to the next upgrade. I also keep the dox right with the plugins.

raw-m
09-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Keep them in a folder on your Dropbox. Saves having to remember what you've updated, or to add new ones, if you use multiple computers!

evolross
11-01-2012, 03:40 PM
I have a situation where I need to grow a piece of a pie graph. A slice of the pie goes from say 15% to 45%. I'm racking my brain on how to do this. A morph map doesn't seem to work because the points move linearly and it doesn't retain the circular "pie slice" shape as it animates. I'm having trouble with Layout's deformers as well... any ideas?

Imagine a piece of this image needs to grow, while the others reduce.

digitalimagery
11-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I see your dilemma and I never did get my animation working properly. The closest thing suggested was a plugin that was PC only. This would "seem" to be such a simple animation but I have no clue how you'd do this. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

evolross
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I think I found an answer here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?128783-Free-Universal-Pie-Chart-scene-template

jeric_synergy
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Another way to do it is make the pie sections have an interior wall every degree or so, and use animated clipmaps to reveal.

:D

raw-m
11-02-2012, 02:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwNslfhaUwo