PDA

View Full Version : RH Nodal Tutorials - RELEASED

RebelHill
09-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey all...

So a lil over 3 years ago now I released my RHR rigging tutorials and was most pleased by the response from users... most especially how much everyone enjoyed the depth and detail of the training series, not to mention the gains for users and getting to see some of the cool work they went on to produce.

So Im back... and doing the same again (hopefully) this time with LightWave's Nodal interface/editor. I would bang on about what's available and included... but hey, just go check the videos and the site. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1C4072533A16B807&feature=plcp

As for sales...

The series is available (primarily) through Liberty 3D and can be purchased either by individual chapter, or as a whole series at a special price (by 2 get third half price). Also, as a launch SPECIAL the videos are going out in Libs Labour Day sale... so today and tomorrow you can save a further 30%.

http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/rebel-hill/

Ive also, of course, added the videos to my own site... Im only offering the complete set here, and have priced in GBŁ (this is mainly as a convenience for customers in GB or others who prefer the Ł). I appreciate that due to currency fluctuations this may cause it to be a lil cheaper from day to day on one site or the other... but hey. Whatever works for you.

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhn.html

Ok... there we go, cheers all and I hope you like what Ive done.

OnlineRender
09-02-2012, 03:04 PM
looking good!

erikals
09-02-2012, 03:37 PM
 
very-very nice, and needed, thank you! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

> bought!
 

jwiede
09-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Looks good, will snag ASAP!

BTW RH, did you realize they all say "Fundamentals training for the Node Editor in LightWave 3D." in their descriptions on Liberty3D? Still possible to guess what each contains, but might be worth fixing.

RebelHill
09-02-2012, 04:20 PM
ah nuts...

thats what I get for copy/paste.

Fixed!

alexos
09-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Done! Now, as for finding the time to watch it... *sigh*

ADP.

KevinMack
09-02-2012, 04:53 PM
So how does this work, how do I download the videos, I made my purchase but no where on liberty 3d do I see a your videos or download button?

RebelHill
09-02-2012, 05:00 PM
You should be sent a mail by Lib containing download link.

KevinMack
09-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks, Gmail spammed it

khan973
09-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Purchased! But on your website where I saw it first.
Again, thanks for taking time!

erikals
09-02-2012, 05:16 PM
(just a note, using gmail worked fine here, but you might wanna check if the email is missing)

khan973
09-02-2012, 06:22 PM
2am Here but I couldn't resist!
They look awesome!

In Fundamentals, 02_Interface_Basics.mov you could also talk about Hypervoxels nodes (DP) I think it's the only one you haven't showed.

Axis3d
09-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Can't wait to watch them - Looks awesome! buying it now. Thanks, RebelHill!

aidenvfx
09-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Happily bought your training is among the best I have taken.

DogBoy
09-03-2012, 01:14 AM
good job.

nikfaulkner
09-03-2012, 02:00 AM
bought...as done with both your other sets of training (rigging AND radiosity)

i look forward to checking them later :)

battery555
09-03-2012, 04:24 AM
Given the 30% discount I just emptied my wallet to go for the full package. Ha... downloading it now :boogiedow

RebelHill
09-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Im so glad everyone's so enthused... most gratifying. I'll be especially interested to hear feedbacks once folks have watched some... most especially from the main target audience.. those who felt left behind a bit by the whole nodal thing.

Khan, you're right, I missed mentioning the HV nodal thing... however... anywhere with a "T"...

Cheers all.

Brötje
09-03-2012, 05:02 AM
I was just working on a sea... you method is so much more flexible! Thanks a lot! Best 50 pounds I ever spent!

RebelHill
09-03-2012, 05:13 AM
I was just working on a sea... you method is so much more flexible! Thanks a lot! Best 50 pounds I ever spent!

Thanks... very glad you like the method.

Actually, one thing I forgot to mention is part of the intention of the Ocean tutorial... is that it visits back (in part) on this whole "math with the artists method" approach that I keep pushing.

So I use methods and tools, such as sine, which come from the physics of how bodies of water behave... attempting to copy what goes on in the real world. But apart from these few, very broad strokes with the "physics brush"... you'll see that a lot of the relationships between thigns I just sort of throw together... playfully.

