PDA

View Full Version : new forum - search not giving results?

nikfaulkner
09-11-2012, 01:31 AM
not sure if this has been mentioned in the giant "new forum look" thread but...

it may just be me but i don't seem to be getting very accurate or as many results when i use search

example, i was trying to find a thread mentioning the stars in pixars latest short "la luna",
search for luna...cant find it
search for la luna...cant find it
search for pixar...cant find it

ended up searching google and found it straight away

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129637

like i said may just be me

n

ShadowMystic
09-11-2012, 02:22 AM
You're not the only one.

erikals
09-11-2012, 03:59 AM
yep, it also states that robpowers3d's latest post was in 2005, so something is wrong...

Ryan Roye
09-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Rob's time machine would be a lot cooler if it went to the 80's.

wesleycorgi
09-11-2012, 05:21 AM
I hope we will get back the option to receive results in "post" vs thread. Since some threads go up to dozens of pages, it is hard to isolate the specific term you are querying.

SBowie
09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
It's still there - near the bottom of the advanced search pane.

evenflcw
09-11-2012, 07:35 AM
I have no problem finding any of the above stated searchwords... but I'm also changing the Additional Options\Find Posts\"Your Last Visit" to "Any Date" before I do any searches. If you didn't do the same I'm not surprised you couldn't find anything. I've bitched about the non-standard default value for that field plenty of times and it has fell on deaf ears every time, unfortunately. It's been like this since the last major forum upgrade. I obviously know about it so search works for me (although I'm slightly annoyed every time having to do the extra step, especially when I forget to initially), but I wonder how many just gave up trying. Could we get this fixed now?

SBowie
09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
I have no problem finding any of the above stated searchwords... but I'm also changing the Additional Options\Find Posts\"Your Last Visit" to "Any Date" before I do any searches.That is the default when I pull up advanced search. Could it be something in your personal config options?

evenflcw
09-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Nope. Looked through all my Settings on this forum and found no way to change that. But perhaps it is just me for some odd reason.
Could somebody who isn't a moderator check what their default value is for that option?

EDIT: Nevermind!!! In the search page there is now... and option at the bottom to save, or clear, "search preferences". Clearing that has fixed MY issue it seems. I have no clue if and how I was able to change that since waaaaay back. Cause I always had this trouble. Sorry Steve. My bad I guess. All this time!? *facepalm*. Was the search prefs always there (in the previous forum aswell)?

SBowie
09-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Was the search prefs always there (in the previous forum aswell)?I really couldn't say. If we run into another one of thos 'And noowwww, for your enjoyment, here's the old forum again (locked)!' moments, I'll check. :p

nikfaulkner
09-22-2012, 11:46 PM
ok bringing this up again.

THIS IS STILL BROKEN FOR ME, anyone else??????

no matter what my settings are pretty much any search only brings up really old results (from 2005 or earlier) i've tried different machines\browsers and its the same.

surely even if you can change a setting somewhere the default should be to show the most recent posts?

its getting to the stage where i feel i cant find any information. if this i just me fine, but if its a wider issue surely this could be very damaging to the community (seeing as this is pretty much the only heavily active lightwave forum now)

nikfaulkner
09-22-2012, 11:50 PM
edit- grrrrrrrrr suprisingly ANOTHER DOUBLE POST

no matter what my settings are pretty much any search only brings up really old results (from 2005 or earlier) i've tried different machines\browsers and its the same.

surely even if you can change a setting somewhere the default should be to show the most recent posts?

its getting to the stage where i feel i cant find any information. if this i just me fine, but if its a wider issue surely this could be very damaging to the community (seeing as this is pretty much the only heavily active lightwave forum now)

SaleVonGeist
09-23-2012, 04:19 AM
edit- grrrrrrrrr suprisingly ANOTHER DOUBLE POST

Don't know if it's any comfort, but same behavior here. I tried few different settings in "advanced search" but without luck. In MHO search is one of the most important part of any forum, and in this state it's really crazy/useless. I really hope it's only transitional issue and that we'll see old forum functionality soon.

adrian
09-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Yep, rubbish here too - each search I do I may get one or two recent posts then it's back to 2003, 2004, 2005.... useless.

