PDA

View Full Version : How to comment a node setup

lertola2
09-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I am working on a node setup and I want to keep track of what each part of the node setup does by writing detailed comments. To do this I have been renaming unused nodes to write the comments. This is very tedious and slow way to write the comments. Does anyone know of a better way to document node setups?

Thanks for any help,
-Joe

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106657&stc=1&d=1346552560

xchrisx
09-01-2012, 10:02 PM
just FYI, there is a node limit inside of layout (at least for surfaces), so a setup like you have would probably not work in really complicated flows. as far as commenting goes, i think renaming the nodes to have a small description is about all you can do if im not mistaken.

jeric_synergy
09-01-2012, 11:05 PM
There is the node-by-node comment line, but it is physcially very far away from nodes themselves, and you can't see all the comments simultaneously.

I don't want to ask for Yet Another New Feature, but a psuedo-node that just contained user text would help keep the node count down. Might as well ask for it to be color-user-defined too, as long as I'm blue-skying here....

lertola2
09-02-2012, 06:50 AM
just FYI, there is a node limit inside of layout (at least for surfaces), so a setup like you have would probably not work in really complicated flows. as far as commenting goes, i think renaming the nodes to have a small description is about all you can do if im not mistaken.

Do you know what the node limit is? Does having unused nodes impact the speed of node evaluation?

lertola2
09-02-2012, 06:53 AM
There is the node-by-node comment line, but it is physcially very far away from nodes themselves, and you can't see all the comments simultaneously.

I don't want to ask for Yet Another New Feature, but a psuedo-node that just contained user text would help keep the node count down. Might as well ask for it to be color-user-defined too, as long as I'm blue-skying here....

I never noticed that comment line before. That will be very helpful. Thanks
-Joe

evenflcw
09-02-2012, 07:23 AM
The node limit is to my understanding inherent to the LWO format. It's the limited "chunk size" available for plugins that is the root of the problem. You simply cannot save as much plugin data as you might need within LWOs - there's a distinct hardcoded limit. Since surfaces are stored in LWOs surfaces that are textured using nodes are exposed to this limitation, but other 3rd party node editor implementations that need to save in the LWO will of course also be subject to the same limitation.

RebelHill
09-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Do you know what the node limit is? Does having unused nodes impact the speed of node evaluation?

Nope... disconnected nodes arent evaluated at rendertime. If there's lil tricks like comment lines, etc that you're after... worth checking out the interface basics, make sure you're not missing anything there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BV73Y4-NDE

jeric_synergy
09-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I never noticed that comment line before. That will be very helpful. Thanks
-Joe
Lemmee emphasize that I find YOUR method much clearer and, uhhhhh, explicative than a washed-out comment at the bottom editor, far remote from what it's addressing.

I wish all node networks were commented in your fashion, although we could use some better tools to accomplish it.

(But I'd certainly be happier if people just used the comment line AT ALL. :hey: :bangwall: )

xchrisx
09-02-2012, 11:16 AM
i just copied bricks2d about ~190 times with thumbnail previews off and not having them connected to anything before it crashed. However, I think there is also a memory limit with nodes because some of my coworkers got it to crash consistently after about 100 nodes in 11.02.

jeric_synergy
09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
i just copied bricks2d about ~190 times with thumbnail previews off and not having them connected to anything before it crashed. However, I think there is also a memory limit with nodes because some of my coworkers got it to crash consistently after about 100 nodes in 11.02.
Wouldn't it be nice if NewTek had a ten minute podcast once a week where they went through a list of such questions and answered them?

Do it at the coffee break, around a table. Matt could be the M.C.

I'd watch that. :D

(Felicia Day has a vblog where she and 3 other women dish about fantasy stories in front of their computers, and the software seems to automatically switch from speaker to speaker. So, even if the devs aren't in the same location, it could be done. But around a table would be more fun, methinks.)

lertola2
09-02-2012, 04:21 PM
The node limit is to my understanding inherent to the LWO format. It's the limited "chunk size" available for plugins that is the root of the problem. You simply cannot save as much plugin data as you might need within LWOs - there's a distinct hardcoded limit. Since surfaces are stored in LWOs surfaces that are textured using nodes are exposed to this limitation, but other 3rd party node editor implementations that need to save in the LWO will of course also be subject to the same limitation.

Are nodes other than surfaces free from this limit? The node setup I am working on is in the object properties deform tab.

lertola2
09-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Nope... disconnected nodes arent evaluated at rendertime. If there's lil tricks like comment lines, etc that you're after... worth checking out the interface basics, make sure you're not missing anything there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BV73Y4-NDE

Thank you for the video tutorial. It was very interesting. I had not realized that there were so many places you could bring up a node editor. I will have to mull over how to take advantage of them.

jeric_synergy
09-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Thank you for the video tutorial. It was very interesting. I had not realized that there were so many places you could bring up a node editor. I will have to mull over how to take advantage of them.
Lessee...
Surface
Displacement
Node Item Motion

...dang, had to go to DPont's site to see the rest. Holy guacamole.