So in a way the ocean tut is really a tut on taking a basic knowledge of the physics, a basic bit of math, and using it to create, not a physical, accurate simulation... but an ARTISTIC simulation.

A lil slice of actual, technical knowledge, layered with a lot of guessing, and eyeballing.

Brötje
09-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks... very glad you like the method.

Actually, one thing I forgot to mention is part of the intention of the Ocean tutorial... is that it visits back (in part) on this whole "math with the artists method" approach that I keep pushing.

So I use methods and tools, such as sine, which come from the physics of how bodies of water behave... attempting to copy what goes on in the real world. But apart from these few, very broad strokes with the "physics brush"... you'll see that a lot of the relationships between thigns I just sort of throw together... playfully.

So in a way the ocean tut is really a tut on taking a basic knowledge of the physics, a basic bit of math, and using it to create, not a physical, accurate simulation... but an ARTISTIC simulation.

A lil slice of actual, technical knowledge, layered with a lot of guessing, and eyeballing.

I very much like the procedural approach. Sometimes ( or often) I wish Lightwave would adopt a nodal system for particles too. Nice work!

silviotoledo
09-03-2012, 06:27 AM
that car rigging looks amazing!

lino.grandi
09-03-2012, 06:34 AM
As always, amazing stuff from RH!

Lewis
09-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Congrats on release, good stuff :)

adrian
09-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Well I am your target audience exactly - I have no idea what this nodes stuff is all about. I keep hearing great things about it but not one clue about how to go about tapping into this power. Frustrating to the max.

So thanks for making these available - I will place my order tonight and will definately give you feedback.

BTW I am highly delighted to see these videos are available for download - if your radiosity one was too I would've bought that ages ago as well. I positively hate streaming videos only (I often use a separate laptop with no Internet connection for training videos).

SteveH
09-03-2012, 08:22 AM
I just bought it RebelHill. Downloading now - so it will be a week or so with my internet connection....:D

Maybe I'll understand nodes by the end at something more than a kindergarden level!

jeric_synergy
09-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Considering how many things I just learned from the taste on YouTube, AND the Labor Day Discount (go unions!!!) , I'll be buying this.

jeric_synergy
09-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I very much like the procedural approach. Sometimes ( or often) I wish Lightwave would adopt a nodal system for particles too. Nice work!
::taps temple:: ..... r u sure something nodal from DPont isn't applicable for particles? Not sure about your application, of course....

Brötje
09-03-2012, 10:03 AM
::taps temple:: ..... r u sure something nodal from DPont isn't applicable for particles? Not sure about your application, of course....

I don't think so... Unless I'm mistaking you can't edit particle properties and effectors with particles. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

jeric_synergy
09-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think so... Unless I'm mistaking you can't edit particle properties and effectors with particles. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I really have no idea, but I don't put anything past Denis and the Nodal Wizards (band name!) around here.

Unless particles can be considered 'Parts', then "Part Info Move" might be applicable.

.....Actually, if you look at Denis' page, one of his Item Info nodes is called "Particle Info". And I know people use the existing particle system and DPKit to attach things to particles all the time. Check it out dood! :thumbsup:

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

Bax33
09-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey all...

Also, as a launch SPECIAL the videos are going out in Libs Labour Day sale... so today and tomorrow you can save a further 30%.

Liberty3D doesn't seem to be continuing the sale. Added Full Package to cart and no discount. Removed and added all three packages but cart showed each a full price, not half price for third.

Enjoyed some of the demo ones you posted and they look very educational.

UnCommonGrafx
09-03-2012, 10:31 AM
I bought it.

Happened on an explanation of a DPont node, Align, for targeting purposes.

The worth of this set multiplied by 100.

Powerful stuff. Thanks for your time.

3dWannabe
09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Liberty3D doesn't seem to be continuing the sale. Added Full Package to cart and no discount. Removed and added all three packages but cart showed each a full price, not half price for third.

