08-30-2012, 05:32 AM
it's just nerve-wrecking to work with rounder as you can see below
is there a plugin for edge chamfer?

if not, what are the alternatives?
Bandsaw is good but doesn't do well if I have to freeze the mesh
the polycount is way too high.

steve0077
08-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Worked fine with 11.03 . Select one edge at a time and do the rounding. Be sure adjacent surfaces in the numeric panel is unchecked.

Tobian
08-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Yeah that's simple enough as long as you remember that Rounder is not edge-aware.. it only sees points.. So if it can smooth between any 2 given points it will.

I do agree it needs replacing with one that is edge aware, and doesn't have the known bugs, but this one is easy enough to solve :)

Pavlov
08-30-2012, 08:16 AM
LWcad's mass round goes a looong way. You must know few caveats but it can solve most situations.

Paolo

Jim M
08-30-2012, 08:24 AM
LWcad's mass round goes a looong way. You must know few caveats but it can solve most situations.

Paolo

This is exceptionally true.
When you figure out how it likes to work you can do amazing chamfers and fillets in a very reliable way + interactive + adjust individual edge fillet widths. + much more stable.

zardoz
08-30-2012, 08:28 AM
with the example you're showing I guess if you use rounder in an edge loop it will work just fine. You can't use it in the entire mesh...

ccclarke
08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Rounder is an excellent tool once you understand how it works. On your example, Rounder failed to do what you wanted because you asked it to work on all points at once.

On a cylindrical object, apply Rounder to one end or Edge loop at a time and you'll avoid creating all of the extra edges/geometry running the length of the cyclinder.

Here's a link to some Rounder tips I posted at Spinquad awhile back that might help: http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?26409-rounder-problem&highlight=rounder

CCC :beerchug:

gordonrobb
08-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Yes as everyone is saying, you're just using it wrong. You select the points you want rounded and it will always found the edges between points. So for example in a plain cylinder. If you dont select eanything it will round every edge. If you select the points on the top disc and th bottom (assuming no cuts between the two) it will still round everything. You need to select the top points, round. Then the bottom points and round. Ouput a cut between th two and select the top and bottom points and make sure the middle ones aren't selected. It really works well once you get used to how to use it.

Jim M
08-30-2012, 09:05 AM
+Just throwing this in the mix ... One of the features of Mass Round that a lot of people miss is its ability to round Ngons...

erikals
08-30-2012, 10:57 AM
that rocks! must have!

gordonrobb
08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Don't get me wrong. Mass round is awesome, but as part of LWCad its a bloody expensive replacement for something that's included. Plus rounder could handle that too if you had an edge loop round the hole.

ccclarke
08-30-2012, 01:31 PM
And across the corners . . .

CC

jeric_synergy
08-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Did this (see before/after). All that was necessary was to chose every OTHER point loop. 3 Rounder operations.

So, what Rounder really needs is just a "Select Alternate Loops" command. :D

renderwerx
08-30-2012, 05:42 PM
oh right.

awesome from you guys :thumbsup:
THANKS for that
it helped
whahoooo

I had a look at Mass Round
phew... NICE, but .....the price is a bit steep
but hell of a great tool, for sure

Snosrap
08-30-2012, 08:44 PM
I had a look at Mass Round
phew... NICE, but .....the price is a bit steep
but hell of a great tool, for sure
Mass Round is only a very small portion of the LWCad toolset. It's not at all expensive in my mind for what you get. Most prople think it's just for archvis - wrong! LWCad 4.2 is freak'n amazing!

Jim M
08-31-2012, 02:16 AM
And across the corners . . .

CC

...and the base of the cylinder.

...and the top of the cylinder

gordonrobb
08-31-2012, 03:05 AM
Rounder would handle the base and top of the cylinder fine. It has no problems with Ngons. What it has a problem with is points with strange numbers of edges coming off. That's why an edge loop in the hole would be needed. Regarding the corners, I would just cut each of the edges in the corner detailing to put an extra point in the middle of each line, and make sure those points weren't selected and it would all work hunky dory.

lardbros
08-31-2012, 05:37 AM
I'm all over LWCAD like a tramp on chips... it's an incredible toolset for the money. You'll never touch LW's built in modelling tools again! :D