PDA

View Full Version : TV Commercials?

rrae33
10-28-2003, 04:29 PM
I am interested in doing animation work for TV Commercials etc. Can someone explain where and how my animation fits into the Commercial process. Eg. Let's say I desingned the M&M guys would I submit the work as AVI, if so how would that be added to he final product.

Jimzip
10-29-2003, 03:05 AM
Ooh. That's tough.

Maybe I interpreted this wrong but here goes...

For TV, animations need to be rendered at pretty high resolutions, and I'm not even sure if they're encoded (someone who works in a studio can help me out here), but it goes from concept, to concept sketches, to rough animatics, to animation, to editing, to TV.
That's the general flow for making a broadcast-quality ad.

Your animation gets made from the ideas presented in the animatics and the concept sketches. You'd be involved in nearly every stage of production though, so that you can tweak and change to the client's wants. Or you could just work it until the whole thing is done and then show the final product to the client, however that's a little risky.. ;)

Jimzip :D

Jimzip
10-29-2003, 03:05 AM
Sorry, double post.

Zafar Iqbal
10-29-2003, 07:58 AM
Where and how you animatikns can fit, depends totally on the commercial itself - sometimes a fully rendered commercial or sequences are needed, while mostly only some elements are composisted into live footage.

If you worked on the M&M's, you COULD deliver as uncompressed AVI, or tga imagesequence - but most facilities prefer material they can use right away.

When we finish anything, we ship the final footage on DV tape - renderes as DV AVI.

DV recorders/players are rather expensives, but i think thats what you should aim for.

Jimzip
10-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Phew. Thanks Zafar.
And resolutions for DV are:

PAL : 720 x 576
NTSC: 720 x 480

Maimo
10-29-2003, 10:34 PM
I usually work in NTSC d1 myself 720x486 and render using the avid codec, since we edit everything using avid media composer.

also we shoot everything in High-def 24 frames progressive, right now we are converting that to ntsc d1. most of my lightwave stuff is renderd 32 bit and we comp it to live shots with Digital fusion or afterFX. Rarly do i render in HighDef resolutions, maybe in a couple years we'll start making the final cuts to HD format.

hope that sheds some light on things.