Enjoyed some of the demo ones you posted and they look very educational.
You have to add in the coupon. The 'Full Package' price has a discount from ordering the 3 separately - but you have to add the L3DLABOR coupon to get the 30% extra.

I just did that, so it does work.

3dworks
09-03-2012, 10:54 AM
looking for something like this for a while, got them immediately! :)
...thanks for sharing your knowledge!

markus

UnCommonGrafx
09-03-2012, 10:56 AM
"UnCompositing"...

NT should use that somehow.

Great line.

RebelHill
09-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Lino, everyone... many thanks for the kind words.

And yes I shall be MOST interested to hear from those of you who've been (at least a little) baffled by nodal how you get on and find your understanding change as you work through things and try stuff out for yourselves.

And UCGFX... yup, "uncompositing"... I genuinely couldnt think of a better term... Whats going on in DP filter is TRULY amazing from a pass generation point of view, and Gerado's Skillz there are second to none. Like I said, could make a deep, detailed tutorial series on that topic alone.

3dw... you do some lovely arch viz stuff... I think once u get deep into some of the sections and ideas presented in surfacing, materials, etc... you'll really like what you get out.

Jeric... the particle thing is actually HV thing... for HV shading. What I think the other poster was on about was particle behaviour DRIVEN by nodal... and that we don't have (at least, not until 11.5 with nodal flocking control).

Brötje
09-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I really have no idea, but I don't put anything past Denis and the Nodal Wizards (band name!) around here.

Unless particles can be considered 'Parts', then "Part Info Move" might be applicable.

.....Actually, if you look at Denis' page, one of his Item Info nodes is called "Particle Info". And I know people use the existing particle system and DPKit to attach things to particles all the time. Check it out dood! :thumbsup:

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

RebelHill is right, I was talking about creating particle systems with nodes, like in Houdini or like Thinking Particles.

@RebelHill: I never really used nodes before because I never quite got it, but, I have learned a massive amount by just looking at your "Big Blue" video.

RebelHill
09-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Im so glad... Yes, part of the reason for doing the old, boring procedural ocean was to take things that should already be familiar to users and show the nodal equivalent to help you make the translation for yourself. Happy its working out for you so far.

souzou
09-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Just picked them up on Liberty3D - really looking forward to going through these vids, thanks RH!

Brötje
09-03-2012, 12:50 PM
@RebelHill: Do you know Python? I would love a comprehensive set of tutorials about that one... ;)

jeric_synergy
09-03-2012, 01:02 PM
And yes I shall be MOST interested to hear from those of you who've been (at least a little) baffled by nodal how you get on and find your understanding change as you work through things and try stuff out for yourselves.
ˇPresenté! :D

Done and done: just (9/3, 11:58PDT) purchased the full 3 piece set, downloading #1 currently, and am VERY much looking forward to having my mind blown.

Also, I'd like to say it was a pleasure dealing with Liberty3d.com (http://liberty3d.com)'s very painless merchant system. Very slick, Kat, well done. And the discount really makes this purchase a no-brainer.

adrian
09-03-2012, 02:46 PM
I've just bought the full set from Liberty3D too, and will second Jeric's words about the painless buying procedure from them - added the discount no probs and am downloading the first part now.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

Oedo 808
09-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I was undecided over these, but I watched the promo and thought blimey, I don't think I could compile nigh on eleven hours worth of tutelage on the subject, or even close to, so there must be something in there for me, and I'm sure there will be plenty. :thumbsup:

Cageman
09-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Good work RH! This is a massive undertaking, and I'm glad to see you finaly made it! :) I might pick this one up at some point!

Regarding Oceans... I just stick to HOT... :D

m.d.
09-03-2012, 04:00 PM
just grabbed em too...

nice stuff

hrgiger
09-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Long overdue material, RH.. not from you I mean (though I'm glad it is), but just on the node editor in general. Will definately pick up.

Bax33
09-03-2012, 08:17 PM
but you have to add the L3DLABOR coupon to get the 30% extra.

Hey, thanks. I figured there was a code, but of course I couldn't find it. But I just got the full package. Thanks again

UnCommonGrafx
09-03-2012, 09:37 PM
The car project...

