PDA

View Full Version : "Gridy": cool grid-based window size/snap for Windows

phillydee
09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Found a gem of a program that has helped me keep my sanity when sizing/resizing and restoring different windows size and positions in Layout:

Griddy, a program that snaps your windows into an invisible grid, and allows for storing of windows sizes and positions :dance:

http://sector-seven.net/software/gridy

I don't maximize Layout specifically so I can have the graph editor and scene editors open simultaneously. However, I'm a bit twitchy so I often drag these windows out of place and it drives me nuts. Trying to use the Windows Configure Lscript/plugin from Master Plugins wasn't cutting it either, as it wouldn't store/restore the way I wanted.

I finally got so fed up with it that I took a few minutes to search around, and this came up. Fired it up and within minutes had everything looking tight and tidy... huge help for me so I figured it may help someone with similar preferences/workflow etc. :jam:

(On this thought of snapping of windows: having a feature similar to this would be incredibly awesome (but not necessary) in future Lightwave versions...)

BeeVee
09-05-2012, 11:14 AM
I used to use Allsnap (http://ivanheckman.com/allsnap/) but the software I use (DisplayFusion) for the dual monitors I have has snapping built-in.

B

kopperdrake
09-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks for that - just installed it, hopefully it might control my innate desire to fiddle with windows so they line up with each other pixel-perfectly.

Join the queue asking for snapping panels in LW...

phillydee
09-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I had looked at Allsnap before, but wasn't sure with Win7 compatibility. I actually was trying to search for Allsnap earlier when I stumbled on Griddy. I think what sold me was how I was able to hot-key windows' positions.

kopperdrake
09-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Now I just wish LW's panels were based on a grid size too - various panels just won't align on all sides as they just seem to be an arbitrary size :(

BeeVee
09-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Less so since LightWave 10.1 for Modeler at least - all the usual windows like numeric, stats, layers and maps are now the same width and the stats window is the right height to show all the poly stuff without scrolling - yay! :D

B

zardoz
09-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I still use AllSnap. In win7 64 I have allsnap32 and allsnap64 running at the same time because I noticed that the 32 version didn't see some windows and the same happened to the 64 version. With the two at the same time everything is perfect. But I'll check this Gridy
thanks for sharing

wesleycorgi
09-05-2012, 06:35 PM
On the Mac side, I use Divvy to quickly organize my various work windows.