PDA

View Full Version : EXTRA Wishlist for LW 11.5

Samus
09-10-2012, 10:03 AM
EXTRA Wishlist for LW 11.5!!

SO lw 11.5 announced this last siggraph is due for Q4 of this year But few little tools are lacking that would'nt be so complex to add such AS :

- A layering system in layout A la MAya , XSI or just like LAyerMC

Please add your Wishlist by adding to this post!

Thanks !!

BeeVee
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
But few little tools are lacking that would'nt be so complex to add such AS...

Little?! :screwy: :)

B

geo_n
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Mocap retargetting support since they already have a base biped in genoma. Live retargetting in lw 12.

UnCommonGrafx
09-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Keytrak used to have this, and more.
The sdk would allow for it.

Sure would be nice.

... so would just ONE nodal window.

silviotoledo
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
:)

OFF
09-11-2012, 08:11 PM
performance!

stevenpalomino
09-11-2012, 10:56 PM
please please PLEASE add progressive render like FPrime for VPR! That'd end all my needs to use FPrime! And also a button to make VPR come out in a pop-up window!!!

jeric_synergy
09-12-2012, 12:56 AM
More extensive commenting in the supplied scripts. As in, LOTS AND LOTS of comments. @^@

FULL support of the SDK in the Python, ummm, API(?). Anyway, anything C/C++ can do, Python should be able to do. (That's a wish, not a statement of fact.)

Snosrap
09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
please please PLEASE add progressive render like FPrime for VPR! That'd end all my needs to use FPrime! Why not create VPR previews? They render fast and you can get them into your compositor/editor and do your "thing" and replace with full on renders as they get finished.

mattc
09-12-2012, 10:57 PM
More extensive commenting in the supplied scripts. As in, LOTS AND LOTS of comments. @^@

FULL support of the SDK in the Python, ummm, API(?). Anyway, anything C/C++ can do, Python should be able to do. (That's a wish, not a statement of fact.)

Isn't that how the python interface was generated? Via SWIG?

AlexxelA
09-13-2012, 07:37 AM
render pass managment
hierarchy view in each menu (same view like in scene editor)!!!!
and no jumbling objects up after cloning.
instances of instances

geo_n
09-14-2012, 02:04 AM
The spline IK promised on the siggraph videos.

Lewis
09-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Why not create VPR previews? They render fast and you can get them into your compositor/editor and do your "thing" and replace with full on renders as they get finished.

Few reasons:

1. VPR don't care for camera/lense settings
2. VPR can't handle interiors or night renders i.e. way way too slow or even just stuck and never refreshes till end
3. DRAFT mode cuts corners (kills bounces) and withot draft it's slow to be even considered.
4. Preview gets stored into memory so you can fillout memory pretty fast on long renders

To make long story short Fprime progressive rendering/saving is massive boost to productivity 'coz you can render up to latest hour of deadline and still work on file sin Composting program so you'll have best quality it reaches till then and all ready in same time :).

MAUROCOR
09-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Give us Vector Displacement, please!

jburford
09-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Seriously do not think any changes wish list is on the order for 11.5. Perhaps 12, but . . . . oh well, just my 2 (euro) cents.

Z_Teleport
09-16-2012, 10:37 AM
A way to set the font size in the Modeler menus

erikals
09-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Give us Vector Displacement, please!

check the DPont plugin, generating it however might be more problematic.

geo_n
09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
A way to set the font size in the Modeler menus
On my desktop the layout switch -f"[email protected]" affects even modeller font size. On my laptop it doesn't work. I can't see the lw 10-11 buttons so I use lw 9 modeller. This -f is hit and miss method. So it would be great to have this as a real option.

drako
09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
my list for lw11.5
please Rob take the ex XSI developpers of AutoDesk in Lightwave team........just for going 12 steps beyond our lovely software.....thanks...