Brilliant.

Thanks.

AbstractTech3D
09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Yes, the car project sold me on it. Downloading now. Looks really good RH!

I concur with hrgiger - long overdue (not from RH - but concerning the node editor in general).

(I also found the download link in my Gmail spam - just to be aware anybody else trying to find it).

omichon
09-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Well done RH ! Looks good as always :thumbsup:

RTSchramm
09-04-2012, 01:11 AM
I downloaded the videos, look good so far, but is there a table of contents that shows which order to view the videos?

Rich

nikfaulkner
09-04-2012, 01:15 AM
I downloaded the videos, look good so far, but is there a table of contents that shows which order to view the videos?

Rich

ermmm????....they are numbered :/

RTSchramm
09-04-2012, 02:53 AM
When I extracted all the videos tha are not numbered.

Rich

nikfaulkner
09-04-2012, 02:56 AM
hey rich.

i think its only the first "introduction" set that are numbered and need to be watched in order.

the second set are more like a reference so you watch what you want

and the third are individual tutorials, so again order doesnt matter

RebelHill
09-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Yep... thats pretty much the deal. Fundamentals set is numbered for order (though after "paint by number", the remainder few dont really need their order followed)... the other sets are basically any order. Though ofc, it does also help to watch the chapters/collections in their 1,2,3 order too.

Again... very happy that all'a y'all are happy. And yes... the car. I thought that may turn a couple heads... but once u see it, its kinda... so simple, that u just gotta think... "hellz, what else could I do??!"

medzo
09-04-2012, 05:07 AM
hi, i have just watched the materials tutorial (wish there was more :( ) and when you are saying that material nodes have included fresnel function is that really true? Because I dont think that delta node has fresnel node included, conductor maybe ... I dont know... Can you clarify is fresnel built in all of material nodes?

dee
09-04-2012, 07:02 AM
I watched chapters 1 and 2, quite interesting stuff in there. :thumbsup:
But the audio is very unpleasant. http://forums.newtek.com/images/smilies/brians/thumbsdown.gif

RebelHill
09-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Yes, sorry, your quite right delta is just plain energy conserving, to get fresnel, plug the fresnel node to its specular.

And sorry bout the sound... once you get through a few you'll find it hit and miss between... I think a lot is the sound from comp at different times... and my sound editing skillz are often of the level that make things worse Im afraid.

monovich
09-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Drat. Just saw this thread and missed the sale by a day. That's what ya get for taking a vacation on a holiday. I gotta buy this anyway though. I was just thinking yesterday that LW is powerful but inaccessible to the masses when it comes to nodes, so thanks for cracking them open a bit.

jeric_synergy
09-04-2012, 12:52 PM
RH: "....what I'm going to use, by way of example, for this kind of approach and thinking, is an explanation behind SIN(), which upsets a lot of artists."

LOL! :thumbsup:

Classic! And true.

skype6
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Realy nice!!!

jasonwestmas
09-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Oh wowie~! Thanks. Will check these out.

goakes
09-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Very well done RH. I am about half way through and loving it.

RTSchramm
09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
OK, what the problem was that I did a bulk unzip, but the first zip file didn't unzip. So I fixed the problem, and now see chapters 00 to 08, is this correct?

Rich

jwiede
09-04-2012, 07:03 PM
And sorry bout the sound... once you get through a few you'll find it hit and miss between... I think a lot is the sound from comp at different times... and my sound editing skillz are often of the level that make things worse Im afraid.
What kind of mic are you using? And how is it "situated" in the workspace? A decent mic is easily half the battle, I've found. Once I switched to a condenser mic on a stand, my noise issues went down tremendously. Even a Samson C01 or Meteor, or Blue Snowball or Yeti will be vastly better than nearly any (non-pro) "headset" mic. Adding a spit screen (or even the old pantyhose trick) also can help significantly if you're picking up lots of sibilance noise. With the right setup, your audio post should focus almost entirely on stitching and level mgmt (instead of noise reduction).

ncr100
09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
On Sound: (we might be able to process the sound - high-pass filter?)