VermilionCat
10-09-2012, 07:17 AM
So is this gonna be fixed?

SBowie
10-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Speaking just for myself, I certainly hope so, and preferably before the Mayan calendar runs out (with all that might entail for those with lively imaginations) ... but the real reason for my post is to mention that, for the time being, I'm resorting to using Google to search for threads. Some others might find it helpful too. Sucks, but it is what it is.

-EsHrA-
10-09-2012, 07:35 AM
same here.

erikals
10-09-2012, 08:52 AM
it must be fixed, eventually...

evolross
01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Here it is almost February 2013 and the search bug still isn't fixed! :mad: Every search I do returns a page of results from 2012, 2011, then it omits every year until 2006! This is crazy and is rendering the forum useless. This forum has always been a treasure trove of information for me and many others. Say what you want about Lightwave getting it wrong, but this forum was always AWESOME. Now I can't even find certain threads that I know exist! This is critical. Much more than not getting the features we want or having gripes about Lightwave's direction... at least we still know that we can do certain things in Lightwave using node setups and the help/reference material from the amazing forum community.

This seems like the last straw... the one that's breaking this camel's back. It feels like it's finally, finally, finally time to start seriously considering another 3D program. Not only has Newtek's direction with Lightwave been questionable, now the forum is completely messed up. Guess I'll give Google a shot for the time being.

Haven't they looked at the stats of forum usage since they've done this upgrade? It has to be way down. I've love to see the data on this.

erikals
01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
no comment.
wait, i just commented :P

agree, they really need to fix it.

OnlineRender
01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
[ searchwhatever site:forums.newtek.com ] google is your friend

erikals
01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
that's what i usually do, still, not quite the same...

adk
01-23-2013, 02:24 PM
I rarely have a rant about NT but this issue irks me a lot. It's 2013 and still I can not find threads that I know are there. Sorry but Google is not the answer either as it's search functionality is nothing like the old forums. Simple example ... if you remember who started a thread you'd see all their posts & could quickly narrow it down. Same with your own posts & same with threads you or others posted into. All that is borked now. Whoever is working on it can't seem to fix it. To be honest I don't think it's even being looked at anymore as I see no changes in the way search works. Would be great to hear from someone at NT about this. Where's the Sheriff?

SBowie
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Over there in the corner banging his head on the wall. :bangwall:

(I also rely on search a lot, and am frequently reminded each day that it is 0x:43 o'clock.)

adk
01-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks Steve :) at least we know someone is on the job. Should we FBugz this ? :D:D:D

SBowie
01-23-2013, 05:31 PM
I was thinking more about a dark night, torches, pitchforks ... :p

erikals
01-23-2013, 09:53 PM
it's annoying also because it at times makes it impossible to help other people...

Q: hey, how can i do this?
A: ah, i remember that, it was in that thread posted some years a go. one sec, i'll dig it up.
A: uh, eh, sorry, can't find it...

:compbeati

adk
01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
it's annoying also because it at times makes it impossible to help other people...

Q: hey, how can i do this?
A: ah, i remember that, it was in that thread posted some years a go. one sec, i'll dig it up.
A: uh, eh, sorry, can't find it...

:compbeati

That's pretty much sums up where most of my gripe comes from, trying to refer someone to something that's been posted.
If I have a spare few minutes I'm happy to hunt it down & the old forums made that pretty painless. These days tho I feel like I need to be Columbo.

erikals
01-23-2013, 11:12 PM

OnlineRender
01-24-2013, 12:10 AM
110567 :)

erikals
01-24-2013, 12:17 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWjDYz2ldN0#t=0m16s

Oedo 808
01-24-2013, 01:18 AM

Hehe, now I'll make use of this (http://nooooooooooooooo.com/) when it comes near to a quarter to on the NT forums.

erikals
01-24-2013, 01:34 AM
LoL, please do... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/biggrin.gif

DrStrik9
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Yes, yes, er, NOOOOO! :D

Mr Rid
01-24-2013, 04:15 PM
I have several problems since the new forum format- yeah, the search is funky. And 'submit' often hangs the whole NT site for several minutes and is inaccessible. Or it refuses to submit (no error, it just stays on the same reply page) and I just have to try again later. Or it appears to not submit, so I click again and again, but then I see that it triple posts.