Caveboy
09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
How about Lattice Deformers? That would be cool!

jwiede
09-17-2012, 03:19 PM
please please PLEASE add progressive render like FPrime for VPR! That'd end all my needs to use FPrime! And also a button to make VPR come out in a pop-up window!!!
Yes please, dear sweet Spaghetti Monster over us all, customers have been asking for this since before LW10's release, please finally make it so! If we can only have one of those, I cast my vote for VPR in its own window -- we shouldn't be forced to sacrifice a viewport just to see a VPR preview while working.

roctavian
09-17-2012, 04:18 PM
For me, a correct edge padding for the baking camera will do.
This will be more than enough for me for a 11.5 release.

jwiede
09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
For me, a correct edge padding for the baking camera will do.
This will be more than enough for me for a 11.5 release.
That'd certainly be a nice plus as well!

erikals
09-17-2012, 07:01 PM
yep, there is a plugin out there that fixes it though, can't remember the name atm.

raw-m
09-18-2012, 04:10 AM
I find it shocking that when I make certain tweaks that I have to give the timeline a nudge to see it update. This for me would be a priority fix!

gerry_g
09-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Micro poly displacement

erikals
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
yeah, p.s. did you try DPonts?

jeric_synergy
09-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I find it shocking that when I make certain tweaks that I have to give the timeline a nudge to see it update. This for me would be a priority fix!
+1

That necessity totally kills any interactivity. <|^( :devil:

Hail
09-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Please fix the God for saken undo:devil:

roctavian
09-19-2012, 10:26 AM
yep, there is a plugin out there that fixes it though, can't remember the name atm.

Please taker a look here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130656-Lightwave-radiosity-amp-texture-baking

cyroz
09-22-2012, 02:09 AM
More interactivity
Some rendering improvement (bucket, distributed, mpd, passes...)
global nodal system (where everything could be controlled, from motion to shader....) whith the ability to instance nodes, and to create groups (i know there's a plug....)
A complete redesign of the motion mixer, wich was a great addition back in the days, but never been improved...

BeeVee
09-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Hey everyone that has posted on this thread. You are all asking for massive changes before the end of this year. For a free update. I fully support some of the goals, but not in such a short timescale, nor would I expect them all to be free updates.

B

jwiede
09-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey everyone that has posted on this thread. You are all asking for massive changes before the end of this year. For a free update. I fully support some of the goals, but not in such a short timescale, nor would I expect them all to be free updates.
Is allowing VPR to be in a separate window, instead of taking up a viewport (a very scarce resource), really such a major change? It doesn't seem like it should be, and people have been asking for it since VPR first appeared (in CORE). Limited to camera-view previews, it wouldn't even need the special nav input handling stuff. It'd essentially just be a VPR-based replacement for Viper. Even dropping viewport-dependent functionality like OGL overlay mode would be acceptable, IMO, if that's what makes implementation so complex as is.

roctavian
09-22-2012, 07:11 AM

B

What about this? A texture bake manager.
Instead of the actual surface baking camera interface, a more generous area where you can manage all your baking settings in one view.
And of course, where you would be able to bake all the textures with one click after the setup is done. Something like Sensei`s Batch Baking Camera.

We already have a few camera settings available in Scene editor.
Using the same interface the Scene Editor has, adding all the surface camera settings, having all the output options in the same window, workflow wise, I think will really help. Also, having inside all the render flag for all the scene objects, that will be the only window you need to open.
Maybe adding the Photoshop PSD Export as a separate tab will give you more options?

In my opinion this might be a very strong tool and a great time saver, especially for complex/big scenes.
If not for 11.5, maybe LW12?

A Scene Editor screencapture and a bake manager mock-up I`ve done some time ago.

jwiede
09-22-2012, 07:15 AM
The "VPR in viewport" is such a pain point, because often I'll be working on "fine positioning" in quad view (persp, top, front, right) with the perspective view in a particularly tricky angle (usually as a sort of pseudo-construction-plane) that helps me control alignment/positioning. At that point, if I want to see what the camera sees, I'm forced to temporarily switch a viewport to a camera view (for VPR), at which point I've had to give up access to one of my needed alignment/positioning views. Effectively it means I have to switch some viewport back and forth from camera view while working, which gets annoying (esp. if VPR takes a while to usefully converge, which is pretty common).