On the Car Tute: Is this how one would rig a camera to track an object, but with some heave and heft? Say if filming a fast-moving bird in real life, a camera-operator would be hard pressed to keep it within the frame. The sway of the Car seems like it'd be analogous to the camera's movement.

Will have to watch the video to find out for myself!! Tx for contributing RH!

mborge
09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
CRAP! I wasn't on the forum over the holiday and now the Coupon is expired. ARRRGH!!! Teach me to take a holiday. @#$#@$!!! - Please have another sale! I'm ready now! :thumbsup:

PS - Looks awesome.

wyattharris
09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Woo, just saw the updates through YouTube subscription.
I'll be getting these as soon as I have time to study them... maybe before. :D

adk
09-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Half way through the second set and really enjoying the whole lot RebelHill ... hope this gets a few more folks here into all aspects of nodal. The more the merrier !

monovich
09-07-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm enjoying these but I'm definitely having to go back and re-watch things multiple times. Right now the vectors tutorial is frying my brain a little bit. You make statements and move past them pretty quickly and I'm left trying to figure out what you just said and why.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I used to think that was a problem with tutorials, but now I see it as a huge feature. More material gets covered, and we can always watch it over and over.

But, one must remember: it's not TV, you have to take control of your viewing experience.

monovich
09-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah I'm finding that if I don't get something I sleep on it and re watch and things slowly start clicking in my head. One thing is for sure, a certain type of thinker will pick up some of these concepts easier than others.

RebelHill
09-07-2012, 01:35 PM
the vectors tutorial is frying my brain a little bit. You make statements and move past them pretty quickly and I'm left trying to figure out what you just said and why.

Anything in particular?

Axis3d
09-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Anyone using a mac? I'm having some issues loading some of the nodal projects. The creature scene won't seem to load and keeps crashing LW. The ocean scene uses plugins that don't seem to install on the mac (Pom nodes). The TruArts nodes dont seem to have a mac version available on their website. Would this affect being able to follow along with the tutorials?

RebelHill
09-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Creature scene I dont get. Poms nodes are used for organisation, so not needed to follow. TAs used for time, and also a fair bit for split. You can get time elsewhere, or use a substitute ever increasing value, and split is available via the col/vec>scalar nodes.

nnabdu
09-08-2012, 03:29 PM
great job thanks man..

GraphXs
09-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Yes, really good stuff!

bbuxton
09-09-2012, 05:31 PM
This is definitely one of the best tutorial sets I've seen for Lightwave!! Well done and thank you for such a fantastic reference.

I'm trying to port over some Lightworks LWA metals from a CAD application I use but my grasp of fresnel and math in general falls a bit short.
LWA metals have separate IOR values for each R G B channel and also absorption values also for each R G B channel. When three fresnel nodes are plugged into a make colour node the result is a nice coloured gradient for the reflection.
Not sure what to do with the absorption values as they seem different to the inverse of the fresnel. I'm sure somewhere in the videos you mention how to set up the math for energy conservation so just need to get my noodle around the absorption / K values. I have been trying to reproduce these materials for quite some time and could not have got this far without these tutorials. I've only had them a couple of days!!

RebelHill
09-10-2012, 03:00 AM
So glad you're finding it helpful...

Now, Lightworks, thats a whole different animal in a lot of ways. Principle amongst them is the fact taht its much more of a physical light simulator (which is why its kinda slow), when it bounces stuff around, its a far closer match to what happens in the real world. LightWave's renderer, as well as MOST other renderers (though ofc not all) used in entertainments DCC stuff is less so. In the former, the goal is often the physical simulation itself, the rendered imeg is more like the "readout" of that data. In the latter, the image is the goal, and the "physics" is a mechanic for producing it. The important difference is taht the first is VALUE driven, whilst the second is LOOK driven.

To this end, as was discussed in another thread the other week, attempting a TRUE physically accurate setup in LightWave is a bit of a wasted effort. Firstly, its not that kind of renderer, and second... there are even further things that come into play, as noted on that Cornell page, such as the polarisation of light in the environment. Take the same metallic surface, carefully measure its "fresnel graph" indoors under artificial lighting and again outside under diffuse lighting, and you'll get 2 different results, take photos, and you'll get 2 different "looks".

