PDA

View Full Version : DX Studio Free now

renderwerx
09-02-2012, 02:22 PM
For now DX Studio Pro version is free
I guess it's a good promotion when they ship version 4 to get it for cheap

http://www.dxstudio.com/download.aspx

imports FBX, 3ds, Collada (no LightWave...)

jeric_synergy
09-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Never heard of it.

DigitalSorcery8
09-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I believe it's been reviewed in 3D World.

Always looked enticing, but IIRC it was a little too expensive. Might have to give it a shot now. ;)

fablefox
09-03-2012, 04:44 PM
It has been free for more than a year now. Two years?

They are focusing on a multi platform tools (IOS / Android is all the rage now). Sadly, they are quite expensive and too little too late. The moment Unity is available for Windows and have free version, suddenly it helped put a lot of coffin to other engines (including free and open source ones). Interesting to see how 3D Game Studio, DXStudio and Garage Games still manage to breathe...

jwiede
09-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Garage Games still manage to breathe...
Well, to be fair, Torque was "free" long before Unity, so I doubt Unity going "free" was anywhere near as big a deal for them.

fablefox
09-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Well, to be fair, Torque was "free" long before Unity, so I doubt Unity going "free" was anywhere near as big a deal for them.

Its been a long time, so I can't remember the details. But was Torque ever free? I do remember buying it first time it went open source (but still commercial) at $99. and the only answer to "where is the documentation" is "read the source". I never see it went free here either:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_(game_engine)

Anyway, there is a difference of "Free" for a dying engine (and company. now its under new management) and a free of award winning engine that came from Mac platform. And not to mention UDK follow suit few month later. And then CryEngine.

JCG
09-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Its been a long time, so I can't remember the details. But was Torque ever free?

There was the orc village demo. You could script on that for free if I remember right, but without access to the source code unless you paid. Or maybe he means that Torque went "free" as in OSS before Unity went "free" as in beer.

I think Torque was in its $500+ phase when Unity went free.