PDA

View Full Version : "Colliers" space articles restored and reprinted for free.

starbase1
09-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I know I'm not the only one around here interested in the early ideas of how the space program would go, so I thought this worth sharing!

http://www.aiaahouston.org/newsletter/

July / August issue.

Get the high res version - it contains a high quality reproduction of the original 1952 Colliers articles by Werner von Braun and others, "Man will conquer space soon!", with high resolution high quality restorations of all the Chesley Benstell artwork, and other articles on space travel from the same issue.

Nick

djwaterman
09-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Thank you, how awesome these retro designs are. I'm thinking of modeling them, it would be quite a challenge to set them up in a scene and get them to look realistic. The space station from afar looks simplistic and toy-like, but another illustration of its hull shows lots of rivets and hooks, so that would provide the surface detail to give it scale. And the rocket is really spectacular, again, the design is so simple that you'd have to really work the surface to give it scale. Indeed the actual newsletter is full of interesting stuff also.

jeric_synergy
09-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Nifty! Thanks for the link!

djwaterman, that's the trouble w/these really large engineering projects: textures. (L0L) They're so big that any texture is going to disappear whenever you can get the whole thing in a shot. Orbital elevators, ringworlds, dyson spheres: tough to make visually interesting.