Cryonic
01-24-2013, 10:29 PM
I have several problems since the new forum format- yeah, the search is funky. And 'submit' often hangs the whole NT site for several minutes and is inaccessible. Or it refuses to submit (no error, it just stays on the same reply page) and I just have to try again later. Or it appears to not submit, so I click again and again, but then I see that it triple posts.

That's probably because you did something on the forums somewhere between the 43rd - 45th minute of the hour. The site hangs, very reliably, at that same time each hour.

DrStrik9
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
I've noticed that whenever I'm thinking of reading the NT Forums, I first look at the clock ...

erikals
01-25-2013, 02:49 AM
when the forums locks, i look at the clock... same-same...

Thomas Leitner
03-14-2013, 02:27 AM
I donīt know if itīs mentioned anywhere: the "New Posts" menu item brings up new posts but not all new post only a extract. useless...
ciao
Thomas

erikals
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
it's strange they haven't fixed it.

actually, gotta type this fast. server is about to lock..... !!!

Ma3rk
04-13-2013, 09:25 AM
I posted a question several weeks ago about the Search function and never got any reply.

Basically, why did they remove the Boolean functions AND, OR, and NOT?

For example, you used to be able to enter terms such as Motion AND Vectors, the AND being a Boolean function of course, and your results would have both of those items in the results, not just one or the other as is the case now.

This pretty well makes searching useless of course as there's so much chaff in the results, and really hobbles the purpose of a forum.

Nor does there appear to be an administrator to contact so we continue to get threads like this ad nauseum!

M.

Ma3rk
04-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Ulp! Another glitch where an error message caused a double posting!

lertola2
04-17-2013, 03:38 PM
I posted a question several weeks ago about the Search function and never got any reply.

Basically, why did they remove the Boolean functions AND, OR, and NOT?

For example, you used to be able to enter terms such as Motion AND Vectors, the AND being a Boolean function of course, and your results would have both of those items in the results, not just one or the other as is the case now.

This pretty well makes searching useless of course as there's so much chaff in the results, and really hobbles the purpose of a forum.

Nor does there appear to be an administrator to contact so we continue to get threads like this ad nauseum!

M.

Yes you are correct. The forum search has been crippled and it is a disaster. Almost all of the collective knowledge of the Lightwave community is hidden. I used to be able to find all of my posts. Now when I look at my activity page I see only 20 or so out of nearly 500. When I search for threads that I know exist I can not find them. Could it be that during the transition to the new forum system old posts were lost? Or is it that just that the new forum system has not been set up properly to index and display old posts? I had hoped that the the search problem was just a glitch while the new forum system was being set up. But it has persisted so long that I am losing hope that it will ever be fixed.

evolross
04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
They're not lost. If you Google "forums.newtek.com YOUR SUBJECT" Google will find the posts. It's just that the forum can't. :cry: Yeah, it's upsetting that these can't be found in the forum and Newtek can't be bothered to fix it.

adk
04-18-2013, 11:03 PM
I'd still like to know if someone at NT is looking into this or if they've given up ? We're over a 1/3 of a year on and it's as borked as it ever was :bangwall: :screwy:
We go the dreaded witching hour bug fixed & the image mouse over sorted too, time to move onto the stuff that matters I reckon !

erikals
04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
i think it has been 6 months now... :/

Digital Hermit
06-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Ok this seems like the thread to ask... anyone else having problems uploading pictures? I go to manage attachments and use the add files and it just sits there with the little icon spinning?

jwiede
07-04-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd still like to know if someone at NT is looking into this or if they've given up ?
Given how long this state has persisted, if someone is actively looking at it, based on lack of progress it's probably time to replace them with someone else. If someone isn't actively looking at it, it's time to replace the IT manager with someone else.

Hail
07-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Given how long this state has persisted, if someone is actively looking at it, based on lack of progress it's probably time to replace them with someone else. If someone isn't actively looking at it, it's time to replace the IT manager with someone else.
+1!
This has gone on for way too long to be acceptable, perhaps its time to roll some heads!