PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody have success rendering FiberFx across a renderfarm?

khan973
08-31-2012, 02:33 PM
It doesn't work for me. It looks for FFX Master Handler while it's there.

khan973
08-31-2012, 02:46 PM
the renderfarm doesn't want to render it for no reason while locally it works...

Celshader
08-31-2012, 03:32 PM
FiberFX renders across a farm here at work for LightWave 10.1 and LightWave 11.0.2. Check your render farm configs.

khan973
08-31-2012, 03:48 PM
the problem must be that I render on 11.0 and worke on 11.0.3

khan973
08-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Everything renders perfectly except for FFX.
All my plugins are correctly setup.
I tried to Launch the render on one of the nodes and it doesn't work correctly, so that must be a version problem.

Greenlaw
08-31-2012, 07:58 PM
FiberFX will crash LWSN with 11.0.1 (SP1), so avoid that version for network rendering.

FiberFX renders perfectly fine with LWSN/Network with 11.0.2 (SP2) and .03 (SP3). There have been other stability and interface fixes since 11.0.1, so updating is highly recommended.

G.

khan973
09-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Ok, it renders test renders.

But Big problem. I can't rely on guides...

I tried to edit guides to style my cat (surface mode).
When editing is done, I can render the fur with the style I created.
If I save the scene and close it, when reopening it, the style doesn't exist anymore.

Then I do it again and when it's finished I use LW Dynamics (on FFX, Geometry Panel). It creates guides that help the surface mode.
When I save and reopen, my scene is corrupted (RENDER_Chat_poils_Alone_v003.lws)
After many tries, if by chance it's not corrupted (RENDER_Chat_poils_Alone_v002.lws) It doesn't render fur anymore.
There is no way to tell it to grow the fur on surface and to use the guides.
If I click again on LW Dynamics, it messes up the guides and sometimes my model.

If I use the guides on an other layer, Of course I can grow hair, but they won't have the UV map of the object so the texture won't work and it doesn't use all the surface of the object. Spacin the guides is not an option, coverage doesn't work well.

Any solution? 5 days trying stuff, it's driving me nuts... I didn't use it for a long time cause it wasn't reliable, I thought it had been fixed... considering the time / money I've wasted, I could have payed a dev to fix it :)

DogBoy
09-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I tried to edit guides to style my cat (surface mode).
When editing is done, I can render the fur with the style I created.
If I save the scene and close it, when reopening it, the style doesn't exist anymore.

The only time I saw that was when there had been changes to the model after styling.

khan973
09-01-2012, 07:02 AM
No change at all :(
I've tried everything I know, every tips I found on the forum & videos, no success... I fogbugz it.

geo_n
09-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Lets collect all FFX related stuff in this thread.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=127311&page=7

Network rendering works for me but I'm using backburner not sure of others.
I don't use edit guides in layout. I think that's broken same as biasmaps and ffx dynamics is still wip unless using cloth effects on spline guides.
Usually I have ffx on a different layer so that any topological changes in the main model does not affect the ffx layer.

khan973
09-01-2012, 07:37 AM
yes but how do you apply your object's texture then? UV map doesn't work on generated guides.

geo_n
09-01-2012, 08:47 AM
yes but how do you apply your object's texture then? UV map doesn't work on generated guides.

Do you mean texture for fiberfx? Image node with uv and texturemap plug to color in ffx.
Sorry if that's not it but what are you trying to do?

Celshader
09-01-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't use edit guides in layout. I think that's broken same as biasmaps

Edit Guides works in 11.0.2, saves its styling information with the scene file, and styling remains as long as the point order/count of the object remains.

We're going to be using Edit Guides this month to get us through another episode of a TV show.

khan973
09-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Do you mean texture for fiberfx? Image node with uv and texturemap plug to color in ffx.
Sorry if that's not it but what are you trying to do?

Thank you, I tried that.
My object is a cat with a UV map.
I grow fur on the surface and edit guides. Any fiber generated, be it with lw dynamics or polygonize is missing an UV map.
They don't relate to the base mesh (let's say a Panther pattern).
One solution I have in mind would be a nodal setup so that fiber's color gets affected by the closest color of the base mesh.
I'm just to tired to be able to concentrate and figure how the heck I can make this.

geo_n
09-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Edit Guides works in 11.0.2, saves its styling information with the scene file, and styling remains as long as the point order/count of the object remains.

We're going to be using Edit Guides this month to get us through another episode of a TV show.

I'll have to try it. Last time it was super buggy. I put 0 gravity on frame zero and click lw dynamics and hair ogl reacts to dynamics but its flaky, noisy dynamics.

Thank you, I tried that.
My object is a cat with a UV map.
I grow fur on the surface and edit guides. Any fiber generated, be it with lw dynamics or polygonize is missing an UV map.
They don't relate to the base mesh (let's say a Panther pattern).
One solution I have in mind would be a nodal setup so that fiber's color gets affected by the closest color of the base mesh.
I'm just to tired to be able to concentrate and figure how the heck I can make this.

For fur its same like Sas by using a texture image to generate the color for fur. So if you paint your panther for example in 3dcoat, the texture can be used for ffx. The quick test above I did in 3dcoat to color stripes on the pants directly on the mesh and ffx is generated on the mesh but I don't recommend it, less control and any topology changes its destroyed like any other hairplugin. I think its also better to control length with grayscale input into nodes than weightmaps.