View Full Version : SSD vs SSD PCIe card

09-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Anyone got an opinion on which to go for?
Looking at OWC to get SSD tech.
What do people think about the PCIe SSD as here:

over the Mercury Electra, which will limit me to 3GB, as Im on a 2008 3,1. THe PCI will give me 3x faster. But I am just thinking about how upgradable that would be in the future....

I guess this is all taking into account how i can increase the longetivity of this mac i have.

Any advice, most welcome.

09-03-2012, 08:39 AM
HMmm ok ..... lets put the question another way. Am i better off investing in just RAM? or should i also invest in SSD, or if the latter, is the PCIe card mentioned above just overkill?


09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
using a setup with 2 SSD's with 120 GB here (mac pro 2x6 core)... i'm using one as boot volume (which really helps not only at boot time, but also at launch and with all kind of application related files which need to be loaded or saved, like presets, caches etc), the other as a scratch volume for redirectable caches or scratch files (for formZ, AE, PS etc.)...

adding RAM is good in any case, and rather cheap todays... it helps especially with very large LW scenes or when working with more than one app at a time.

guess a PCI SSD is a bit faster, but on the practical side, the difference in cost is maybe justified if you do massive or large screen video comps or any other really high end use which need lots of scratch data to be moved. in everyday CG use the difference might not be that big, when compared to the acceleration which a non PCI SSD provides compared even to a fast traditional HD.

have a check here for lots of tips: http://macperformanceguide.com



09-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Hey Markus.
Thanks for the input. I have ended up going just for a normal SSD. I couldn't really justify the cost of the PCIe card right now. I tried to, but couldn't;). So 8GB more RAM and a 60 GB SSD on its way.
I started looking at Hybrid drives as well, but decided against that solution for now.

09-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Having enough ram is always good. An SSD makes the computer feel a lot quicker. Run your current Lightwave job (& LW itself) from it & once finished move the old jobs to another hard drive to free up space.

Other than rendering, Layout & Modeler will feel a lot quicker. It's also good to run Screamernet & all files from here for loading scenes. Not so much for saving frames.

As far as rendering is concerned unfortunately it's going to require new CPUs.

Once you have used an SSD there is no going back!

09-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Yea the CPU's are the downside to my Mac right now, but im just not rendering such big files, and of course there is always render farm options in the meantime.
I need to get another couple of years use out of this machine, so hopefully more RAM and the SSD will suffice for now.
What with Mac not really giving a good long overdue upgrade to their Mac Pro line until at least next year anyway, it doesnt seem to be worth letting this 3,1 mac go right now.
Reading raw-m's post about the RD MBP he bought recently, that may well be a better option, but since i bought a MBP 1st generation with the dodgy ATI combined graphics card assembled in China by some dude throwing plenty of thermal paste, and all the troubles i had with that and the fact the keyboard is faulty, and the build quality was so low for a mac what with the case (it was a 17"), i have been put off buying anything mac other than a mac pro. I wouldnt even buy an iPhone, maybe an iPad, but i dont really need one anyway. My Black 'droid rocks enough.
If apple dont provide a better upgrade to the Mac Pro line next year, or the year after even, then i i will move over to a PC and dedicate this mac to an ever growing render farm (along with the MBP).
Shame really, but Apple have been, as far as i am concerned, ignoring long term Mac Pro users for too long.

someone i know warned me off SSD's, reckoned Hybrid drives are the way forward, but im not so sure about that.

You reckon i should boot from the SSD as well, or just dedicate it to run Lightwave from it???

09-04-2012, 02:48 AM
I wouldn't bother with SSD for boot drive since you only have 60GB, save it for working files. If you can't wait a minute longer for a boot, your the one with a problem!

Once the computer is up & running, things like a responsive Modeler & Layout is really worthwhile!

PS. While it's not urgent get onto Screamernet & you will get a few more years out of your main computer, well worth the effort! (read Matt's Tutorial, it's for PC but the same principals apply)

09-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Yea ive been using screamernet for a while now