This is one of the reasons why I only really skate over the basics of the math in RHN, and try to explain more whats going on in actual visual terms... because the best approach, I find for LW is to let the math INSPIRE rather than DICTATE how to set a given thing up. So for materials, I'll follow the basic principles of energy conservation to get something where all the materials are mixing with one another, and the rest of the scene environment in a proper "balanced" sorta way... and from there let the art approach take over, nudging and fudging as I need to get the LOOK Im after.

In math/science... if it agrees with observation, then its right. In computer graphics, if it LOOKS right... then its right.

Anyhow... as to some of the specifics of your questioning. Absorption (in an opaque) is a pretty complex thing... On the one hand you can tie it in (balance it out) with MIRROR (technically specular) reflection, where it is somewhat equal to refraction+transmission (of a transparent surface), but ofc it's also tied to DIFFUSE reflection, where the absorbed wavelengths subtracted from white (or whatever light colour) are the opposite of the diffuse colour we see.

In LW terms... this basically means you deal with it using your colour/diffuse values. A surface, pure white, with diffuse of 50%, is EXACTLY the same (when rendered) as a 50% grey surface with diffuse 100%... Why, well because LW simply doesnt really do much in terms of rendering materials based on physical absortption ROIs, etc.... so you're gonna have to fudge it.

However, as you've noticed... u can start using teh simple SCALAR output of a fresnel curve/graph to drive individual colour channels... so ofc you CAN begin to build something more accurate by using this method to drive the colour values (and ofc u can get appropriate diffuse values too). Ofc the phenomena you're faking, is that you get a colour shift along the "surface gradient" as different wavelengths get different fresnel gradations, and another useful resource for you to read up on, if you like, taht deals with these issues, as well as good old skool cheats, is teh 1982 Cook/Torrence paper from siggraph. Look at the math... ignore it, makes no odds. But check out stuff like the colour gradient on p17, and think how you might use your fresnel effects to drive the rbg inputs on a colour gradient, and so on. http://graphics.pixar.com/library/ReflectanceModel/paper.pdf

erikals
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm enjoying these but I'm definitely having to go back and re-watch things multiple times.

story of my life, for every single LW video out there :]

erikals
09-10-2012, 01:56 PM
This is one of the reasons why I only really skate over the basics of the math in RHN, and try to explain more whats going on in actual visual terms... because the best approach, I find for LW is to let the math INSPIRE rather than DICTATE how to set a given thing up.

just my cup of coffee 107792

bbuxton
09-10-2012, 09:08 PM
However, as you've noticed... u can start using teh simple SCALAR output of a fresnel curve/graph to drive individual colour channels... so ofc you CAN begin to build something more accurate by using this method to drive the colour values (and ofc u can get appropriate diffuse values too). Ofc the phenomena you're faking, is that you get a colour shift along the "surface gradient" as different wavelengths get different fresnel gradations, and another useful resource for you to read up on, if you like, taht deals with these issues, as well as good old skool cheats, is teh 1982 Cook/Torrence paper from siggraph. Look at the math... ignore it, makes no odds. But check out stuff like the colour gradient on p17, and think how you might use your fresnel effects to drive the rbg inputs on a colour gradient, and so on. http://graphics.pixar.com/library/ReflectanceModel/paper.pdf[/QUOTE]

That's a very interesting read!
Ultimately I'm going for aesthetics rather than physically accurate but I have been interested in the gradient colour shifts using fresnel for a while. Obviously the fresnel is just part of the job of reproducing these materials. Even if I fall short for me it is a good exercise in learning the ins and outs of an incredibly powerful material system.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Whoa.... just watched the Displacement video (2nd set): yikes, that's some tough sledding. Gonna watch that a couple times, maybe slow it down.... :)

RebelHill
09-27-2012, 02:59 AM
Sledding?? There's one I don't know. How are you getting on otherwise Jeric? Ive spied a couple of your nodes/setups dotted about recently which appear to be much better "aimed" than previous... Has the series been good for you, new ideas, new understanding of certain things?

