PDA

View Full Version : "Creator's Summer Session" session rerun possible?

phillydee
08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Is I only started watching 15 minutes in--will this be available for viewing on Ustream after live streaming concludes? And how long would it be archived? Damn this time-zone thing!

robpowers3d
08-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Is I only started watching 15 minutes in--will this be available for viewing on Ustream after live streaming concludes? And how long would it be archived? Damn this time-zone thing!

I will ask DStorm if we can host the achives of their show.

nickdigital
08-30-2012, 11:41 PM
I will ask DStorm if we can host the achives of their show.

Yes please! I'd like to get some sleep. :D

robpowers3d
08-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Yes please! I'd like to get some sleep. :D

Wow! Are you watching the segment now? The presenter is showing amazing Anime work in LightWave! Really looks great.

phillydee
08-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes please! I'd like to get some sleep.

heh! I've pulled a 14 hour day... :( but this stuff is sooo cool. The first Windows version of Lightwave I ever tried was a copy my friend ordered from D-Storm. I even got to go with him to pick it up at their office... can't remember what version--4? 5? Geez, can't remember.

I'm really interested in some of the 2D/3D integration process that the guy was showing right before I got on, it'd be great to go back and review...

nickdigital
08-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Wow! Are you watching the segment now? The presenter is showing amazing Anime work in LightWave! Really looks great.

Yeah, this is so much fun. But if these could be archived then I could watch them later. Don't wanna be dozing off in my morning meeting tomorrow. :hey:

And I've got the Drone clip on another tab. Way too much LW going on this late in the night. :D

OFF
08-31-2012, 12:18 AM
+1 for if it "will be available for viewing on Ustream after live streaming concludes".

phillydee
08-31-2012, 07:46 AM
OK looks like D-Storm kindly made each session available. Scrubed through these quick, if I got something wrong I apologise.... (anyone up for some fan-subbing? :thumbsup:)

Lightwave 11/11.5 presentation(Intro, Siggraph stuff etc.):
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25078637 (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25079655)

Koi Choco & AIC: anime production workflows etc. Interesting technique using the CCTV camera at the end with the birdcage @ 55:00
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25079655

(Haven't viewed the next two, looks really awesome though)

Akira Suzuki, freelancer who worked on Gonzo's Blue Submarine no. 6's 3D shots etc.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25080411

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25081120

phillydee
08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Wow this last video's a total goldmine... Shuuhei Morita from Yamatoworks (Kakurembo OAV director), Mr. Sakamoto and Mr. Takahashi from Sunrise.... a must-see!

nickdigital
08-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks to DStorm for archiving these! :thumbsup:

LW_Will
08-31-2012, 11:24 AM
I was fascinated by the whole thing! I speak no Japanese, I know bits of the language, but I was there watching, running back to the google translate... looking up everything they mentioned.

I was CAPTIVATED by the show!

Take aways...

I want to understand the 3DLO system. It seems to be digital stand-ins on the digital storyboards, that seem to mark the pacing, timing, and shadows...? Maybe...? Want to know more about that!

The scenes of the street, gas station, and park (shrine?) areas were amazing!

The gentleman who was from GONZO with the live action clip (?). Robots rising from the dirt... an amazing presentation! It was a combo, here's my thing, visually... here's how I made it! A great presentation.
(We might have to get him for a LW San Diego meeting!)

But, by far, the greatest presentation was by the gentlemen from YAMATOWORKS! These guys are living the dream, they are using Lightwave to make FILMS! Anime FILMS!

And they are doing it because they aren't building the models (people) to make nice models. They are making the models for the CAMERA! A single camera!! I believe they call this "brute force" animation? No. It is elegance! It is a technique, a workflow if you will, that uses the uniqueness of the medium (i.e. LWO obj's) to its greatest strength. It shows the artist that the one thing they SHOULD be worried about is how their work is seen by the world. That is through a single camera. Come on, making bits closer to the camera bigger? Really! :bowdown:

They are doing it. I mean, three projects since FREEDOM! And they all look amazing!

Thanks to Rob for pointing this out on the ustreams. The only downside was, it was in Japanese! :help:

</sincere> Oh! If only there were SOMEONE, possibly someone living IN JAPAN, who could summerize the talks. That would be amazingly helpful! </sincere>

;-)

Rob you rock! D-Storm you rock! YAMATOWORKS, you are the quarry, my friends!

ps. the one thing I really want from the event? Those bottles of Lightwave Water! Did you see those? ;-)

phillydee
08-31-2012, 11:38 AM
I want to understand the 3DLO system. It seems to be digital stand-ins on the digital storyboards, that seem to mark the pacing, timing, and shadows...? Maybe...? Want to know more about that!

From what I understood(bear with me I'm no fluent speaker... hardly), 3DLO stands for "3D Lay Out". Basically, they take the 2D storyboard, and replicate it in 3D. It appears as if it's all just Lightwave; though I reviewed that video very early this morning so I may have missed a significant point or three. I think they were explaining the workflow process and the importance of adding in the 3DLO to their workflow. As for what application/system used, I don't believe that was touched on as much as just the workflow itself.

The scenes of the street, gas station, and park (shrine?) areas were amazing!

I believe these were actual assets from Persona 4. I can't recall if he said these were from the actual PS3 game or for the cutscenes. Argh, my Japanese is not what it SHOULD be... dang.

(We might have to get him for a LW San Diego meeting!)

How often do these happen? I'd be there in a flash!

robpowers3d
08-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Seriously guys, when I visited the studios in Japan two years ago I was blown away by the LightWave work being done in Japan that the rest of the world didn't really know much about.

At that moment I knew that we had to help get this work seen around the world and this event is part of that effort. DStorm is our Distributor in Japan and they are exceptional.

I look forward to what we are going to share with everyone moving forward. I was watching the entire event myself live and loved every presentation. Really Great Stuff!

Oedo 808
08-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Seriously guys, when I visited the studios in Japan two years ago I was blown away by the LightWave work being done in Japan that the rest of the world didn't really know much about.

At that moment I knew that we had to help get this work seen around the world and this event is part of that effort. DStorm is our Distributor in Japan and they are exceptional.

I look forward to what we are going to share with everyone moving forward. I was watching the entire event myself live and loved every presentation. Really Great Stuff!

I look forward to seeing what is to come. There seems to have been a fair interest in plug-in development from Japan in days gone by, out of curiosity has this translated to much of a Japanese presence on the LightWave development team?

DogBoy
09-01-2012, 05:32 AM
I look forward to seeing what is to come. There seems to have been a fair interest in plug-in development from Japan in days gone by, out of curiosity has this translated to much of a Japanese presence on the LightWave development team?

Only David Ikeda these days I think.

Oedo 808
09-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Only David Ikeda these days I think.

Ahh, thanks. I could be talking nonsense but I seem to recall after some nifty tools popped up that some comment was made in regards to NT being in contact with Japan, I just wondered if anything came of it in regards to development rather than just works to be showcased. Was just curious is all. Of course any contact could have been for NT to procure an elusive sake as much as anything else.