In the past, I didn't have this issue with either Fprime or Viper, because neither required a viewport to show me the camera view. I'd really like to have that functionality back again, using VPR.

jwiede
09-22-2012, 07:18 AM
What about this? A texture bake manager.
In my opinion this might be a very strong tool and a great time saver, especially for complex/big scenes.
If not for 11.5, maybe LW12?
Such a tool would definitely be something I'd want and use. That said, while it might be possible for LW12, I don't see it happening in time for LW11.5.

roctavian
09-22-2012, 07:31 AM
I`m not a programmer, so it`s a lot easier for me to ask. :)
If it`s going to be for LW12, I would like to have included another feature: after the texture baking is done, to automatically clone the low poly objects in a predefined folder, map the textures on the cloned low polys and load them in a new scene.
Even for inspecting the freshly baked textures it`ll be a great time saver.

cyroz
09-23-2012, 01:11 AM

B

You're right Ben, maybe a bit too much for a .5 free update, but maybe for 12....

jeric_synergy
09-23-2012, 02:25 PM
OK, some realistic requests for 11.5:

An exhaustive set of SCENES that clearly demonstrate new features' capabilities, from 11.0+.
A set of scenes that demonstrate under-utilized or misunderstood features, for all versions.
Explanations of some of the more arcane stuff (all that MDD and GeoCache* stuff).
More commenting in the script examples.
Online documentation of script features, that users can add to/correct.
Cookbook examples for scripts (i.e. tinkertoy script chunks).
A non-programmer guide to using Python in LightWave.
New config files for menus in both Layout and Modeler.

*I think I got that wrong, but whatevs....

mattc
09-23-2012, 06:05 PM
As increases in scope have always lead to large delays in the past, you sure you want to start adding this that and the other....

I mean, does NT have the resources to cope with an increase in scope, can it justify the additional cost of doing so. Etc.

jeric_synergy
09-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes: there's already PLENTY of goodies that we've been shown for 11.5.

Note how my requests above are educational in nature: If I learned how to use everything that's been added since 10.0, I count it a big win.

DogBoy
09-24-2012, 04:22 AM
OK, some realistic requests for 11.5:

lots of content
lots of content
lots of content
More commenting in the script examples.
lots of content
lots of content
f'reals?
New config files for menus in both Layout and Modeler.

What makes any but the last realistic in 11.5?
I'm guessing beevee has enough work going just trying to play catch up on the documentation, let alone making an online system.
Plus you want a whole bunch of new content too?

Eric, you have a very odd idea of realistic.

*I think I got that wrong, but whatevs....[/QUOTE]

erikals
09-24-2012, 05:35 AM
i don't think anyone here expects this for 11.5...(?) that's certainly unrealistic :]
i see it more as a "feature request" thread...

DogBoy
09-24-2012, 08:06 AM
i don't think anyone here expects this for 11.5...(?) that's certainly unrealistic :]
i see it more as a "feature request" thread...

well with a thread title like EXTRA Wishlist for LW 11.5 and people talking about "(un)realistic requests for 11.5" forgive me for misunderstanding :D

jeric_synergy
09-24-2012, 08:20 AM
What makes any but the last realistic in 11.5?
You can take a whack at it yourself: what would you think realistic?

What I'm not asking for is research, development, and CODING. That's what makes it more realistic than the pie in the sky requests above it. And some of that content already exists. One thing: NewTek could include all their test suites and benchmarking scenes.

And as for online systems: I'm thinking the Wikipedia guys have already addressed that system building. (And if it had happened when I first suggested it, it'd be like seven years in development.)

