PDA

View Full Version : Can't Load .iff textures

Viridian
10-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Hello everyone. What a great forum! For a LW noobie like myself, it's a great help and inspiration (on those days when I feel like beating my head against the keyboard :D).

I've created and textured a model for a game modification. My textures were originally done in .jpg format (and created in PSP7).

The game requires I use .iff (Amiga) format textures. Using PSP 7 I converted them to .iff format.

However, when I attempt to load an .iff image in the UV window, LW doesn't seem to recognize it as a valid format. Simply put, nothing happens.

Is there a setting I've missed somewhere? Do I need some sort of plugin? I've gone through the manual extensively, the Inside Lightwave book, searching this forum and others... even trial and error (trying every button and tab in Modeler :D -- took about an hour!).

Any help greatly, greatly, appreciated. I've beat my head against this for four days now. :(

Thanks,

-Viridian

pdrake
10-28-2003, 05:16 PM
try saving them with a different name. sometimes that works. if that doesn't work post one of the files in the forum and i'll try and load it and see if it works for me.

perry

Viridian
10-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi Pdrake. I renamed the file and attempted to load it in the UV window. Still the same result... nothing happens.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'd checked to make sure every plugin in which comes with LW is added. They are.

I'm attaching the file, though I'm not sure if it will go through (being a .iff file). If it does not, let me know and I'll zip it and attach it that way.

Thanks for your help on this.

-Viridian

<edit> Well, as you can see, I had to zip it to send it. Hopefully the compression won't mess anything up.

pdrake
10-28-2003, 08:59 PM
i had no problems with it, other than it being really, really dark on my system. i'm on a mac. i made a cube and applied it with a new name, no prob. here, see if this loads.

perry

pdrake
10-28-2003, 09:01 PM
make sure you have show backdrop selected in the display options for the panel you are showing your uv texture in.

Viridian
10-28-2003, 11:02 PM
That is so bizzare. The object you sent opens fine, and displays the texture correctly. After loading the object, I can select the veridianhelp.iff backdrop image and it loads and displays perfectly in the UV window.

But I still cannot open any .iff images I have. When I attempt to open the cabin_wall_uv.iff image (the same image I sent you) it does nothing... no image at all.

In fact, I can open the veridianhelp.iff image you sent me without opening the model. It's like there's something wrong with the .iff images my PaintShop Pro is creating.

This is really leading me to believe there's something wrong with the images and not Modeler. The iff image you sent back loads fine (so modeler is, in fact, loading the iff format), and jpg images load fine.

I think I'm going to try reformatting the images in PSP again and see if something's going wrong there. I'm certainly no master of PSP, so maybe there's some settings there I've got wrong. If that does not work, I'll reinstall LW and see what that does.

Perry, thank you for all your help with this. I could not have tracked this down without your help. It's very nice of you to offer your time to help the noobie-on-the-block.

Thanks again,

-Viridian

Viridian
10-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Good grief, I'm an idiot. ;)

When you save_as .iff format in PSP 7, you can press the Options button at the bottom of the prompt screen. You then have the option of saving in iff-compressed format or iff-non-compressed format.

LW Modeler will not open the compressed format (at least, mine won't :D ). It opens the uncompressed like a charm.

Perry, I suspect that, when I sent you my .iff file and you extracted it from the zip file, all compression was removed... and thus Modeler had no problems opening it.

Ah well, live and learn. Perhaps I should devote equal time to learning LW and Paint Shop Pro. ;)

Thanks.

-Viridian

pdrake
10-29-2003, 10:20 AM
you're welcome. glad you were able to figure it out.

perry