PDA

View Full Version : Applying Shaders to all textures as a global adjustment

Filmdesigner
09-04-2012, 10:22 PM
I am building a game environment and have now applied all the appropriate textures. Now the developer wants to start playing with the overall "look" of the render components (surprise surprise). What I have are very simple image and colour textures but I now want to play with occlusion passes to create grunge layers.

The catch is I have over 200 buildings and each needs to be textured separately. What I would like to do is apply the occlusion as a global change to all the hundreds of textures in the scene.

Any ideas? What have I missed?

Cheers,

OFF
09-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Cageman's VideoTutorial: Faking GI with DP Pixel/Image Filters...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=130018
or
shaderMeister - Unique Global Shading System for LightWave 3D
http://db-w.com/products/shadermeister/about

Filmdesigner
09-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks, but that's not the solution. This is something Newtek should include

UnCommonGrafx
09-11-2012, 04:35 AM
You aren't really looking for a solution, huh...

Snosrap
09-12-2012, 09:06 PM
What I would like to do is apply the occlusion as a global change to all the hundreds of textures in the scene.

Any ideas? What have I missed?

Cheers, Maybe it's as simple as changing your Surface Editor to "Edit by Scene" and then selecting ALL the surfaces at once and make your global change. Just a thought. Oh, be sure to save your objects as different names or just don't save them at all and save your "Surface" instead for future use.

OFF
09-12-2012, 09:36 PM
when you have dozens of objects with hundreds of surfaces, each of which has its own UV-coordinates, this method will not work. Now I just have to deal with this situation - I got a ready-made hi-res buildings, there are hundreds and hundreds of different surfaces and their UV's. It would be fantastic to find a way to control it.

prometheus
09-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Donīt get it, wasnīt global occlusion a sort of a solotion for this, as in cagemanīs pixel filter tutorial?

and shaderMeister isnīt a solution because? commercial tool? or not able to do what you want?

some other or similar tips on multipass rendering and occlusion nodes, quite extensive description from global occlusion, subsurface scattering, depth passes etc...
http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Multipass_Rendering_with_Filter_Node_Editors

OFF
09-13-2012, 02:36 AM
i can not give to employer the scene including a commercial plugin - shader meister, for example. and I need a solution that will create the final image without any compose manipulations.

Filmdesigner
09-15-2012, 02:03 AM
The addition of a global feature would be ridiculously useful, not such a good solution in the commercial options.. In the situation I am currently working in I can't separate each texture as it would take far too long, selecting the whole palette of textures doesn't work and the VPR is only useful globally, so Catch 22. Photoshop uses a system as described to control layers. This is an excellent feature. Why not textures? Basically it takes hours to update all of the current textures to a new occlusion setting (that can't be done using a default texture as each displays differently again) which should take seconds.

50one
09-15-2012, 04:36 AM
Absolutely agree with Film designer, the quick global material override should be built-in in Lightwave. Hopefully this will be in lightwave 12...

UnCommonGrafx
09-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Filmdesigner,
That explanation would win them over. You should submit that as a feature request in the clear, concise manner you have as above.

It's about the client as much as the technicalities of getting a global control, as I see it: give the artist tools to excel.