But I will give you #7: that's perhaps a contradiction in terms. But something lower-level and beginner, certainly. Have you tried the new scripting? The dox are in a lamentable state. Documents that should be provided we're told to generate ourselves. Wasted effort that just slows down would-be scripters. When Jen is having issues finding stuff, it's not just my problem.

FEATURE wise i think we're

A)well covered, in fact, BLESSED to be getting the features coming in 11.5, and
B) frozen.

Being helped to learn use those features, not so much. BeeVee has more than enough on his plate: hire, recruit, and organize more education efforts is the essence of my suggestion. That department has always appeared to be understaffed.

DogBoy
09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
You can take a whack at it yourself: what would you think realistic?

I don't think any of this is realistic. They have already set out their stall on what features they are going to put in and we're all jumping in and asking for even more. It isn't realistic. Maybe some of this will get into 12 or later. Maybe. Don't get me wrong, feature requests are cool, but signal to noise on threads like this, means it is very hard to gauge what features people actually want. I'd be happy to have what is offered by Xmas.

What I'm not asking for is research, development, and CODING. That's what makes it more realistic than the pie in the sky requests above it. And some of that content already exists. Does it? It still takes considerable time, and who is gonna do all this content? Though I agree it would be good to have this, if it has a knock on effect on how much work the devs can do, then I'd ask it not happen now. Are you gonna ask that Lino drops his workload to do this? or Matt or Ben?

And as for online systems: I'm thinking the Wikipedia guys have already addressed that system building. (And if it had happened when I first suggested it, it'd be like seven years in development.)

I'm sorry, the user created LightWiki isn't good enough for you? In the long years you have been suggesting this, did you ever consider adding to that? If you want a user-updated documentation system, pull your finger out and help get it going.

BeeVee has more than enough on his plate: hire, recruit, and organize more education efforts is the essence of my suggestion. That department has always appeared to be understaffed.
I agree, but it is hard to find good educators/writers who know the software well. Even if they had them, it will still take time to get them upto speed on how NT operates. So, again, not likely for 11.5.

jeric_synergy
09-24-2012, 02:17 PM
No, the user created LightWIKI, which is excellent for what it IS, a sorta magazine and tutorial archive, is not the reference site I'd care to donate my efforts to. I've outlined what I think would work many times, and LightWIKI is not that.

I'm reasonably sure that NewTek could rustle up some knowledgeable writers, if they were willing to pay them reasonable rates. I've heard from one who worked on NewTek ref. materials in the past, and the rates were ridiculously low. I'll believe this is a problem when I see them posting ads here in the classified section.

BeeVee doesn't have to do it all: Who says that the manual writer has to be the same staffer who's supervising the online evolving crowd-sourced docs?

NewTek should allocate more re$ources to documentation, pure and simple. They should also quit using a static model of documentation in the 21st Century.

I do think it's absolutely ridiculous that as soon as a revision comes out, people start f*cking clamoring for the next one.

jeric_synergy
09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Here's a realistic wish: fix the damn content directories.

I really hate that when I want to save a LWM background file, I'm sent god-knows-where. Why not the content directory? At least that would be closer than almost any other place I get sent to when I use that feature.

DogBoy
09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
No, the user created LightWIKI, which is excellent for what it IS, a sorta magazine and tutorial archive, is not the reference site I'd care to donate my efforts to. I've outlined what I think would work many times, and LightWIKI is not that.

It has always had a reference manual section (a pretty good one if memory serves) which users wrote up to cover the deficiencies of the manuals, and looking now it looks like Steph is trying to get that back. My guess is Steph has the "sorta magazine and tutorial archive" look because it looks visually interesting. It (the reference area) was pretty much what you have been asking for.

Here is the nodes section: http://web.archive.org/web/20090630005358/http://www.lightwiki.com/Category:Nodes

- - - Updated - - -

It has always had a reference manual section (a pretty good one if memory serves) which users wrote up to cover the deficiencies of the manuals, and looking now it looks like Steph is trying to get that back. My guess is Steph has the "sorta magazine and tutorial archive" look because it looks visually interesting. It (the reference area) was pretty much what you have been asking for.

