PDA

View Full Version : Uprading to LW 11.

Gazlw
09-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading from version 9 to shiny new 11 with the offer on at until September the 15th.
How stable is 11, especially under Mountain Lion? If anyone as in pointers It would be appreciated, I would really like to upgrade, but I have had a lot of
stability issues when using 8 and even 9 was not that rock solid, is this all in the past now.

Thanks

v1u1ant
09-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I wouldnt say all the stability issues are completely in the past, but 11 is a vast improvement in terms of stability its stability on Mac. I just upgraded from 9, and I am most impressed with it. I'm on SL still, so cant comment about ML, but i would recommend upgrading to 11, as you will also get 11.5 for free for starters.
You are probably aware of all the new functions in 11, so i wont bang on about those, and i know that the cost of upgrading is always a consideration, but in all honesty, after I deliberated over a week or so, after I made the decision I do not regret updating the software one tiny bit, so I would say, go for it, you wont regret it!!

Gazlw
09-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks, I have to say I am really looking forward to using it.

jwiede
09-15-2012, 08:29 AM
I think you'll be quite pleasantly surprised at the improvements. There are lots of little "workflow boosts" throughout LW11, on top of the "big" features added since LW9. LW11's rendering performance is very substantially improved over LW9.x, I think you'll be very impressed by how much faster LW11 renders, thanks to the new unified sampling. Be sure to read one of the write-ups on how to best "approach" render settings for unified sampling, though, as obtaining the maximum performance improvements requires some render settings changes versus past "optimal settings" approaches.

I'd say LW11.0.3 is perhaps even a bit more stable than 9.6 in most usage scenarios, but 9.6 was pretty stable IME as well. I feel the two are roughly on par, stability-wise, as I said with LW11's MTBF perhaps slightly better. There are still some gotchas, esp. in FFX on Mac, IME, but once you're aware of them, the situation is workable.

One last think you should know, many of Worley's UB plugins have issues on any LW past 9.6, due to change from Carbon to Cocoa. Since Worley used Carbon APIs to put up custom UI in many plugins, those plugins put up "blank dialogs" in LW9.6.1 and later (and might cause stability issues). Not all are broken, but many. If you're still highly reliant on FPrime, Sasquatch or G2, you'll need to switch back to 9.6 when you need them. Many of us maintain hope of an update someday, but I wouldn't recommend holding your breath until then. ;)

Gazlw
09-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info.