PDA

View Full Version : Bullet setup question

monovich
09-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm trying to set up a bullet shot and I can't get it to work the way I want.

I want to fire a literal bullet at a steel plate target. When the bullet hits the target I want it to shatter.

How do I keyframe the motion of the bullet AND have it shatter when it impacts. Don't I need to use the kinematic type in order to be able to keyframe the bullet? When I do that I can't get the bullet to shatter (I have it pre-fractured into parts in modeler).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

cagey5
09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
You need to set it to parts mode and under activation, set it to activate on last key.

Set your key frames to finish before impact. The inertia at the point of that last keyframe will carry it on to impact. I have shown a couple of captures from a similar set-up.

Let me know if you need further info.

This is the animation that shows the full trajectory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHF_dIHCPE&feature=plcp

monovich
09-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the quick answer! That makes perfect sense and I've been banging my head on my desk for an hour. I'll give it a try and report back.

monovich
09-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Yup that worked great although I needed to start with a fresh scene setup. Thanks again!

monovich
09-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Another question. I have some tiny fracture bits going through the collision plane even though it is a very solid plane. Does anyone know which setting I could try to tweak to fix this?

cagey5
09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Dynamics framerate?