PDA

View Full Version : Just curios as to who is self taught or school

Fistandantilus
10-28-2003, 08:13 PM
How many of you are

1.Self Taught-Online tutorials etc
2.Learned by reading books
3.Went to school for CG

Also do you think it is necessary to have a degree to be able to work in CG?

tasmanian
10-29-2003, 12:33 AM
I am self taught as far as CG is concerned but I did go to art school and studied classical animation. So I'm sort of half and half.

I don't think it matters how you learn things. A good demo reel is much more convincing than any diploma. Schools have advantages too though. One I would point out is the presence of other CG interested people, be it teachers or students. Never underestimate those contacts. If you want to work in this business you will have to know people. I would say if you can afford a good school go for it, if you can't, don't despair, learn things on your own, might take you longer but if you have it in you, you will get there.

Jimzip
10-29-2003, 02:41 AM
Well that's kind of a tough desicion.. I taught myself, then got some books, then went to animation school!!
Yipe!

I voted self taught though.

CG isn't an industry that's exactly easy to get into. Well compared to others it's quite difficult. If you aren't freelancing you could be on contract from a studio but there is never really guaranteed fulltime work.

Jimzip :D

Aegis
10-29-2003, 03:12 AM
Self taught!

First 3D program I ever used was VU3D on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum - anyone remember that? :D

Next I used Real 3D and Imagine on the Amiga and 3D Studio for DOS before stumbling across LightWave 3D 3.5 - Ahh! Love at first sight! (Actually, there was another Amiga 3D program in there somewhere but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called - all you could do was build checkerboards and chrome balls anyway...)

I learnt 3.5 in a round a month by reading the manual cover-to-cover then trying out every function 'til I was sure I knew how it worked - of course LightWave (and the manual) has gotten a lot bigger since then... 'been holding the torch for NewTek ever since...

prospector
10-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Ahh, the Timex sinclair..a whopping 4K ram:)
My first compy

First 3d ? program was making that bird fly on the Vic 20
Was that considerd 3D ???

Still have that, then went to the 64 and made the bird fly in groups:D
Now I'm hittin the fast lane;)

But oh those pokes and peeks:(
Finally the Amiga and LW..WOO HOO
No more Birds !!!
Anything I dreamed of:cool:

colkai
10-30-2003, 05:35 AM
Never had any training for any of my pastimes.
3D / LW, Music & programming all learned the hard way.

Though it has to be said, the LW community puts out some fine tutorial videos and web pages for consumption! :D

jin choung
10-30-2003, 11:49 PM
usually,

the term self taught is books inclusive... but yah, i learn everything from books.

i used to not have a computer that could run lw (before i became modernized, i had a PC XT) so i read the lightwave power guide from cover to cover.

when i got back to the computer at work, i discovered i knew how to use lw!

i HATE fiddling with an app not knowing what i'm doing. much rather cuddle into the sofa with a book and come back knowing whats what. i know, that's a lot different than most but it works for me.

my mantra is books books books - everything valuable i know i learned from a book.

and magazines.

ever since i picked up my first post college hobby - still photography - i discovered it takes about 3 books and about 2 months of magazine reading in the field to get up to speed on the current state of a field.

and i really can't shake the feeling that most schools are a rip off. if you can't learn on your own or through books and self study, i guess there's no option. but learning through books offer the same information at many fractions of the price.

same thing goes for books. i come from a film and screenwriting background and there are a lot of people just trying to make a quick buck by putting out stuff with not a great amount of educational value - just take a look at a screenwriting section in any bookstore and you'll know what i mean.

sadly, in education these days, almost more than other endeavors.... caveat emptor.

the web is also a fantastic resource. nobody gets to where they are alone and nobody that i respect will do any less than share information completely freely.

jin

hrgiger
10-31-2003, 04:40 AM
Hmm, self-taught but I learned from books, magazines and online.

mrunion
10-31-2003, 05:33 AM
Aegis, was the other program called Turbo Silver? Just wondering.

Aegis
10-31-2003, 06:50 AM
Actually, I just remembered - that other package was "Sculpt/Animate 4D" - didn't have texture mapping as I recall so I had to hand texture my anims frame-by-frame in DPaint :eek:

Turbo Silver was the successor to Silver (which came with a nifty bag of chrome marbles trivia fans) and the predecessor of Imagine. LightWave was always my favourite, closely followed by the original DOS version of 3D Studio (programmed by none other than Dan Silva of Deluxe Paint fame). Real 3D was the biggest disappointment - so much potential locked behind an impenatrable UI and a really nasty scripting language...

And on the subject of self-teaching, LightWave 3.5 came with a Desktop Images tutorial video which really helped get me started - that, the manual and a Lee Stranahan seminar at Premier Vision's offices in Waterloo - Remember that one Lee? I interviewed you for Amiga Pro magazine :D

11-03-2003, 11:19 AM
I ran away from University to join the theatre about 1/4 century ago, learned to design, make & light things for 'real' , ended up in cardboard & wire modelmaking and drawingboard work, got a job with someone who used ACAD and had a spare seat I could learn on, tried a bit of 3Dstudio when it was young, tried MAX, got shown LW back in '95 and stuck with it ever since.
I guess I over the last 8 years I have spent at least 4 hours every week on 'learning' LW by 1) trial and error, 2) reading the book, reading oline tuts,4) reading other books.

Rei
11-03-2003, 01:24 PM
I started out on a Demo copy of Infini-D, although it was only 5 or so years ago, it does seem to be an age to me, as I work towards my first ever demo reel!

Self taught all the way, only found out about the online stuff recently, and have been an active member of CGtalk for a while now.

Fistandantilus
11-04-2003, 12:20 AM
usually,the term self taught is books inclusive... but yah, i learn everything from books.

:D Yeah I know but I picked 3 things for my poll so I had to put something in there.LOL:D :D