PDA

View Full Version : Flicker while cross platform rendering

riprod3
10-28-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm using Screamernet controller to render accross about 5 Macs and 4 PCs. There is difference in the way one light is rendering on one scene between the Macs and PCs. I've never had this problem before, but it is producing a flicker in the final animation. Any ideas what it could be ? the rest of the scene renders fine.

jdavidbakr
10-29-2003, 07:56 AM
The first thing to look at is if the lights in the strange scene are different somehow - It would not suprise me necesarilly if, for example, an area light renders differently on a PC than a Mac, but I for one would be interested in seeing if you can track down what is making them different.

mlinde
10-29-2003, 08:54 AM
I would check what plugins and FX you are using, or features in the lights (lens flares, volumetrics, caustics, etc.). A long time ago in a program called Lightwave 5.6d, there was a feature called skytracer. I'm going to quote from Keyframe Magazine, issue #12 (June 1999):

by Jason Goodman
It is important to note that while I have rendered thousands of frames in this mixed OS environment with great success, there are certain fundamental differences between Windows PCs and Mac OS machines. Matt (Matt Craig, former NewTek programmer) informed me that this could be seen very clearly in the rendering of scenes using Skytracer. Skytracer uses fractal math algorithms to generate its images. I do not know too much about what this means, but according to Matt, the differences between the ways the PowerPC, Pentium, and Alpha CPUs process fractals make the images look very different ... Matt added that Unix versions should render images that matched those from the Mac.

If you are using something that renders with fractals, this issue could still exist.