Here is the nodes section:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090630005358/http://www.lightwiki.com/Category:Nodes

BeeVee
09-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Don't even have to go to the Wayback Machine, all is still on lightwiki.net:

http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Category:Nodes

And here is the abortive start to the user manual. Mike Green did the most work on it:

http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Manual

B

OnlineRender
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Don't even have to go to the Wayback Machine, all is still on lightwiki.net:

http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Category:Nodes

And here is the abortive start to the user manual. Mike Green did the most work on it:

http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Manual

B

I really want that part to have way more input and focus ,it really needs it ... I just cant write for toffee

OnlineRender
09-24-2012, 06:31 PM
No, the user created LightWIKI, which is excellent for what it IS, a sorta magazine and tutorial archive, is not the reference site

http://youtu.be/Qw9oX-kZ_9k

From January : 6000+ Downloads Served , over 120GB of Data transferred , Over 4 Million Hits , Unique Visitors 103,000 , Total Pages Accessed 780,038, Total Tutorials over 200 hours {easy}, as for the reference part I think you may have missinterpeted the wiki aspect .

Unified Login ... FOR ALL ASPECTS INCLUDING WIKI ,only site to do that because we wrote the plugin.
New MediaWiki , given to us by the same people who developed the Blender Skin...
3DWorld Marketing Team produce personalized banners for the tutorial section" thanks again"

Version 2.0
Designed from Ground up "again"
Submit Articles , Tutorials , Content
WebGL
CGNETWORK" beats any forum in terms of code , functionality and fun"
ASSET STORE " every user has there own shop,including realtime shop statistics so you know exactly who and what you have sold! "
LiveChat
Forum Upgrades
NoticeBoards
WaversWorld
Improved Speed and server reliability
Full time blogger AKA the FANBOY ..."pretty good actually"
and other stuff I just cant remember at 2am

I'd care to donate my efforts to. I've outlined what I think would work many times, and LightWIKI is not that.

I am sad to hear that however each to there own, but please again outline what you think would work so I can maybe implement it before I launch 2.0 and I would like to hear your thoughts on exactly what LightWiki is ?

raw-m
10-06-2012, 07:02 AM
.....and a native Time node :D

SAHiN
10-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Pose preset system. To save poses and to reapply them (Yes I know IK Booster does that, but we need them in preset shelves and without using IK Booster. When we have more than 4 characters in the scene IK booster starts messing around a lot.)
When using mocap files pose presets for fingers etc. can become real handy during production.

erikals
10-06-2012, 05:31 PM
+2

a cheap solution might be TA poseworks.
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=f39d9380

(maybe NT could acquire it ?)

SAHiN
10-06-2012, 05:35 PM
+2

a cheap solution might be TA poseworks.
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=f39d9380

(maybe NT could acquire it ?)

Thanks for that but that plug in is no where to be found.
Link comes up with errors... :(

erikals
10-06-2012, 06:11 PM
might just be temporary, was up not too long ago...

one of the reasons it would be good to require it i guess :]

SAHiN
10-06-2012, 06:19 PM
might just be temporary, was up not too long ago...

one of the reasons it would be good to require it i guess :]

I love Tim's plug ins. I have TAFA and it saves my life day in day out. I will keep on checking the site for Poseworks. Thanks :)

Hail
11-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Posted in a wrong thread.
It seems I'm beginning to get too old for this :D

50one
11-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Would be great to see it released on 21st of Dec, with the words "The end of Maya(n calendar) release";)

Phil
11-15-2012, 02:01 PM

Late to the discussion, but it's a wiki. By definition, it's what the contributors make of it. If no-one opts to scratch their own itch, the result is pretty much a given. I'm also a bit confused - on one hand, you want crowd-sourced documentation, but on the other you want contributors to be paid to write. How does that work?