PDA

View Full Version : Need a render beast.

shadetoo
10-29-2003, 02:12 AM
I'm looking to get into a new system. A render beast. Just something that can kill these polys and rays..

Any suggestions..
and before you mention the g5.
I am intel till I die!

thinking dual Xeon's...

mattclary
10-29-2003, 05:37 AM
That should do it.

Titus
10-29-2003, 08:59 AM
I have (as many others here) a dual Xeon (mainly for editing). I wasn't aware that some scenes will not render faster using 2 processors than using only 1, actually some scenes can be slower. If your scene is simple enough (I don't have clear when simple is simple) you processors will
take more time distributing the job than doing the job, this happen with frames that take seconds to render. If your scene takes minutes then doing a render with multiple processors help.

Just see this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12329&highlight=titus

I haven't had experience with renderfarm in LW, maybe this the other option for consideration.

shadetoo
10-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Im thinking I might build this one. I have seen some pretty reasonable prices on zipzoomfly.com .

if anyone knows a place to buy stuff cheeper
I'd love to see your thoughts on it.

As far as a render farm goes..
I have 6 p4's and 3 p3's
But only one license of LW 7.

cholo
10-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Titus:

Para sacarle provecho a 2 procesadores cuando rendereas una escena muy simple solo abre 2 layouts al mismo tiempo y renderea la mita de los cuadros en cada uno, asi le sacas provecho a tus 2 procesadores. :)

shadetoo
10-29-2003, 10:09 PM
huh?
I speak American.

ivanze
10-30-2003, 12:03 AM
shadetoo, You don't speak american, you speak english.
What he is trying to say is to open two layouts and render odd frames in one and even frames in the other, so you use both processors.

I speak Latin American :D

shadetoo
10-30-2003, 02:22 AM
i know i speak english .. it was a joke :)

I havent got to the point of building the machine yet.

Does the video card matter?
I dont quite understand how the render engine works.
I have a g force fx 5200 256mb and now and i havent seen a great increase in performance over my older 128mb ati...
cept for openGL

i guess what im looking for is advice to make the best render machine for my buck.

what does lightwave best respond to

mattclary
10-30-2003, 07:44 AM
When buying parts, price alone should not dictate where you make your purchase. There is a site, I think it's called www.resellerratings.com , that rates vendors, I suggest you check out that vendor before buying. Personally, I use www.newegg.com and really like them a lot. Good prices and excellent service. They actually have photos of all their merchandise so you can see box contents and everything.

shadetoo
10-30-2003, 08:50 AM
ive spent thousands at zipzoomfly.com.
They are fast. Cheep.

Titus
10-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Cholo: Idea muy simple. No se me había ocurrido.

ivanze: You are right.

shadetoo: babelfish helps me a lot when I need to translate something on the web.

Titus
10-30-2003, 08:59 AM
wiredzone.com works for me.

RomainR
10-30-2003, 10:13 AM
Instead of opening 2 layouts, you can get render controler apps like Lightnet, spidernet (both free) or Alameto, TequilaScream, BNR. These will make use of both processors to render out frames. Each cpu will render it's own frame. Do a search for them at Flay.com test 'em out and hopefully you'll find happiness.

mattclary
10-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by shadetoo
ive spent thousands at zipzoomfly.com.
They are fast. Cheep.

Yeah, I checked them out at Reseller Ratings.com, tey used to be GoogleGear.

shadetoo
10-30-2003, 11:04 AM
so what am i lookin for?
What does lightwave like the most?

cholo
10-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Funny thing is none of us actually speaks american, since our languages are european. Maybe I should learn a native tongue :)

11-03-2003, 11:06 AM
There's 2 things you need to look at.
Sheer rendering grunt is processors (2 does help) and a motherboard & memory that are all matched for speed. If you want to run 2 render nodes/Lightwave sessions at once on the one machine you will need to have enough memory to hold the scene twice.
Seeing what you'r doing is Graphics card - not a gaming card but something specd for 3D graphics use, and IMHO dual monitor is soooo usefull I wouldn't be without it. You don't really need superfine resolution - if your building to render 720x576 pixels or whatever, asking the machine to render for you on the fly in a window more than 1280x1024 pixels could be a bit silly.
FWIW I use a Matrox Perehelion 128MB on 2x 21" monitors with a 'desktop' of 2560x1024, and it strains a bit - I have to turn off a lot of the fancy features if I'm working a cluttered sceen, or risk sudden lockup. But the graphics card has no effect on rendering either test renders or real render runs. ( unless it came from Walmart and can only do 256 colours at 640 x 480, - then you simply can't judge the quality of your renders properly.)

shadetoo
11-03-2003, 11:12 AM
excellent post!!!
This is what i was looking for.

So the graphics chip doesnt matter..
Great.
This is what i thought.

I use a dual monitor 256 mb on two 18 inch lcds and your right..

you can never go back.