Simon-S
09-27-2012, 04:17 AM
Bought! :)

roctavian
09-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Thank you, Sir.
Your tutorials are highly appreciated:thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
09-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Has the series been good for you, new ideas, new understanding of certain things?
It's absolutely been a great resource, clarified many issues and introduced concepts I didn't even know about. And your generous reference to the many other tutorials available (esp LightWIKI (http://lightwiki.net/)'s huge looking compositing article) facilitates many more hours of learning.

Currently, at this moment and on these meds, I'm feeling that one of the impediments to using nodes is just peculiarities/idiosyncrasies in outputs: as I fool around w/particles I'm learning on some nodes that AGE isn't the particles's age, and that some nodes are apparently DOA. Unfortunately, that feeling of have to just rote remember a thousand little idiosyncrasies is rather familiar. I'll bang my usual drum and say that (extensive) Balloon Help would be a particularly good assist in the node editor. But, that's my current challenge.

I rather like that your presentation is quite brisk: viewers have all the time in the world to stop and 'rewind' if they need to, and if they don't it moves right along.

All in all, money well spent. :thumbsup:

++
Oh, and http://idioms.yourdictionary.com/tough-sledding

RebelHill
09-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I am, ofc, most peased that it's taken you forward. Like Ive always said, on the face of it, nodes may seem mystifying, but there's nothing mystical about them, and anyone can get into using them.

your generous reference to the many other tutorials available (esp LightWIKI (http://lightwiki.net/)'s huge looking compositing article) facilitates many more hours of learning.

Yes... this is also one of the big reasons I wanted to do the series, cos we've all heard the complaint enough times about how there's NO tuts out there for nodal, when actually, the truth is there are bloody LOADS. The only problem is that there's been next to nothing introducing all the basics, and concepts, and so on, meaning that what is available doesn't make a lot of sense to a lot of people, so I have tried to make RHN something that opens the door to that larger world for folks. And with all the stuff that is available, as you keep going, you'll only get better, I can assure you.

And a new Americanism to add to my reparté... learn something new everyday.

jeric_synergy
09-27-2012, 12:05 PM
And a new Americanism to add to my reparté... learn something new everyday.
A variation is "heavy sledding", which IMM is a conflation of "heavy snow" and "tough sledding". :) Words Are Fun!©

3dWannabe
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I enjoyed your Nodal tutorial purchased thu Liberty!

I just bought your GI Tutorial thru cmivfx, and the sound and video quality are horrible.

The YouTube part 1 is light years better than the cmi version which has ringing in the vocals from bad compression, lots of softness in the video and it goes out of focus every second due to their clumsy attempt to 'watermark' the video (as if there weren't 1000 other ways that don't degrade the experience).

I know this is cmi's fault - not yours - as I've seen this before from them (although they promised to fix this many months ago).

Please don't use cmi again - and maybe find a way to provide a download link for those who purchased from cmi?

erikals
10-20-2012, 08:26 AM
also cmi keeps sending me emails, even though i unsubscribed from them. ugh.

(great GI tutorial though)

Markc
11-04-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm having problems with the Car Rig tutorial (at about 10:00 in video).
After setting the position Nodal Motion, when I connect the rotation for the Cab Base, the cab rotates 180 on Heading and -90 on Bank.
Has anybody followed along with this video?
Have opened the included (completed) scene file and removed the connections to the stage I am at, and it does the same!

Markc
11-04-2012, 10:00 AM
After moving on with the video it sorts itself out after a few more steps :)
Any Mac users using Mike Green's Springy Thing in 64 bit (do Lscripts work in 32 and 64 bit, it's only listed as x86 for mac on lwplugindb, although it was last updated in 2007)?

RebelHill
11-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Hey.

Well glad you found the problem... do note that it SHOULDNT be happening at the point of connections around the 10min mark, its the result of the extra rotation vec controls added around the 14min mark... As you'll note, I fix thins by simply putting the "target vector" in a different "hole" (up/r/forw)... though it can also be corrected via a null offset layer cross rotated appropriately (note the stuff where Im talking about having the acting nulls aligned in space co-ord wise, an other such notes from the spaces/constraints vids). Basically... this thing has a very specific ocurrence in the car rig I shpw, and the "fix" I show is the simplest in THAT SITUATION... but keep the issues in mind so as you can find different corrections as you may need them.

