PDA

View Full Version : animate uv painting options for 3d video projection mapping

AbstractTech3D
09-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Hello

I'm trying to solve a problem whereby I have a number of stacked cubes, and wish to animate textures traversing the surfaces of the cubes as a single object (and possibly it might be easier to make them a single object).

… for the purposes of a creating a 3D video projection map presentation onto real world cubes - something like:
https://vimeo.com/24502224

45 sec
2'03
3'22

So I need a workflow in which 2d animations can easily be applied to UV map(s).

The result should enable, for example, a dot to be animated at a consistent speed across the x axis, then when it hits an edge to appear to then wrap around the edge and continue at the consistent speed along the z, axis… (I hope that makes sense!)

+ many other animation possibilities.

For the sake of work flow, I'm trying therefore to figure out the most versatile UV unwraps to which numerous 2d graphic animations could be applied.

Also, trying to think on other ways to animate such - like can paintings using 3d Coat or similar be easily animated?

Most keen to hear your thoughts and advise! Thanks!;)

Edit:
At the moment all cubes are on a single layer, and although overlapping and crossing through each other - each is not connected to the others. Is there an operation in modeller which will combine the geometry - like a boolean add (except that they are all on the same layer, of course)?

dee
09-04-2012, 07:48 AM
At the moment all cubes are on a single layer, and although overlapping and crossing through each other - each is not connected to the others. Is there an operation in modeller which will combine the geometry - like a boolean add (except that they are all on the same layer, of course)?

There's SpeedBooleans which operate in one layer, or LWCad's Bool where you just need to click on every cube to be added.

Have a look at the Texture Guide tool which makes a uv map from a "camera" view.

SplineGod
09-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Are they just front projecting the images onto the stacked cubes? If so you could do the same in Lw. You could also UV unwrap a cube then clone it around. Each cube will still have its own UVs. You could layout all the UVs together in one template that your animaton and/or video is mapped on. SInce only certain faces of each cube will be seen those might be the ones you worry about laying out in a particular way. Any application that can produce video or animation can be used to create your graphics on your UVs.

AbstractTech3D
09-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Thanks guys, good advice!