PDA

View Full Version : All view types implemented as camera items and vice versa

evenflcw
08-31-2012, 06:57 PM
I'd like to see development towards all view types essentially being implemented as actual camera items. Then all default views are available as cameras and whatever camera you add to the scene is also added to the bottom of the view type list. The view type list equals the camera item list. This way you can preview any camera in the viewports, and you can render any view. It fits right into current GUI. No fuss, no new functions or gui components needed.

probiner
09-01-2012, 04:43 AM
Viewport Navigation controls for camera view are very handy. But you are talking of Layout only right?

Cheers

Sensei
09-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Do you mean making camera orthographic for Top viewport, then another one for Bottom viewport, then another one for Right, Left, 6 directions, 6 cameras?

Sensei
09-01-2012, 08:29 AM
This way you can preview any camera in the viewports,

That will be probably never possible..
Some cameras like orthographic, perspective are possible to convert to OpenGL projection matrix. They use the same math formulas as OpenGL.

But there are some, such as Surface Baking Camera, which has projection matrix per spot. Camera position is flying above surface, and direction is reverse of surface normal vector.

OpenGL needs one projection matrix for entire frame (at least with normal usage).

BeeVee
09-01-2012, 08:51 AM
You can use VPR in any viewport, which means you can get a snapshot of that viewport by hitting the disk icon in the viewport icon menu...

B

evenflcw
09-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Prob: Yes I was mainly thinking of Layout. However, if Modeler viewports got the same treatment, then perhaps hooking into a Layout camera wouldn't be such a stretch anymore.

Sensei: Indeed. Not all views work as pure cameras, ex. Schematic view. And not all cameras are easily conceived in opengl (advanced/custom cameras). However as BeeVee mentions, perhaps VPR (software/non-opengl) can support all cameras(!?). There will always be exceptions. I just want to lay my suggestion out for solving a few issues in hopes to avoid solutions I feel would be less generic thus less flexible. For sure, one could design it even better, more generic, but that is not LWs tune it seems.

probiner
09-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Just to had to the same mindset (hit these recently and reminded of this thread, hopefuly not big of an intrusion):

- Viewport Limited region for camera frame in the Camera View mode, this way one can size up that Viewport and be able to see more of the surroudings (with the transparent black over it). Some times to have the ability to see the surroundings while controling what the camera is cropping from it, is crucial, and it's impossible to do it now reasonably.

- Viewport dial-in Width and Height like we do for a camera settings, instead of just mouse drag. This would allo to make previews with precise sizes. Plus, who uses VPR can output custom size images.

Cheers