As for the springy thing... that is indeed LS so should make odds... 32/64/mac/pc.

Markc
11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks RH :thumbsup:

rcallicotte
11-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Here's a mention of how much I appreciate the details and yet the overall objectivity in this series. I have learned and continue to learn from this series, RH. Good work.

bbuxton
12-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Had some success building materials for a number of metals and a few alloys - even managing an acceptable fudge for extinction coefficients but have run into problems with metals that have an IOR of less than 1. None of the fresnel nodes in Lightwave like these values and produce different results to renders from other softwares (Cinema, Vray and Maxwell). Of course I expect Maxwell to behave differently as it is unbiased but have got reasonably close with a good number of metals.

Low IOR values are producing super hot gradients in Lightwave as if the values are being clamped. Is there a third party fresnel shader that doesn't clamp the values or is there a node that I have overlooked that would correct this?
Gold, Silver and Copper all have an IOR <1 and it would be nice to include these metals, where they are consistent with my more successful efforts.

toby
12-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Well spoken, clear, comprehensive tutorials are rare indeed! This is some of the best I've ever seen.

RebelHill
12-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Cheers V much...

Now, concerning IORs... I cant find any reference to copper having IOR<1... though you can for some other metals... however... only as the REAL component of an overall COMPLEX number for IOR. So, ofc, its not so straightforward as just using that single scalar in the renderer, and obv u cant start using complex values. What might be the best option for such materials, is to instead use a gradient, or better yet curve node to punch in the actual reflectence properties graphically, rather than numerically. This site/tool gives good stuff for different mats, as well as reflectence curves which you can just copy... http://refractiveindex.info/?group=METALS&material=Copper

bbuxton
12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Hello RH :-)
Yes IOR values for reflective materials are really complex. Mostly because of the guess work. For example Cu has an IOR of 10.8 @ 9.537 um, 0.483 @ 0.5893 um, in fact very different values depending on what wavelength the measurements were taken. Maxwell is the only render engine that I have found that clearly documents which wavelength to use for IOR values - 0.583 um. Refractiveindex.info is the best resource I have come across for IOR values especially as it gives measurements for numerous wavelengths. Many references are measured at 0.632 um but I have no idea what basis lightwave is using for it's fresnel nodes and would not be at all surprised if third party fresnel shaders such as IFW used a different wavelength all together. Ultimately given that Lightwave uses a biased engine the important thing is that the IOR values and derived gradients for different materials are consistent with each other. Most of this exercise is to improve my renders of semi-precious and slightly funky jewellery in Lightwave instead of Maxwell. Not to mention the opportunity to build on the vast amount I have learned from your fantastic tutorials.

BB

Don't get me started on how difficult it is to find IOR references for pewter & tin!!

jasonwestmas
12-19-2012, 09:16 AM
"Don't get me started on how difficult it is to find IOR references for pewter & tin!!"

Just ask Antti, he'll tell ya :D

erikals
12-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Well spoken, clear, comprehensive tutorials are rare indeed! This is some of the best I've ever seen.

yep, watching it again now, one of the best :king:

fahr
12-19-2012, 11:59 PM
-Quote deleted-

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to offend. Flippant, off-hand remarks can slip by easily when your not proofreading your stuff before posting... :P

RebelHill
12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Im highly interested in tackling your epic rigging series. Is it going to be available on liberty3d as well?

Thats a negative... BUT... stay tuned, there's gonna be developments next year.

erikals
12-20-2012, 02:54 PM
next year > 10 days ;]

bobakabob
12-20-2012, 02:57 PM
-Quote deleted-

Agree, couldn't believe I was reading this on the Lightwave forum. Offensive and sad to say, utterly moronic.

jeric_synergy
12-21-2012, 12:13 AM
next year > 10 days ;]
Or.... never!!!! {/mayans}

(where's my dripping blood font??) ;)