PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #188 - Crystal

Kryslin
09-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #188 - Crystal

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's .

This week's topic: Crystal! It's shiny, reflective, refractive, and it KILLS render times. These could be anything reflective, highly specular, and refractive - windows, glasses, gems, jewelry with gems, etc... So haul out your shiny stuff and show it off!

Time limit: 60 minutes

Deadline: Wednesday, 12 September 2012, 22:00 G.M.T

R.Feeney
09-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I would love to try this one but just wont have a chance this week unless there is a major change.

flakester
09-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Simple crystal swan - 45 mins for the model, most of that was spent getting pleasing curves to the neck and bill.
Can't remember how long I spent on the materials and setup, probably about an hour all told.

Got something else in mind if I can find the time.

Rabbitpenny
09-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Beautiful Swam flakester.

52 minutes in Modeler. Hour in Layout. 12 1/2 minute render.

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/GrapesBowl001.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/GrapesBowlMesh001.jpg

VictoryX
09-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Crystal Meth. Modeling time 2 minutes.

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/adjustvolume/Meth.jpg

Wireframe
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/adjustvolume/Meth_wires.jpg

jeric_synergy
09-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I >>REALLY<< wish that, with all the cool work shown in all the speed challenges, that submitters would include a description of how they approached the challenge. EG, the grapes above: pure sweat, or some clever approach with cloning?

That would enhance the educational aspect of the challenge 'program'-- it could be like the wireframes, required to qualify for a win.

--Except you, VictoryX, you're off the hook. 8~ :chicken:

XswampyX
09-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Here's an owl.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CrystalOwl.jpg

Started with a tessellated sphere. Cloned and resized for the head, then I dragged out the wings, feet and beak.

Rendered in Octane..... but modelled in Lightwave.

Some wires.

http://youtu.be/KJXTvqN4VXY

Iain
09-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Nice work swampy. That's what I was going to try!

Iain
09-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Changed to a mouse. 10 minutes modelling. (Maxwell render as got frustrated trying to get crystal using dielectric.)

XswampyX
09-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Nice work swampy. That's what I was going to try!

Thanks Iain. Ohh... you've made some lunch for my owl. Great render.

Iain
09-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Ta. Just playing with Maxwell materials........

XswampyX
09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Here's some glasses.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CrystalGlasses2_Small.jpg

Used a subpatch weight map to get the edges sharp on the stem.

Iain
09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
A decanter. 25 minutes...................

stevenpalomino
09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
you guys are freakin awesome.. i can never get my glass to look that realistic! What were your settings on the decanter iain? And what about you swampy for the glasses?

Netvudu
09-12-2012, 10:57 AM
I never take part in any of these, and I had a spare day at work, so I decided to try and...uh...letīs say I got a bit dragged off-topic.

Modelling was really really fast. Between 20 and 30 minutes..itīs all cloned primitives after all.

You see, I started with an original idea of a crystal tower on a crystal environment, but then some obsidian-like rocks seemed a great idea to add contrast, and ....now I donīt know if it qualifies at all into the challenge or I went too far...

...but hey, itīs a nice change of pace from all that dielectric goodness. There are many types of crystals....yes, this is my excuse :D

Wires

The big central column

The pointy element

These pointy crystal-rocky-columns thingies are cloned and rotated to get different pleasant positions

The ground is pretty straightforward. Just a deformed cylinder cloned with point clone plus

and thatīs about it. I instanced some of the ground for filling a bit the back.
Of course any kind of dielectric setup on this scene isnīt possible if I want to finish my render in less than 10 years.

Hope you like it even if itīs not exactly 100...80...50% on-topic :D

XswampyX
09-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Nice idea Netvudu. Just needs a man abseiling down in the middle and the green glow from a Cyalume.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CrystalCave.jpg Amazing!

you guys are freakin awesome.. i can never get my glass to look that realistic! What were your settings on the decanter iain? And what about you swampy for the glasses?

The quick answer.... I used Octane for the render. Until the caustics get sorted, I think you will be banging up against a brick wall for anything like crystal. :-(

v1u1ant
09-12-2012, 05:07 PM
A late addition, sorry!!! I had a spare hour today.
Modelled in about 5 minutes, very lowpoly model, subdivided and a with normal displacement used to modify the geo.
Then i just added some dialectic, subsurface, bump, noise nodes.
Render time was 9 min 38 secs. with Mitchell (soft) filter 9 pass AA, Radiosity Monte Carlo107826107825, Caustics, DOF, Classic Cam. Background image forced B&W final.

Kryslin
09-13-2012, 12:28 AM
First, I am simply blown away by the entries. And for those who think they're off topic, so long as it the image is mainly crystals or crystalline.

@XSwampyX - Yeah, I noticed that there were some caustics issues. My attempts at gemstones didn't seem quite right.

For those of you who think they're entries are gonna be late, don't worry about it... With the forums on a net bungee, I'm being lenient.

Iain
09-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Very nice crystal effect v1u1ant.
I just gave up after a while and switched to Maxwell. Dielectrics are great but you are quite limited in their tweaking.

v1u1ant
09-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks Iain. i kinda like dialectics in LW, but find its never enough on its own and combining it with SS will always expand the possibilities. Im not that technically minded anyway, so anything with maths will make my head swirl, i just went for what works visually.

Kryslin
09-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Flakester : Nice render, nice clean lines, and simple geometry.
Rabbitpenny : Ahh, still life. I wonder, did you take that from our table upstairs...? :)
VictoryX : A creative use of fracture for a distasteful subject, and a double pun on 'speed'.
XswampyX : Aww, a cute little owl. Everything is nice and clean.
Iain : And mice for the owl. :)
XswampyX 2 : Nice glasses. No wires, though.
Iain 2 : Excellent Decanter, and an excellent use of normal maps (At least, I'm assuming that's how you got the nice pattern on it)
Netvudu : Hmm... Somehow, I think I wandered into someone's fortress of solitude. :) An excellent image, and quickly done, for all the details.
v1u1ant : I have to agree with Iain - your crystals look fairly natural. An excellent effect.

And our winner is...

Netvudu!

A thank you to everyone who entered! Excellent images, all around!

flakester
09-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Grand job Netvudu - well deserved! :thumbsup:

v1u1ant
09-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Congrats Netvudu on a really nice image

Netvudu
09-16-2012, 05:37 AM
yay, thanks everyone :)

This is a first for me regarding speed modelling challenges. This means I have to create the next challenge after the scifi one that dee just created ends up, right?

Kryslin
09-16-2012, 03:21 PM
You would be correct, sir.