PDA

View Full Version : Can Maya "Interface" preset for Lightwave be done?

robertoortiz
09-01-2012, 10:29 AM
EDIT: Forgot to add the "a" in the title thread...The right title should be "Can a Maya "Interface" preset for Lightwave be done? "

How can Lightwave implement Maya "Interface" preset?

In light of recent developments it is in our interest for Maya artist sto feel welcome within Lightwave. Is there a way to set up Maya "Interface" preset?

I am quite aware of the interface limitation of current LW, but this might be something that could be looked into..

What do you guys think?
Looking forward to your comments and ideas.

0R

Markc
09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
In order to achieve that, we would have to adopt the 'horrible' symbol icons all Autocrap stuff has. I for one prefer the descriptive buttons in LightWave. But I see where your going with this :)

djwaterman
09-01-2012, 11:44 AM
It was just posted recently, this might be what you are asking for.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=116016

jasonwestmas
09-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Well Icons aren't the main issue as you can obviously find everything in the Maya menus which exist as WORDS. . and access those menus via the hotbox UI as well. I would suggest exploring the Lightwave hot box that we actually do have and possibly organize that to be more like maya if possible as a preset.

jeric_synergy
09-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Ugh, now I gotta research what the Maya hotbox is....

I think the lack of .... "marker menus"??... is going to be a bigger difference in the feel of the two. But using LW's mouse menus could go a ways towards that...

MentalFish
09-01-2012, 02:31 PM
On a related note, how about next gen shortcut and menu setup for new users of LightWave. Rethink the whole setup as if the application was to be released for the first time. Keep the current setup as well, for us oldtimers that can't learn new stuff. I.e. how much sense is it that backspace in Modeler switches to polygon mode? Isn't that normally a removal-of-stuff-button in most applications? How about a more natural "translate, rotate, scale" set of buttons next to eachother: q, w, e (or similar), and toggle between point, edge and polygon mode: a, s, d. Ctrl-S for save, Shift-Ctrl-S for save as (Cmd instead of Ctrl on Mac of course).

Also, ctrl, alt and shift, could be thought of as "universal modifier keys", i.e. in Modeler ctrl: creational operations, alt: modify stuff, shift: multiply/reduce elements. And of course, the "default mode" of not using any modifier key at all, which in Modeler should perhaps be the selection mode?

Just some thoughts.

jasonwestmas
09-01-2012, 02:42 PM
yeah QWERTY style keyboard is definitely necessary in this context too.

ShadowMystic
09-01-2012, 02:57 PM
On a related note, how about next gen shortcut and menu setup for new users of LightWave. Rethink the whole setup as if the application was to be released for the first time. Keep the current setup as well, for us oldtimers that can't learn new stuff. I.e. how much sense is it that backspace in Modeler switches to polygon mode? Isn't that normally a removal-of-stuff-button in most applications? How about a more natural "translate, rotate, scale" set of buttons next to eachother: q, w, e (or similar), and toggle between point, edge and polygon mode: a, s, d. Ctrl-S for save, Shift-Ctrl-S for save as (Cmd instead of Ctrl on Mac of course).

Also, ctrl, alt and shift, could be thought of as "universal modifier keys", i.e. in Modeler ctrl: creational operations, alt: modify stuff, shift: multiply/reduce elements. And of course, the "default mode" of not using any modifier key at all, which in Modeler should perhaps be the selection mode?

Just some thoughts.

You can edit shortcuts but presets are nice for new users. However, the Lightwave style cycle selection modes is something I sorely miss in other apps. Especially MAX where I have to find the menu for more than 3 selection options.

tburbage
09-01-2012, 06:30 PM
There are some obvious custom mappings that could be done, already mentioned, such as w,e,r for move/rotate/scale, tap SPACEBAR to "zoom"/unzoom a viewport to full frame or back to its layout size (like one view mode of a quad view, etc.). And there are others...

The biggest barrier I see, if we are talking about mouse/keyboard interaction, is that some fundamental key assignments, as well as mouse behaviors, are currently non-configurable in LW. There's no facility to customize mouse or key/mouse combinations.

You can't simulate Maya's Alt+ mouse buttons for viewport navigation, nor alter LW's default assignments for same. Marking menus are the foundation of Maya's context sensitive "popup" access to commands/tools:
* SPACEBAR held down brings up the general application marking menu
* RCLICK over an object to show its object marking menu
* <key>+LCLICK for command or context specific marking menus (depending on what command is bound to <key>)
There's really no way to simulate any of that.

We do have the Ctrl+Shift+(L/M/R) mouse customizable menus, but we can't change how you access those menus.

So, at this point, the ability to customize the keyboard/mouse interface to emulate other packages is pretty limited.

Hieron
09-02-2012, 05:50 AM
+1

Would be a very usefull preset to have. For starters the mouse/keyboard interaction of viewports. (alt+ etc)

jeric_synergy
09-02-2012, 09:03 AM
I.e. how much sense is it that backspace in Modeler switches to polygon mode? Isn't that normally a removal-of-stuff-button in most applications?
LOL, I've never used that, I always use ctrl+h or cycle to it. Thanks for the tip!

I like your hotkey selection: if I were starting out I'd switch to it, but not now.

I originally sorely missed the old Volume Selections being in the spacebar cycle-- I used to use them constantly. Probably "Lasso" eliminated the need, although they are occasionally useful. But I don't even remember the hotkey off the top of my head, and IIRC it's always a question as to which Volume selection is currently active. :hammer:

geo_n
09-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I have hotkeys for lw that is adapted from 3dmax. :D
Only way to be efficient in a multi app scenario is making most of the basics the same.